Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A new fan's perspective...

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
This is my first post here, I've enjoyed reading this board for a few years but never felt inspired to join in.
But with regular talk on here of "true fans" I though it might be interesting for people to hear the views of someone who possibly wouldn't be regarded as one.

So let me introduce myself, I'm a 32 year old male and 5 years ago I wasn't a Charlton supporter... that's right folks, I'm a Johnny come lately.
Let me explain... I've always loved football but grew up in deepest Kent with a dad who didn't follow football, my Arsenal mad Grandad occasionally took me to a game but I never felt any great affinity towards them.
So other than a vague flirtation with Liverpool and Wimbledon when I was at school I've never felt loyal to a particular club.

In my early 20's I moved to New Cross and having paid off my students debts I had disposable income for the first time.
I'd always liked the idea of having a season ticket but wasn't sure where to get one, a few of my mates supported Spurs and Chelsea but that didn't interest me really.
Eventually a work colleague persuaded me to get a season ticket at Charlton, now I'll be brutally honest, I said yes for 3 reasons:

1: it was cheap
2: it was Premiership football
3: it was local

So I went along and sat in my new seat in the lower North, I have to admit I've got a shocking memory so I can't remember who we played
but what I do remember is not knowing who the hell any of the players were (other than Jason Euell) and that we lost... but I was hooked.
For the first few games I just enjoyed watching Premiership football but as I started to get to know the players names and join in the singing
I unexpectedly started to genuinely care about them winning.

I got a fair amount of ribbing from mates about "latching onto a team" so late on in life and it took a few seasons until I would say I was a Charlton supporter if asked,
not because I was embarrassed to follow Charlton but more because I felt like a bit of a fraud at first. But now I'm proud to support my team.

Anyway, what I want to say is that I wasn't there at Selhurst, I didn't go to the play off game at Wembley but I still think I'm a valuable fan.
I never miss a home game (league and cup) and money permitting I try to get to some away games each season (not easy now my disposable income has been replaced with a huge mortgage),
I still sit in my same seat in the north lower and sing my heart out every game. I love Charlton and the thought of not having a season ticket is utterly unthinkable to me.
If I ever have children, as soon as they are old enough, they will have season tickets too (whether they like it or not!).

As for the new season, I have to say that I'm ridiculously excited about it, to the point where I'm dreaming about football most nights and driving my girlfriend insane talking about it,
to be fair to her she is humouring me and the other day even managed a genuine sounding "oh no, you really hate Tottenham though don't you?" after we sold Darren.

I can't wait for the new season to start, I couldn't give a monkeys about seeing Chelsea or Man UTD, all I care about is watching Charlton and I'm more excited about Scunthorpe at home on the 11th than I have been about any game for years.
When it looked like we may get relegated, renewing my season ticket was never a doubt, the possibility of a free season in a years time is a fantastic incentive but didn't affect my decision, it just confirmed why I love this club so much.
The Premiership had lost it's excitement as far I was concerned, I was bored with it and I was bored with our team. I trust Alan Pardew and I believe he is building an exciting team of young players who might actually care about playing for Charlton.

What struck me in my first season at the Valley was how many games we won through sheer grit and determination, by giving the other team no space at all,
chasing lost causes and flying into every tackle like our lives depended on it, I think within a couple of seasons that ethic seemed to have disappeared completely, maybe I just caught the end of it.

I'm sure I'll get a few replies saying "you won't feel the same after a season of dire Championship football",
well maybe I will or maybe I won't but right now I'm more positive about watching Charlton than I have been for long time and I can't wait to know what it feels like to have the chance of actually competing for a trophy.

And finally I just have to say that I thought the atmosphere at some of the games last season was the best I had experienced at the Valley in my 5 years.
I really hope we can follow that through to this season too, as you can tell it makes a difference on the pitch.

Fair play to anyone who has read my entire 9 paragraph waffle!
I just wanted to point out that not all Johnny come lately fans are a waste of space and that some have even stuck around for the Championship.

CAFC

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2007
    dan smudge?!

Welcome though whoever you are - a fan's loyalty is not determined by how long they have supported a club in my opinion.
  • Options
    great name, great post.

welcome to the forum fella.
  • Options
    Welcome to our sociopathic group mate. Good, honest post
  • Options
    sorry, not sure how to do a quote but...

and "a few years".

have I inadvertently said something which is a huge faux pas?
  • Options
    Not sure if this is for real or a wind up, but I enjoyed reading that post immensely. You definately fall into the Ultra category rather than the Flask supporter anyway.
  • Options
    To be really accepted on here, though, you are going to have to try to join the Royal oak clique. LOL. No, honestly...
    Welcome mate, let's hope that it is a good season. Now, when the hell are we going to buy someone to strengthen the midfield???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]sorry, not sure how to do a quote but...

and "a few years".

have I inadvertently said something which is a huge faux pas?
    i edited it.

