Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chester Barnes RIP

Such sad news that one of my first boyhood heroes has died. Chester Barnes revolutionised table tennis and brought a fresh wave of players from the 60's and 70's. I played with one of his rectangular bats for many years until it literally fell apart. He was a one-off and a real character (assistant trainer to Martin Pipe in later life). RIP Chester.

Comments

• Options
    Never interested in table tennis, but like SE7 said above, a name that made him stand out, was somewhat a cult figure in the 60’s and 70’s, was a great table tennis player.
  • Options
    Saw that name and it was a real blast from the past! I played table tennis regularly in my mid teens to early twenties and Chester was certainly the name. RIP
  • Options
    As Boris Johnson might say 'a dab hand at the old wiff waff' .. also an assistant to a master of the horse .. led a full and interesting life .. R I P Chester
  • Options
    Wow this is spooky, we were only talking about him yesterday morning at work. RIP.
  • Options
    RIP. 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Always quoted Chester Barnes when I played a great shot in ping pong. I think he’s the only name I associate with this sport. RIP Chester. 
  • Options
    I am sure I already knew that he passed away.
    Hopefully it was mentioned in the Cheltenham thread or last weeks television coverage rather than me acquiring some sort of paranormal power.

RIP Chester.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Probably not quite so well known about Chester was that following his table tennis career, he became assistant to horseracing's Martin Pipe when the latter was one of the top trainers of the period. Chester was also responsible for some of their memorable gambles too!

RIP
  • Options
    RIP Chester
    Played a game against him some 30 years ago after winning a completion myself.Really nice bloke and not surprisingly he beat me 21-2 and 21-4 but I will add he played with a different variety of objects in both games and I remember he played with a plate,iron,frying pan,saucepan,tennis racket,his hand and a bat that was smaller than the ball!!! He presented me with one of his own bats afterwards and I still have to this day,bit tatty and signature worn off but still great memories.
    Great story and memories.

RIP Chester
  • Options
    Chester was followed by Desmond Douglas, now 65 I note. Desmond ruled the roost for quite awhile after Chester dropped out of table tennis.
  • Options
    Well, I never......I hadn’t realised he was a mod.

RIP.....Chester.....RIP
  • Options
    Chester Barnes was like Ray Reardon or John Lowe. They were their sports. Icon's without being world famous. I am sure and I could be wrong, but I'm sure we'd go on family holidays to Butlins and Warners and Chester would do exhibitions. 

RIP. 
  • Options
    Yes used to have a Chester Barnes bag in around 75. It was my first table tennis bat. Anyone here use to play at all? I used to play at Goudhurst school from around 76 up until about 82. Used to play in the district league.
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Yes used to have a Chester Barnes bag in around 75. It was my first table tennis bat. Anyone here use to play at all? I used to play at Goudhurst school from around 76 up until about 82. Used to play in the district league.
    When I worked in the City back in the 80’s/90’s I used to play there. A very competitive league with quite a few divisions. 
  • Options
    Yeah I was 11 when I first played in division 7. Within s couple years progressed to division 3. It was very decent standard. A couple of the lads still play in national veterans today.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Chester was followed by Desmond Douglas, now 65 I note. Desmond ruled the roost for quite awhile after Chester dropped out of table tennis.
    I was trying to remember who the other famous Brit player was. Desmond Douglas was also one of my ping pong heroes. I started with a Chester Barnes Slazenger ( think) then a Desmond Douglas Dunlop ( l think). No other Brit players of note that I can recall until Matthew Syed.
    RIP Chester
  • Options
    His son, Lester Barnes, is a golf Youtuber with Dan Hendriksen, who I often watch.  They both come across as really decent, modest, blokes and have been best mates since school.

There is a little tribute at the start of this one from Sunday to Chester (the rest of it is pretty geeky golf stuff btw, unless your'e into that sort of thing of course).. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gApoJsfrug
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Chester.
  • Options
    Wow a real blast from the past! In 1978, I won a table tennis tournament at Pontins in Brixham and Chester Barnes presented me with a signed bat. That was the same year that Frank Worthington scored his goal at Ipswich. Both go in the same week and take precious memories of my childhood with them.
  • Options
    I was trying to remember who the other famous Brit player was. Desmond Douglas was also one of my ping pong heroes. I started with a Chester Barnes Slazenger ( think) then a Desmond Douglas Dunlop ( l think). No other Brit players of note that I can recall until Matthew Syed.
    RIP Chester
    There was another player called John Hilton who I recall son a fairly major tournament using different rubbers that phased opponents. I will Google now as it has evoked lots of table tennis memories for me!
  • Options
    We used to go on holiday in the early 80s to Riviera Lido Holiday Club near Bognor Regis.
    He used to do appearances there for a number of years.
    I took this photo in my mid teens.

RIP Chester