Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football's Darkest Secret(BBC doc series)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nug said:
    Nug said:
    I played in a team run by one of the accused coaches. He killed himself last year on the day of his trial. I was approached by a national newspaper about 5 years ago out of the blue who told me about the allegations against him and if I had been affected or seen anything, I hadn't. My brother who was 4 years older than me also played for the older team and didn't witness anything. It was a representative team put together from kids attending residential coaching courses run by a very large adventure holiday company, mostly in East Anglia. We would travel to tournaments in England and abroad and they had teams across age groups generally a high standard with most boys attached to clubs or hoping to be. I went to a tournament in Denmark with this coach and the team and he was the only adult with us, we were about 13 or 14.

A number of players went on to be pro and one player in my team ended up a top Premiership player and manager. The coach even came to my brothers wedding. I think it really freaked my mum and Dad out when they found out. Now looking back I do remember there was always one or two boys whose parents were never around and always came to tournaments with him.
    Michael Carson ?

Drove into a tree 

Who was the player who made it to Prem out of interest ?
    Yes, that's him, was known as Kit Carson. There were a number of high profile players that he brought through. The one I played with was Tim Sherwood.
    Impressed - you must have been a talented footballer ?
  • Options
    Nug said:
    I played in a team run by one of the accused coaches. He killed himself last year on the day of his trial. I was approached by a national newspaper about 5 years ago out of the blue who told me about the allegations against him and if I had been affected or seen anything, I hadn't. My brother who was 4 years older than me also played for the older team and didn't witness anything. It was a representative team put together from kids attending residential coaching courses run by a very large adventure holiday company, mostly in East Anglia. We would travel to tournaments in England and abroad and they had teams across age groups generally a high standard with most boys attached to clubs or hoping to be. I went to a tournament in Denmark with this coach and the team and he was the only adult with us, we were about 13 or 14.

A number of players went on to be pro and one player in my team ended up a top Premiership player and manager. The coach even came to my brothers wedding. I think it really freaked my mum and Dad out when they found out. Now looking back I do remember there was always one or two boys whose parents were never around and always came to tournaments with him.
    Attended PGL with assume the same man at Essex University - friend who was a goalkeeper then went to one of his goalkeeping courses (with Ray Clemence as the celebrity endorsement). No awareness of anything happening but not sure what I would have done had I been in a difficult situation - I like to think I'd have had the ability to fend off but you never know - there but for the grace of god and all that..
    Yes it was PGL. Before that when my brother went I think it was called C&G and he ran it with a young coach who ended up managing in the Leagues, still does I think, was even rumoured to be our manager at one point. He was a great guy, can't imagine he had a clue what was going on.
  • Options
    Nothing bad happened to me and it has nothing to do with football, but our little town had an open air swimming pool run by volunteers. You paid a £5 for a summer pass and then had free entrance for the entire summer, the volunteers also did swimming lessons. I spent every summer there for years with my mates. 

One of the male volunteers liked cleaning the boys toilets during opening times and my friends and I would never go in there, a mix of a strange feeling and stage fright. Eventually when I was about 16 he attacked a boy about 3 years younger than me.  

The bloke is actually living locally again (after a while behind bars) and I see him about every so often, everyone refers to him as Paedo Pete.  I have no idea who his victim was but hope he and his family moved away before his he got back to the area.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Nothing bad happened to me and it has nothing to do with football, but our little town had an open air swimming pool run by volunteers. You paid a £5 for a summer pass and then had free entrance for the entire summer, the volunteers also did swimming lessons. I spent every summer there for years with my mates. 

One of the male volunteers liked cleaning the boys toilets during opening times and my friends and I would never go in there, a mix of a strange feeling and stage fright. Eventually when I was about 16 he attacked a boy about 3 years younger than me.  

The bloke is actually living locally again (after a while behind bars) and I see him about every so often, everyone refers to him as Paedo Pete.  I have no idea who his victim was but hope he and his family moved away before his he got back to the area.
    Dreadful - and has the front to live in the same town - they know no shame - scum
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Dreadful - and has the front to live in the same town - they know no shame - scum
    Exactly. I think he was a single offender and lacked the finesse of those in the news of late. But first time I saw him again and I was about 30 it freaked me out a bit.
  • Options
    How has Dario Gradi got away with it? Find it pretty much impossible to believe he didn't know what was going on.

"During the investigation Gradi explained that he did not consider a person putting their hands down another’s trousers to be an assault."

Then we hear he's been banned from football for the past 5 years for 'safeguarding issues'.

FA head of legal: “Where someone is removed from football for safeguarding reasons, that will be because there has been an assessment that the particular individual could potentially pose a risk of harm to children. That’s as far as we can go."

