Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Lorimer RIP

Leeds United's all-time record goalscorer Peter Lorimer has died aged 74, the club have announced.

The former Scotland international scored 238 goals in 705 appearances for Leeds over two spells spanning 23 years.

He won two league titles, the FA Cup and League Cup with Leeds under legendary manager Don Revie.

Leeds announced "with great sadness" that Lorimer had died on Saturday morning "following a long-term illness.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

Comments

• Options
    RIP talented player
  • Options
    Very sad. Part of a very good Leeds side.RIP
  • Options
    ‘The hardest shot in football ‘

RIP
  • Options
    Reckoned to have had the hardest shot in the game at that time

RIP
  • Options
    Been a tough year for Leeds greats. RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Good player. RIP Peter. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    ‘The hardest shot in football ‘

RIP
    I remember my old man saying that and he played at The Valley in possibly a midweek game when he was pretty old and Leeds were singing their “We are the champions , champions of Europe “ chant 

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Peter, never forget his long range shooting.
    He'd have had a 100% shot/goals record against Ben Amos.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Oh that's sad news. I'm a bit young to have seen him in his prime but caught him in his second spell at Leeds. Great player and loved by them.

Nice obituary and coverage of his career here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56353103
  • Options
    Gosh he had a shot on him.  RIP
  • Options
    RIP, I actually saw him score for Leeds against us at Elland Rd in the early 80’s.
  • Options
    Playing football as a kid, when I took a shot I always shouted "and its Lorimer" as I put my laces through it.
    RIP
  • Options
    Oh no, my first football hero. I so wanted to have a hot shot like him but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t emulate him. RIP Peter
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I never liked Leeds but Lorimer was a football hero with that terrific shot. I too longed for a shot like his, but having said that so did most professional footballers. R.I.P.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Peter
  • Options
    Sad news, a footballer I always liked watching.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP to a footballing legend. A true superstar. I remember him scoring the winner against us in a 1-0 game at Elland Road.  He must have been nearly 40 at the time.  It was right at the end of his career.
  • Options
    RIP Peter, never forget his long range shooting.
    He'd have had a 100% shot/goals record against Ben Amos.
    Tbf, so would Simon Church.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP hot shot Lorimer. Loved the way he clapped his hands above his head when he scored 
  • Options
    Been a tough year for Leeds greats. RIP
    RIP.

Like them or not, that Leeds team of the late 60s/early 70s was some team and as you say so many of them - Sprake, Madeley, Giles, Charlton, Hunter, Bremner, Cherry - have passed away recently.

Which makes it even more poignant for those of us of a certain vintage who remember watching them in their prime when we were young men as well. 
  • Options
    Seriously good footballer.
    RIP Peter.
  • Options
    Blimey, blast from the past.  RIP 
  • Options
    Hot Shot Lorimer .. R I P
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sad year for Leeds,

RIP
  • Options
    Wouldn't like to be in the way of one of his shots. RIP to a true legend.