Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bridge at the Thames Barrier?

Now this is an idea I could get behind wholeheartedly.

Fly into City Airport (assuming that's a thing in the future) and WALK to The Valley!

https://charltonchampion.co.uk/2021/03/26/take-a-step-into-charltons-future-support-proposals-for-a-thames-barrier-bridge/

Comments

• great concept, but no way you’ll be allowed to build that bridge that close to a piece of critical national infrastructure 
  • Trouble is London City airport is closed between 1pm Saturday until 1pm Sunday. 
  • Dansk_Red said:
    Trouble is London City airport is closed between 1pm Saturday until 1pm Sunday. 
    We have lots of midweek matches, though. 
  • Rothko said:
    great concept, but no way you’ll be allowed to build that bridge that close to a piece of critical national infrastructure 

I don't know why not , I think it's a great idea

Much better than the Silvertown Tunnel with it's resultant environmental pollution

• I like it.
  • This idea is almost specifically designed to appeal to me. I've long ached to cross at the Barrier so I can watch the birds on the extensive North Woolwich mudbanks
  • Problem with a bridge anywhere downstream of Tower Bridge, is that it needs to be able to open to allow ships through, or be high enough for it to not be a problem (QE2). both of these factors add several 0's to already astronomical prices. 
  • There are twin tunnels below the barrier, but they're pretty sensitive about who can use them, certainly not Joe Public :neutral:    
  • sam3110 said:
    Problem with a bridge anywhere downstream of Tower Bridge, is that it needs to be able to open to allow ships through, or be high enough for it to not be a problem (QE2). both of these factors add several 0's to already astronomical prices. 
    The images suggest ot could open.
  • There are twin tunnels below the barrier, but they're pretty sensitive about who can use them, certainly not Joe Public :neutral:    
    I've tried but never quite managed the clearance level. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brilliant idea. 
  • Think its a great idea. Would prefer to see one further down the river towards Thamesmead though, which is something that has been touted for years but not come to any fruition. 
  • edited March 2021
    Very good read that as usual from the Charlton champion.

Last couple of paragraphs worth repeating for those who maybe live more locally and want it to happen-

So what can you do to help? Click on the website – www.thamesbarrierbridge.com – to find out more and send us your comments, or write to your local council.

The pandemic has shown us that we can rapidly change our behaviour to counter a virus; we can use the same energy and enterprise to counter the even more dangerous threat of climate change and, in doing so, make better lives for ourselves.

I've tried but never quite managed the clearance level. 
    Yes, they are only foot tunnels though and provide maintenance access to each of the barrier piers. I have been lucky enough to do a private tour of the barrier.  The size of those piers just feels huge when you are standing on one.
  • That bridge looks like a great idea, £300m is a lot of money though
    Just need Boris Johnson to back it. It will be built in no time.
  • Sponsored links:

Probably be double that by the time they finish building it.
  • Think it looks great, but too close to the barrier which is due for renewal in around 10-12 years so I doubt they'll do it before then (there).

I think the woolwich foot tunnel is nearer the airport than the barrier is (as is the ferry) and any bridge would be better built a little further down, but increased and easier ways to travel can only be a good thing.
  • Lovely idea but won’t ever happen. £300 million plus for a pedestrian bridge from basically nowhere to nowhere. 
  • The principal issues of providing a suitable headroom for shipping east of London Bridge and the associated cost to enable this, forced TfL to abandon a proposed pedestrian and cyclist crossing at Rotherhithe, which would replace the current river bus shuttle:

Source:  London Reconnections: London's First Highway Part 3 article:  https://www.londonreconnections.com/2021/londons-first-highway-part-3-evolution-of-river-passenger-transport-policy/

Not sure the headroom would need to be as much as 90m stated, perhaps 20 - 30m would suffice.
  • edited March 2021
    "TfL is now planning for a new, more frequent and environmentally friendly ferry service, with custom piers to expedite turn around time."

Sounds like some kind of pop up pier/ ferry concept. Interesting if that's the case. Anything to improve or enhance the Woolwich ferry would be welcome.