Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Frank Worthington

2»

Comments

• Options
    What a character RIP
  • Options
    A proper club legend. RIP. Terrific entertainer on the field.
  • Options
    I still have a vivid image of FW at the Valley with Huddersfield in 1970... they beat us 2-1. A bit of a swashbuckler with long brylcremed hair and full of cheeky tricks. RIP a great player and character.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    A proper entertainer RIP
  • Options
     One of a kind. I met him many years ago out in Spain .. to say that he was a 'female magnet' is an understatement .. his manners and dress sense were as stylish and classy as his football. The women just LOVED him and the men seriously admired his football prowess .. R I P Frank
  • Options
    RIP Frank , such a great character.
  • Options
    Just an afterthought, it is reported that Frank suffered from Alzheimer's, another victim of the heading heavy balls theory ??
  • Options
    Fantastic player to watch - flamboyant on and off the pitch and cast in the same mould as Marsh and Bowles.
    RIP big man 
  • Options
    One of the most naturally talented players the English game has produced. R.I.P.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Frank.
    only ever scored 3 against us. 
    Home and away Huddersfield 69/70
    and a Penalty for Brighton 80’s.
  • Options
    Just an afterthought, it is reported that Frank suffered from Alzheimer's, another victim of the heading heavy balls theory ??
    It could be true but I don’t remember Frank heading the ball a lot . That wasn’t his game at all. 
  • Options
    Oh no. Wonderful player and character. RIP.
  • Options
    Very gifted player. RIP Frank.
  • Options
    If Messi or Ronaldo did that now the jizz from the media would be knee deep.  
  • Options
    RIP Frank..One of my favourite players. That goal v Ipswich was something else.
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP Frank. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    RIP Frank..One of my favourite players. That goal v Ipswich was something else.
    It's a pity Frank didn't get to play on modern pitches - he would have been even more successful.
  • Options
    RIP Frank. Loved watching you play
  • Options
    RIP they certainly don't make make them like that anymore 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    RIP they certainly don't make make them like that anymore 
    Great hair and moustache combo.
  • Options
    RIP 
    Frank was married to the daughter of Noel Dwyer (Irish goalkeeper) who apparently had a spell with Charlton Athletic.
    Always entertaining watching Frank Worthington.

Remember doing a tour of The Valley which must have been in the 70s. Am sure I remember seeing a jar (in a physio room?) containing Noel Dwyer's cartilage!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. Such an entertainer and a great character. RIP.
  • Options
    Childhood hero. Loved that Ipswich goal. Very sad to hear he's gone.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Bit before my time, but another one my old man raves about. Watched clips of him on YouTube - genius player.  Watched the Gazza thing on Netflix (well worth a watch) yesterday and heard about Worthington today.  Players like that are worth the entrance money alone. Would much rather watch those types of players than the manufactured ones we see today. Let them smoke 20 fags a day and turn up pissed up ...it’s much more entertaining and they did the business on the pitch  - where it counts. Absolute disgrace that he ended up with a only 8 England Caps. 

RIP. 
  • Options

What a character he was!

I remember watching him play for Leicester on Swedish TV. Then in the early eighties, he turned up, completely out of the blue, playing for Swedish minnows Mjällby AIF in their first season in the topflight.

Having played for a number of clubs, he was asked to name his favourite club, to which he replied: "Hanöhus Night Club".

• Options
    What a player he was, unfortunately we must have been one of the few teams he never played for. A Bolton fan told me that whereas most ex-players got a bit of stick when they came back with other teams, 3000 turned out for a reserve game to cheer him on.

In one of the obituaries it quoted Ian Greaves the old Bolton manager relating how he took Frank to one side for a bit of a telling off....he was standing in front of Greaves as he started telling him about chasing back, when not to do the fancy stuff etc. FW, without breaking eye contact, flicked a nearby ball up and let it bounce on his head repeatedly, all the time saying "yes boss" "sorry boss" and so on. Greaves said after about five minutes of this he thought "Why am I trying to teach this bloke how to play football!" and gave up.

RIP
  • Options
    Would always try to get to see him when he was playing in London.
    Wonderful first touch coupled with imagination and creativity
    Of course his off field life was similarly colourful. Would you expect it to be any different
    RIP and thank you for making football so joyful