This bloke should be locked up. 
  • Options
    Nug said:

Attended PGL with assume the same man at Essex University - friend who was a goalkeeper then went to one of his goalkeeping courses (with Ray Clemence as the celebrity endorsement). No awareness of anything happening but not sure what I would have done had I been in a difficult situation - I like to think I'd have had the ability to fend off but you never know - there but for the grace of god and all that..
    When it happened to me on the week coaching course I was on, Bob Higgins simply asked me a few times to take my towel off, in particular saying that’s what the pro footballers did - I just kept saying no

But you are right - I would have been in trouble if he had been more aggressive / forced himself on me

There but for the grace as you say.....

Im going to watch part 2 of that programme this evening, it’s not going to be nice, but I’m gonna do it anyway
    The whole series is on IPlayer - watched Part2 which gave an insight into how they operate. Football needs to pay for proper safeguarding - nobody should suffer the way the victims and their families did.

There are many procedures and rules in place now to try and prevent anything happening. There is much more awareness now. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Nug said:

When it happened to me on the week coaching course I was on, Bob Higgins simply asked me a few times to take my towel off, in particular saying that’s what the pro footballers did - I just kept saying no

But you are right - I would have been in trouble if he had been more aggressive / forced himself on me

Im going to watch part 2 of that programme this evening, it’s not going to be nice, but I’m gonna do it anyway
    The whole series is on IPlayer - watched Part2 which gave an insight into how they operate. Football needs to pay for proper safeguarding - nobody should suffer the way the victims and their families did.

There are many procedures and rules in place now to try and prevent anything happening. There is much more awareness now. 
    There are procedures in place but they need to be properly funded and that still remains an issue.
  • Options
    the kids are obviously victims of these complete wrong uns but i'm amazed at how this could have gone on so much without it being stopped - i would have made sure everybody knew about it if anybody ever tried anything like that with me let alone actually letting it happen repeatedly - i just can't understand how these kids put up with it - no way would wanting to become a footballer have been worth that - everybody's different of course but i can't get my head round it  
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Nug said:

They will always find a way through the system - that’s the sad part of it

I have just watched the 2nd episode of the BBC series on this - the damage they do to people, which then transfers into their adult lives, is sickening 

One of those abused by Bob Higgins (who I encountered) played for England schoolboys - a lad called Billy Seymour - he subsequently had 3 jail terms in adult life, and spent his adult life in turmoil - died too young in a car accident - a life destroyed by a child abuser 

Added to that the collateral damage to his parents, family and friends

The death penalty is deserved for these scumbags of people 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched it last and had tears in my eyes when Paul Stewart broke down, not for himself but for the pain that him coming forward about the abuse he suffered would do to his mum. Heartbreaking. I truly hope he manages to find peace, it would be a tragedy (but understandable) if he can’t put some of his demons to rest.

The sad fact is wherever there are children there will always be these sort of deviant predators regardless of what safeguards we put in place. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    the kids are obviously victims of these complete wrong uns but i'm amazed at how this could have gone on so much without it being stopped - i would have made sure everybody knew about it if anybody ever tried anything like that with me let alone actually letting it happen repeatedly - i just can't understand how these kids put up with it - no way would wanting to become a footballer have been worth that - everybody's different of course but i can't get my head round it  
    They know who to target and what threats to make - watching the program it showed how they operate and we're looking at it through the eye of an adult. 
  • Options
    Wilma said:
    Nug said:

They will always find a way through the system - that’s the sad part of it

I have just watched the 2nd episode of the BBC series on this - the damage they do to people, which then transfers into their adult lives, is sickening 

One of those abused by Bob Higgins (who I encountered) played for England schoolboys - a lad called Billy Seymour - he subsequently had 3 jail terms in adult life, and spent his adult life in turmoil - died too young in a car accident - a life destroyed by a child abuser 

Added to that the collateral damage to his parents, family and friends

The death penalty is deserved for these scumbags of people 
    I hadn't really thought about the collateral damage until I watched the program - a lot of the families went through hell. I felt so sorry for the mother of Billy Seymour.
  • Options
    Just watched the 2nd episode. So sad. Especially the ending ☹
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    As I suspected a photo of Gary Speed was shown as players developed by Barry Bennell.
    I mentioned this some time back, but it was obviously being kept quiet. 
  • Options
    I just looked up Speed's Wiki and surprised to see it on there.
    Look under his death.
    RIP Gary. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Speed
  • Options
    I fortunately never experienced anything like this but I do remember a strange comment from a football coach.

I became a Charlton fan in the mid 90s after getting tickets to games through the football training courses the club ran in the school holidays. One session we finished the day playing matches. At the end the coaches talked about the game they were running. I don’t remember the exact words but a summary of one match from a coach went something like “it had everything”, another coach replied with “even sex?” It might have been nothing more than an attempt at humour between adults, but it was an odd thing to say in front of a large group of pre-teenage children.

