Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Victor King - RIP

Comments

• Options
    running a museum isn't all glamour and showing Thomas Sandgaard around.

Nick collected the 2nd of three parts of John King's collection today.

Thank Gawd the lift was working.
  • Options
    But there is some gold in those boxes

Like this scrapbook from 1973/4, one of many

• Options
    Just to to say it's part 2 of 4 car loads and the lift wasn't working  :(
  • Options
    There are 6 boxes just of scrapbooks and approx 120 box files full of programmes.
  • Options
    Still no chance of getting a photo of this chap lads ?
  • Options

Great Who & Humble Pie pics there.
  • Options
    Still no chance of getting a photo of this chap lads ?
    We have asked the family but were told there was none suitable. I'm told he liked his own company. Any regular away traveller in the early 70's must of known him by sight. There wasn't many of us in those days.
  • Options

Great Who & Humble Pie pics there.
    Lou Reed
  • Options
    RIP John King
  • Options
    Would love to see a photo if John. Surely he would be known to many of us....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So would we.
  • Options
    So would we.
    We must have been on the flight to Newcastle together unless he bought his 14838 badge later.
  • Options
    Other than the thousands of Charlton programmes there are a few other unusual matches like below. Charlton connection Willie Duff in goal.

• Options
    Some of the Easter Road locals will have loved the British Army at their ground. I'm assuming there weren't many away fans... 
  • Options
    A lot of duplicate programmes have gone to Ebay so if you are a collector or just interested in a bit of history have a look. Cheap as chips

message me if any collector has a ' wants ' list
  • Options
    Came across Barnet v Charlton testimonial programme for Colin Powell , 1973

A very young looking Paddy 

• Options
    Anyone know the score, scorers, attendance, line ups for this game?
  • Options
    RIP John.

Single, jumped ship from palace to Cafc and retired from a bank at 42.
    Sounds like a very clever and wise guy to me.
    Being a Cafc fan has never had any logic when most of us have family, friends and acquaintances who support more "successful" teams.

It's a calling and John caught the Charlton bug.
    Memories from the lows, more lows, highs, lows and more lows.

You have to be special to be a Charlton fan; maybe special isn't the right word !
  • Options
    Had a quick check online, zilch. 

Might have to ask Paddy himself. He might have a local newspaper cutting, scrapbook, etc?

PS: This being Charlton Life, you can bet there's a Lifer or someone known to him who actually went to the game?
    Anything in Colin Cameron's records, perhaps?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Had a quick check online, zilch. 

Might have to ask Paddy himself. He might have a local newspaper cutting, scrapbook, etc?

PS: This being Charlton Life, you can bet there's a Lifer or someone known to him who actually went to the game?
    Anything in Colin Cameron's records, perhaps?

Couldn't find the game in Colin's book and no details on the museum's spreadsheet of first, reserve and youth games.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I thought this chap could be John.
    He used to go alone to away games on the coach.
  • Options
    According to thefootballarchives, the score was 4-1 to Charlton and the attendance was 639. Barnet goal scored by one Vic Cogger. No info on the Charlton lineup or scorers. I think the link will only work if you have an account (be warned - the site is a serious time-thief).
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I’m sure I’ve seen John when myself and my children travelled by coach. 
    RIP
  • Options
    I recognise him - can’t be sure, but he perhaps sat in the West Stand near my Dad’s seat ?
  • Options
    On multiple copies of the same programme , maybe collectors could explain to me why you would have this many copies of the same one. John must have loved Plymouth

• Options
    John may have bought batches of programmes needing only one from that batch for his collection and was unlucky this programme kept popping up in the batches, or it does seem with some of the stuff that he had good contacts at the club over the years and almost took everything they were getting rid of.