Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

History Points to Jackson or Euell

I've been supporting Charlton for over 40 years and the common factor for our most successful years is appointing from within the club or managers with a connection to SE7. 

Here's my blog on the search for a new manager.

Comments

• Options
    AlecB said:
    I've been supporting Charlton for over 40 years and the common factor for our most successful years is appointing from within the club or managers with a connection to SE7. 

Here's my blog on the search for a new manager.

A good read, nice one.
    you mention “ the fans expect young players to get opportunities in the first team...”
    Well if NA is given the job, he does have history of doing this, so could be good?
    I’m looking to be positive and get behind the decision.
  • Options
    I very much agree that I feel more comfortable with a "Charlton" man in charge. But that might be heart ruling head, even though I don't see any viable outside candidate who I would leap at the chance of being in charge.   
  • Options
    Either of those two would be nice. I thought Jacko looked like a rabbit caught in headlights the other night but that’s understandable given the circumstances. Nevertheless, he stepped in and stepped up, shame about not making the effort to dress appropriately and make the most of showing he’s in charge. Saturday will be the game which will tell us if he’s ready or not. No shame if he isn’t just yet.
  • Options
    Either of those two would be nice. I thought Jacko looked like a rabbit caught in headlights the other night but that’s understandable given the circumstances. Nevertheless, he stepped in and stepped up, shame about not making the effort to dress appropriately and make the most of showing he’s in charge. Saturday will be the game which will tell us if he’s ready or not. No shame if he isn’t just yet.
    Thought he looked good on the touchline. Stylish bloke is JJ. 
  • Options
    No room in business for sentiment or fluffing, we need a man in to do a job that has tasted promotion before. Jason & Johnny may be names for the future but let them learn their trade somewhere else before returning.
  • Options
    No room in business for sentiment or fluffing, we need a man in to do a job that has tasted promotion before. Jason & Johnny may be names for the future but let them learn their trade somewhere else before returning.
    both euell and jacko were in the league 1 promotion squad, euell has been in promotion sides before, they know what it takes to get out of this division and how to get promoted out of the championship.

Imo it's riskier bringing in a "known" name and them failing, than it is taking a chance on a novice manager and then failing.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Rules history is made to be broken.

Seed and Lawrence weren’t former Charlton players. It’s not the only way we can be successful.
    But, since Lawrence, we haven't been blessed with conspicuously successful managers when we have recruited a non-former player. 

Dowie 
    Reed 
    Parkinson 
    Riga 
    Peeters 
    Matthew 
    Luzon 
    Fraeye 
    Slade 
    Nugent 
    Robinson 

Eleven managerial appointments.  Zero promotions.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Scoham said:

Seed and Lawrence weren’t former Charlton players. It’s not the only way we can be successful.
    But, since Lawrence, we haven't been blessed with conspicuously successful managers when we have recruited a non-former player. 

Dowie 
    Reed 
    Parkinson 
    Riga 
    Peeters 
    Matthew 
    Luzon 
    Fraeye 
    Slade 
    Nugent 
    Robinson 

The common denominator there is also that they were in charge under poor ownership and management 
  • Options
    Weren’t “our most successful years” under Jimmy Seed who had no affiliation with Charlton prior to managing us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Thought he looked good on the touchline. Stylish bloke is JJ. 
    And if he took his guitar out with him he could serenade the fourth official instead of giving him dog's abuse like all the other managers.

We might start getting more decisions in our favour ...
  • Options
    History is pointing to Adkins chaps.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Chizz said:
    Scoham said:

Dowie 
    Reed 
    Parkinson 
    Riga 
    Peeters 
    Matthew 
    Luzon 
    Fraeye 
    Slade 
    Nugent 
    Robinson 

The common denominator there is also that they were in charge under poor ownership and management 
    The same poor ownership and management for 8 of those 11!

Don't think you can say Dowie was under poor ownership and management. He was given £12m to spend - he bought Andy Reid who was brilliant, and Diawara who was satisfactory enough that we got most of our money back a year later. The rest of the money he might as well have set fire to.
  • Options
    I’ve not seen many of our managers receive the treatment bowyer has on here site past few months and he was ‘one of ours’. Maybe it doesn’t matter.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    lolwray said:
    Chizz said:
    Scoham said:

Dowie 
    Reed 
    Parkinson 
    Riga 
    Peeters 
    Matthew 
    Luzon 
    Fraeye 
    Slade 
    Nugent 
    Robinson 

The same poor ownership and management for 8 of those 11!

Don't think you can say Dowie was under poor ownership and management. He was given £12m to spend - he bought Andy Reid who was brilliant, and Diawara who was satisfactory enough that we got most of our money back a year later. The rest of the money he might as well have set fire to.
    Totally off topic but didn't we try and sign Faye and Traore in winter but Murray said we couldn't afford them?  
  • Options
    History also says that we probably would never of had Lennie, Curbs, Parkinson or Bowyer etc as managers at all if we had had the money or the motivation to actually look for someone else.  Some time it works out, sometimes it doesn't.