Just you say you've been reading the site for a few years even though its only been around for a year (just).

No biggy
  • Options
    Yeah right......
  • Options
    It's AFKA's alter-ego!!
  • Options
    Great read. Welcome aboard. im in the same club - ticket for 5 years tho loosely followed them before that but was abroad.

if you're wondering what some of the other comments mean, you have the same name as a prominent member of this board.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Welcome aboard me hearty. Argh!
  • Options
    no real suprise, i've known about 7 other people with the same name as me.
  • Options
    Right got you now, seems like AFKA and I share the same name and nickname.
    (no joke, honestly)

As for the 2 years thing, i've been reading both netaddicks and this board, so it maybe it's the other one that i've been reading for a bit longer.

And finally, who the hell would have the time, energy or inclination to write a 9 paragraph windup?!

Anyway, thanks for all the positive comments.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite]
    And finally, who the hell would have the time, energy or inclination to write a 9 paragraph windup?!

Oh you'd be surprised mate. Welcome!
  • Options
    ....and now all you have to do is to become a Valley Gold Member and those difficult to get away tickets are yours!
  • Options
    How tall are ya ?
  • Options
    Welcome Dansmudge, do you smoke by any chance?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]How tall are ya ?

...er... i'm not sure if this is an "in" joke or some kind of initiation question... but sod it i'll answer anyway.

6ft 1
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Welcome Dansmudge, do you smoke by any chance?

sorry no, are you selling some cheap fags then?
  • Options
    How are your knees?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    why is "smith" made into "smudge"

Am i too young to know?
  • Options
    apparantly it was a war thing. I could never understand why either.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Heath Hero[/cite]How are your knees?

Can i change my username or is that not allowed?!

[cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]why is "smith" made into "smudge"

Am i too young to know?

I've always wondered that too.
  • Options
    Welcome Smudge, its a popular name as KB's boy will tesitfy!

Maybe all us old timers (as in supported the Club for years) are a tad jealous. Most of us were forced by our fathers or older siblings to support this wonderful club of ours. You chose to of your own free will.

And please don't let this be AFKA's alter ego..................I left the other site kicking & screaming because of that nonsense!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]

And please don't let this be AFKA's alter ego..................I left the other site kicking & screaming because of that nonsense!!!!

don't worry, the only alter ego i've got is the one that appears at 3pm on matchdays, mild mannered gentleman to tourettes afflicted ranting idiot in seconds.
  • Options
    you sound like

a) you should be in the upper north &

b) we're related

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]you sound like

a) you should be in the upper north

My only experience of the North Upper was when we lost to Leicester in the cup a few years ago, i took a female friend who'd never been to a footie match before,
    the guy sat next to us spent the entire 90 minutes going totally ballistic (but not in a funny way), he was leaning past us screaming at his mate a few seats down and was so angry that he was actually frothing at the mouth.

to be fair to him i got pretty angry with the performance too but i think i generally manage to keep just the right side of being sectioned.

before that match i'd quite fancied moving but it sort of put me off a bit!

being serious though, i'm sure he was a one off (head)case but i actually prefer the Lower because i feel like i'm right in amongst the action, whereas whenever i've sat in the upper tiers i feel a bit like i'm wacthing it on TV.

each to they're own though.
  • Options
    Welcome. Doesn't matter if you were born to it or came to it early or late in life. There are many paths to the true enlightenment that is Charlton Athletic and each person must travel their own.

However you are not allowed to use "Oi! Henry" or call the Jimmy Seed Stand by anything other than that name

AFKA, the other DanSmudge, is a person of restricted height but not at all sensitive about it. Feel free to describe yourself as normal height DanSmudge to distinguish yourself
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: dansmudge[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: KBslittlesis[/cite]you sound like

a) you should be in the upper north

[/quote]

My only experience of the North Upper was when we lost to Leicester in the cup a few years ago, i took a female friend who'd never been to a footie match before,
    the guy sat next to us spent the entire 90 minutes going totally ballistic (but not in a funny way), he was leaning past us screaming at his mate a few seats down and was so angry that he was actually frothing at the mouth.

each to they're own though.[/quote]

So you've met the supporters' director then?
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    LOL