Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    Algeria score but it's ruled out by VAR.
  • Options
    Algeria 1-1 Cameroon (2-1 on agg)

118th minute goal could be sending Algeria to the World Cup.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    WOW

Algeria 1-2 Cameroon (2-2 on agg)

124th minute goal for Cameroon.

https://v.redd.it/shpwfqv2deq81
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    FT ET Algeria 1-2 Cameroon (2-2 on agg). Cameroon win on away goals.

Cameroon are the 27th team to qualify for the World Cup.

Algerian players look broken on the pitch.
  • Options
    Oh wow, that’s unbelievable!

They’re going to be hurting but they’ve got to look at themselves. Winning in Cameroon to then come back home, score so late and look to be going through, how can they throw that away?
  • Options
    Peru leading by two goals with 20 minutes to go. They look to be heading to the playoff at the expense of Colombia and Chile.
  • Options
    Peru leading by two goals with 20 minutes to go. They look to be heading to the playoff at the expense of Colombia and Chile.
    FT 2-0.

”Peru OR Australia OR UAE” in Friday’s draw.
  • Options
    After today’s games we can be pretty sure of the pots for the draw on Friday… 

Pot 1:
    - Qatar,
    - Brazil,
    - Belgium,
    - France,
    - Argentina,
    - England,
    - Spain,
    - Portugal

Pot 2:
    - Netherlands,
    - Denmark,
    - Mexico,
    - Germany,
    - USA,
    - Switzerland,
    - Uruguay,
    - Croatia

Pot 3:
    - Senegal,
    - Iran,
    - Japan,
    - Morocco,
    - Serbia,
    - Poland,
    - South Korea,
    - Tunisia (unless Canada win tomorrow in Panama)

Pot 4:
    - Canada (unless Canada win tomorrow in Panama),
    - Cameroon,
    - Ecuador,
    - Saudi Arabia,
    - Ghana
    - Wales OR Scotland OR Ukraine
    - Peru OR Australia OR UAE
    - Costa Rica OR New Zealand (unless NZ lose to Solomon Islands tomorrow)

There are a couple of caveats as per the above for Tunisia, Canada and New Zealand. If Canada win tomorrow, they will go above Tunisia in the world rankings and therefore be placed into Pot 3. Tunisians will all be Panama fans for one day.

The third & very unlikely caveat is if Costa Rica were to achieve a four goal swing with Mexico or a six goal victory over the US. 

This would demote either of those sides from Pot 2 into the inter-continental playoff and Pot 4. Costa Rica would qualify automatically but their world ranking would only be good enough for Pot 3. In this extremely unlikely event (less than 1%), Senegal would be pushed up into Pot 2.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    World Cup draw simulator… you can just refresh the page and get a brand new set of eight groups each time.

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/

Here are the first three England groups I got:

England
    Uruguay
    South Korea
    Cameroon

England
    Netherlands
    Iran
    Costa Rica

England
    Netherlands
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia
  • Options
    Fucking cheats!! - Hope they crash and burn at the World Cup
    Short memory? 😉

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Danepak said:
    Fucking cheats!! - Hope they crash and burn at the World Cup
    Short memory? 😉

Very true, forgot about that...

Its a ridiculous trend that needs stopping 
  • Options
    So far Qatar will be the only debutants.

Canada the country making an appearance after the longest gap (last appearance 1986). Wales can smash that though, as they've not been at a WC since their only appearance in 1958.
  • Options
    Great stuff Callum....enjoyed following this thread the last couple of days.
    Appreciate that, very kind of you. I’m just a nerd who enjoys sharing a passion!

Lots of great contributors over the course of this discussion, especially @ForeverAddickted who is more than worthy of a shoutout too. 😊
  • Options
    World Cup draw simulator… you can just refresh the page and get a brand new set of eight groups each time.

https://stattosoftware.com/wc2022/

Here are the first three England groups I got:

England
    Uruguay
    South Korea
    Cameroon

England
    Netherlands
    Iran
    Costa Rica

England
    Netherlands
    Tunisia
    Saudi Arabia
    Just done this in the office with 2 others, all three of us got Uruguay as second seeds in our group... so i'm taking that as a sign.
  • Options
    FT ET Algeria 1-2 Cameroon (2-2 on agg). Cameroon win on away goals.

Cameroon are the 27th team to qualify for the World Cup.

Algerian players look broken on the pitch.
    Away goals counting after extra time is so fucking stupid. Still in place in 2022??
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Appreciate that, very kind of you. I’m just a nerd who enjoys sharing a passion!

Lots of great contributors over the course of this discussion, especially @ForeverAddickted who is more than worthy of a shoutout too. 😊
    Cheers Callum, I've always had a fascination with the World Cup and the various routes of Qualification

I pretty much covered the 2018 World Cup Qualification, so good to see someone carried it on

It probably wont survive YouTube, but have started a small side project this week (that wont get completed until the summer), where I'm putting together a video of all the goals scored from qualifying, in the order they were scored.

Bit of a challenge, one I probably wont end up completing (2,402-goals to put together, with no more than 5secs per goal), but been fun watching some of the earlier highlights from the AFC and CAF First Rounds etc.
  • Options

Cheers Callum, I've always had a fascination with the World Cup and the various routes of Qualification

I pretty much covered the 2018 World Cup Qualification, so good to see someone carried it on

It probably wont survive YouTube, but have started a small side project this week (that wont get completed until the summer), where I'm putting together a video of all the goals scored from qualifying, in the order they were scored.

Bit of a challenge, one I probably wont end up completing (2,402-goals to put together, with no more than 5secs per goal), but been fun watching some of the earlier highlights from the AFC and CAF First Rounds etc.
    Yeah those Asian preliminary rounds involving thr likes of Macau and Laos are pretty obscure 

When I lived in Taiwan, I flew up to Taipei to watch qualifiers vs. Iraq, Palestine and, I think, Uzbekistan. It was basically free entry for any school kids who could convince principals to let them go. Not many people in big stadium. I loved it. 

Love your project idea and will watch out for it 
  • Options

How are you getting the footage for those early games? I remember watching the American Samoa documentary and it was basically just a field.
  • Options
    On a side note its a shame that none of the OFC Qualifiers appear to be watchable

Would have enjoyed watching Solomon Islands vs New Zealand

Its another thing I enjoy with the World Cup Qualifiers, as its an opportunity to see sides, I wouldnt normally watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022

How are you getting the footage for those early games? I remember watching the American Samoa documentary and it was basically just a field.
    There appear to be highlights on YouTube for each individual game - Its why I'll probably be unable to keep it on there, as there will be some with copyright protection, but will give it a go - Some are really good picture quality

Am sure every one will watch the World Cup Final, but this is the game, and goal that started it all.

Dont have your speakers on too loud, as the commentator will deafen you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7jxZnSLsSQ&t=7s
  • Options
    On a side note its a shame that none of the OFC Qualifiers appear to be watchable

Its another thing I enjoy with the World Cup Qualifiers, as its an opportunity to see sides, I wouldnt normally watch.
    They're actually all live streamed for free (legally) by the Oceania FA here: https://www.oceaniafootball.com/

I've had some crackers on in the background the last week
  • Options
    follett said:

They're actually all live streamed for free (legally) by the Oceania FA here: https://www.oceaniafootball.com/

I've had some crackers on in the background the last week
    FFS... Knew I should have whinged sooner, CharltonLife always has the answer

Much appreciated
  • Options
    Slightly different note - seeing as Leagues 1 & 2 are still continuing whilst the WC is on, is there any chance a team in either division might have 3 players at the WC & so could conceivably call off all their matches during this period.......and therefore have half a dozen (or more) games to make up after xmas.

I doubt whether a team this low down the football pyramid would have 3 players there, but seeing as teams like Canada & Wales could be there I was just wondering. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Slightly different note - seeing as Leagues 1 & 2 are still continuing whilst the WC is on, is there any chance a team in either division might have 3 players at the WC & so could conceivably call off all their matches during this period.......and therefore have half a dozen (or more) games to make up after xmas.

I doubt whether a team this low down the football pyramid would have 3 players there, but seeing as teams like Canada & Wales could be there I was just wondering. 
    It's definitely possible. EFL have confirmed that they won't be altering the rules for postponements.

Might make Welsh/Scottish players more appealing to prospective clubs if so. Another one year contract for Chris Gunter anyone?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    New Zealand have found the breakthrough... 0-1 after 23mins
  • Options
    0-2 now 6mins before HT - Chris Wood gets on the scoresheet. 
  • Options
    You’d have to say that’s done and dusted for New Zealand then..
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Yup... Just gone 0-3 shortly after HT

Solomon Islands havent coped with the corners from. NZ.

Imagine they'll face Costa Rica, not sure of their chances 
  • Options
    Yup... Just gone 0-3 shortly after HT

Solomon Islands havent coped with the corners from. NZ.

Imagine they'll face Costa Rica, not sure of their chances 
    I saw someone estimate Costa Rica's chances of qualifying automatically at 0.2% due to the ridiculous swings in goal difference that would be required.

Either way, NZ will face Costa Rica (99.8%) or the US (0.1%) or Mexico (0.1%).