I didn’t tell my parents if I had done I’m sure my mum would have spoken to one of the coaches - around a similar time she had to deal with another potential more serious incident at my primary school. There was a male teacher who invited my younger sister and her friend to come in to the school on the weekend, something around decorating the walls I think. My mum didn’t like the sound of that and complaining to the school. I believe it was to the head teacher who replied with something along the lines of the teacher has been told before to not do that. My mum of course had to deal with my upset sister thinking her fun was being spoilt for no reason.

I don’t feel either incident has affected me but those memories make me wonder how often those men said similar things and how far it might have gone - hopefully rarely and not very far.

• Options
    This could be happening in a lot of sports involving children, i.e. sex scandal with coaches in the US gymnastic team, Sharon Davies former coach was jailed for molesting girls etc etc.
  • Options

Crewe chairman John Bowler has resigned following the publication of the Sheldon report into historical sexual abuse in football.

The report criticised Crewe for not doing more to prevent the crimes by their former coach Barry Bennell.

The League One club apologised and said they acknowledge "more could have been done to monitor" Bennell.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56521550

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Of course you have the scum that commit the crimes, but you also have the FA and clubs that try to bury it or ignore the rumours. I found it interesting the account by Dave Merrington where he heard talk on the bus and went to the club (Southampton) and when questioned about it, Higgins resigned. My thought was, was that it? 
  • Options
    I watched it last and had tears in my eyes when Paul Stewart broke down, not for himself but for the pain that him coming forward about the abuse he suffered would do to his mum. Heartbreaking. I truly hope he manages to find peace, it would be a tragedy (but understandable) if he can’t put some of his demons to rest.

The sad fact is wherever there are children there will always be these sort of deviant predators regardless of what safeguards we put in place. 
    Tears in my eyes too. To see what these these 'men' have done to a person's mental state many years on and that's without even thinking about the act. Makes you feel sick.
  • Options
    Felt I needed to post this as I felt horrified tonight

I just watched this programme and in Episode 3 a name was mentioned a scout at Chelsea Eddie Heath.

I looked into him a bit and saw after he left Chelsea he joined Charlton

https://www.robsonshaw.uk/blog/were-you-a-victim-of-eddie-heath-former-football-coach.htm

I really hope no one on here was affected by him or knows anyone who was affected by him

• Options
    Utterly depressing and so very, very sad and avoidable. So many innocent life’s ruined 

As I’ve said before If ever a movement like ‘taking the knee’ was needed in football, it was for this pertinent issue that has been systematic through football for years and probably still is now, rather than in support of what might be a noble intention over perceived injustice in the game, but was ultimately triggered by and in support of a career criminal in another country who suffered an excessive and ultimately fatal miscarriage of justice.

If professional football has any credibility it’s participants would be following a similar course of action and taking a similar stance on this horrific issue which is much closer to home and as, if not more, destructive for the child victims.

• Options
    What a heart wrenching programme. I applaud them all for standing up and being heard. Really feel for the parents of all the victims. The guilt they feel must be horrendous. 

This is a review of the 97 Despatches programme. No wonder nothing happened after the programme with reactions like that. But adding this article because Charlton are mentioned at the end about only one putting in measures.

• Options
    Couldn’t watch it as I would get both upset & angry. I know very well a couple, good friends, whose lad died a few years ago, part of the TV series, he was abused as a kid at a club and it wrecked his life & so upsetting for his mum and dad, my good friends & such lovely people. These abusers should be put down in my opinion. 
  • Options
    That would be Billy Seymour I assume. His Mum spoke wonderfully in part 2. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Felt I needed to post this as I felt horrified tonight

I just watched this programme and in Episode 3 a name was mentioned a scout at Chelsea Eddie Heath.

I looked into him a bit and saw after he left Chelsea he joined Charlton

https://www.robsonshaw.uk/blog/were-you-a-victim-of-eddie-heath-former-football-coach.htm

I really hope no one on here was affected by him or knows anyone who was affected by him

Heath’s activities at Charlton have been reported on before, including by the BBC. The club under the Belgians is reported by the lawyers to have declined to cooperate. From what I understand they were chiefly interested in avoiding any liability, although I think that probably did end in respect of Heath with the winding up of the old company in 1984.

When you look at the abysmal standard of governance in football clubs in the past it’s hardly surprising they weren’t on top of child protection. However, at the same time, the churches, boarding schools, children’s homes - institutions that were supposedly focused on children’s welfare - were all culpable In abuse. If they weren’t protecting children properly then the chances of football doing so at that time were near zero.