Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Long way off!

But how could we afford a squad capable of staying in the championship if we was too get there one day?.

Comments

• But how could we afford a squad capable of staying in the championship if we was too get there one day?.
    We were within a point of doing it last season without a pot to piss in 
  • edited March 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    But how could we afford a squad capable of staying in the championship if we was too get there one day?.
    So what money would be available this time round if we made it?.
  • edited March 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    Money from multiple revenue sources - TV, tickets, sponsorship, commercial and corporate revenue. 
  • se9addick said:
    wmcf123 said:

Money from multiple revenue sources - TV, tickets, sponsorship, commercial and corporate revenue. 
    But will it be enough?,I mean how would we afford a £45m squad for example?.
  • It doesn't matter yet.
  • I’d assume Thomas went invest money into signings hence his 6 year or whatever it is plan to get to the prem.
  • Thomas has a plan. Why the negativity? 
  • edited March 2021
    First of all we might not need anywhere near £45m. Secondly Sandgaard has a bit of his own money he can spend. Not sure how much but certainly more than Duchatelet ever did & a f**king shed load more than ESI did. 

You're not Paul Elliott by any chance - I wonderd where you'd been hiding recently.
  • se9addick said:
    wmcf123 said:

But will it be enough?,I mean how would we afford a £45m squad for example?.
    Why do you need a 45m squad? 
  • Sponsored links:

• redman said:
    Thomas has a plan. Why the negativity? 
    I’m sure Liverpool planned to win the title but it took them 30 years
  • edited March 2021
    To build a decent Championship squad these days costs salaries rather than transfer fees. 
  • If we got to the Championship I wouldn't be surprised to see another investor join Thomas, whether that's someone like one of the Andrews (Barclay or Muir) . Or if we see a more moneyball type approach that is serving Barnsley so well this season.

All a long way off though! 
  • I really don’t understand the rationale for stating this thread.
  • Depends what the actual plan is. If it’s to get everything at the club functioning as well as it can from Academy to first team, from back room staff to club shop then that puts us on a very sound footing. A launch pad to something better but ultimately it’s going to be cold hard cash that’s cleverly spent that will light the blue touch paper. Yes we might see a steady progression of talent from Sparrows Lane to The Valley but alone that won’t be enough. We will need to spend money so any success will largely depend on what TS is prepared to stump up. I’m hoping this summer is the last time we see a major rebuilding process and we sign players with quality to make the jump on two / three year contracts to provide the manager with the tools to get promotion. Anything less, then what’s the point.
  • If we get recruitment right and pick out the right academy players then we have a much better chance of success on the pitch.

If we have success on the pitch we’ll have players that interest other clubs.

If we negotiate well we’ll be able sell players for millions, maybe tens of millions in some cases.

You can the invest some of that in a better squad and the cycle starts again.

Easier said than done of course but last two promotion seasons could have been built on had it not been for the ownership issues.

Looking forward to an exciting hungry young squad being built in the summer.

It should be the last summer requiring 10+ first team signings for a while, hopefully a long time.
  • I wonder if the suspected sale of Nick Pope and the sell on bonus Charlton would get will be highly significant in our summer plans. Could seriously increase the budget.
  • The two previous times we were promoted, had we kept hold of our squads, had a couple of youth ayers coming through and made the right couple of acquisitions we would have done well.  Instead we have had our squads dismantled.  Look at Barnsley and dare I say, Millwall as examples of how to do it.
  • The two previous times we were promoted, had we kept hold of our squads, had a couple of youth ayers coming through and made the right couple of acquisitions we would have done well.  Instead we have had our squads dismantled.  Look at Barnsley and dare I say, Millwall as examples of how to do it.
    Not a strategy but the consequences of Duchatelet and the knobs that succeeded him. 
  • Thanks for the replies I know Barnsley and Luton stay up.Just £45m squad for example as ours is under £6m at the moment.£13m in the championship last time.Millwall over £30m, Birmingham is £40m.
  • Sponsored links:

• i wouldn't worry about it. there's little chance of us getting there any time soon. 
  • When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boardman were off on yet another adventure. :/
  • Thanks for the replies I know Barnsley and Luton stay up.Just £45m squad for example as ours is under £6m at the moment.£13m in the championship last time.Millwall over £30m, Birmingham is £40m.
    So why are Birmingham near the bottom and Barnsley near the top? Nobody is expecting us to go up and then make the Championship play offs. We simply have to be in a position where the recruitment is spot on, picking up players who rise in value. Even if we’re forced to sell them that money then needs to be reinvested and we can steadily grow. It’a the Brentford model and one I think TS will be eager to replicate. 
  • We're on a journey and it might take a few years.