Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dads Army - favourite episodes / scenes

2»

Comments

• Options
    The Turkey Dinner is my favourite.

The committee meeting where they organise the meal is an absolute classic.

• Options
    Dad's Army had a superb cast - Arthur Lowe and John Le Mesurier made it all look effortless. Some great scripts.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I absolutely love Dad’s Army. I love the episode where Mainwaring ends up dreaming he is Napoleon, and I think it’s the one with the ‘toasted cheese supper’ and the charming female bus conductor. It’s brilliant.
    Another favourite is the one with the potato wine where they all get into a bundle at the end with the wardens and Hodges. 
    Mainwaring and Wilson were beautifully acted, but all the cast were very strong.
    Love it. 🙂
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Just hearing the first notes of 'Who do you think, you are kidding Me Hitler?' and I'm transported back to my childhood, sitting with my parents and sister, tracking the triangular Union Jack pointing away frantically in Kent whilst snake-like swastika-headed lines slither across France.

We cut to the church hall of Walmington-on-Sea and it's a cocoon of nostalgia. Even if there's an occasional episode where the writing flags, it's such a pleasure to be in the company of Mainwaring, Wilson, Fraser, Jones, Pike, Godfrey and Walker. And it doesn't stop there: Hodges, the vicar, the verger, Mrs Pike, Mrs Fox, Mr Blueitt... it's hard to think of another comedy with such a rich array of characters. If it's not the best comedy, it's hard to argue that it's not the most loved.

Favourite episode? For me, possibly the one in which they turn on Godfrey for being a conscientious objector but later learn he was a heroic medic. 
    I don't know if this is true but if it isn't, it should be.  Conchies were given an interview to determine if they were real pacifists or just cowards or malingerers, with questions designed to lure them into a violent response or answer.  One bloke, on being asked what he would do if he saw his grandmother being raped by a German soldier, replied he'd wait until the German had finished and then rebury her.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    "Don't tell him Spike!"

Nuff said.
    Lol.  Mixing up your Dad's Army and your Hi-di-Hi!  I loved Ted's "First rule of comedy, Spike...." which was different every week.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    'If the Cap Fits'
    Mainwaring piping in the haggis, much to Frazer's amazement and disgust. When he shoulders the pipes Wilson says to Mainwaring "Are you absolutely sure you are doing the right thing?" to which Mainwaring replies:
    "I spent my honeymoon in a remote village in Scotland called InverGeechie. It was a wild and lonely place. The nights were long ... and there was nothing else to do."

• Options
    This is a bit random, but my niece mentioned that she'd called her rabbit Bootsie (stay with me).  Anyway,  for some unknown reason it made me think of Bootsie and Snudge.  Although I remembered watching it as a very young boy I couldn't remember what it was about so I googled it, got an episode up on screen and watched it. (you still here?) 

Now about 14 minutes in Clive Dunn makes an appearance (nearly there), he is called both Meadows and Johnson by one actor - which must be a mistake - but  his character is identical to Corporal Jones.  He mentions Lord Kitchener, the Sudan, Spion kop, Ladysmith and of course bayonets. 

Clive Dunn could only have been in his late 30s when he created this character.  It did very well for him over a very long time. (Phew).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILztFNwaN8