Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton fan complains to manager about sale of a star striker - demands "facts"

No, not another twitter or facebook rant

Comments

• Options
    Bloody Chelsea supporters rocking our boat!
  • Options
    Reassuring that nothing changes.
  • Options
    Thanks to @JamesSeed who sent the photo of the card.

Seed kept it for some reason

Other side of the card

• Options
    Anyone ITK?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Anyone ITK?
    Even before @LenGlover 's time, I should think? :smile:

• Options
    Was W.O. Newman consulted before this was posted ?
  • Options
    Ha, ha. That's brilliant. Would be great to track Eric or, more likely his family, down and see if he got an answer. 
  • Options

Other side of the card

Do we know if there is a story behind the shamrock-style badge of this era?
  • Options
    Nice gaff though Eric. Looks out right across the park onto the river. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've googled it already?

Haha

• Options
    As a child I remember being upset when we sold bow legged Charlie to Pompey. Also when we sold Frank Lock and Johnny Evans to Liverpool. I suppose we needed the money. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    70 years on.....  nothing changes 😂😂😂

.... btw.  Where's Yann? 😁
  • Options

Other side of the card

it's not a shamrock, it's a club like on a deck of playing card @Neil_Heaney

So it spells out Chartlon Athletic Football CLUB.

It was the first badge ever used on our shirts although It seemed to stop around the time of this photo.

The Robin doesn't appear until the 1946 Cup final.

@stig is your man for evolution of the badge although not for updating timelines

• Options
    Ha, ha. That's brilliant. Would be great to track Eric or, more likely his family, down and see if he got an answer. 
    I think his nickname was something to do with a game played with clubs on large course.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    You've googled it already?

Haha

Sweet location 😉.
  • Options
    Saw quite a bit of Charlie Vaughan - could frustrate and delight in equal measure. 
    Seed was astute, with a good record of recruitment and moving on. He could not have known then however that the generation succeeding Vaughan, Hurst, Fenton et al would go on to produce football of a different class

• Options

Other side of the card

it's not a shamrock, it's a club like on a deck of playing card @Neil_Heaney

So it spells out Chartlon Athletic Football CLUB.

It was the first badge ever used on our shirts although It seemed to stop around the time of this photo.

The Robin doesn't appear until the 1946 Cup final.

@stig is your man for evolution of the badge although not for updating timelines

Ah I never made that 'club' connection. Good stuff, thanks HI.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lovely handwriting 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I suspect grandad kept the postcard because it featured a photo of the ‘34/5 side, which by 1951 would have been hard to find, were he not already in possession of one. 

He would have replied to the fan, I expect. I have a letter he wrote to one who had written to the club asking for players’ autographs in Oct 1945. He replied saying that because of the war players weren’t around, and that ‘there is no time available’. 
    Jimmy was ‘secretary manager’, so fulfilled the Chris Parkes role, as well as managing the team. 
    And you try telling the young people of today that, and they won’t believe you. 

• Options
    I've discovered who wrote the postcard  - Eric Alexander Crawford.  Born 19th Feb 1920 Greenwich. Died 5 September 2012 Frinton.  in 1939, a clerk he was living with his parents Walter and Rosina and sister Joyce at 163 Waller Road Deptford. He married Betty Smith in 1950 at Wandsworth.  Betty was a shorthand typist who in 1939 was living with her family at....... 107 Putney Bridge Road.
    'Betty, take another letter for me please... Dear Mr Seed, why does Charlie Vaughan want to leave?...'
  • Options
    And another thing. Why was Harold Miller sold to Chelsea just three weeks after playing for England and being our first player to score an international goal? I must protest strongly about this short sighted attitude by the Charlton directors. It has been bothering me since 1923. Are we just going to be a selling club and get rid of all our best players?  I think we should be told. 
  • Options
    I've discovered who wrote the postcard  - Eric Alexander Crawford.  Born 19th Feb 1920 Greenwich. Died 5 September 2012 Frinton.  in 1939, a clerk he was living with his parents Walter and Rosina and sister Joyce at 163 Waller Road Deptford. He married Betty Smith in 1950 at Wandsworth.  Betty was a shorthand typist who in 1939 was living with her family at....... 107 Putney Bridge Road.
    Great research @cherryorchard
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Better see if I can find the email I wrote to Richard Murray complaining when we sold Carl Leaburn  ;)
  • Options
    And another thing. Why was Harold Miller sold to Chelsea just three weeks after playing for England and being our first player to score an international goal? I must protest strongly about this short sighted attitude by the Charlton directors. It has been bothering me since 1923. Are we just going to be a selling club and get rid of all our best players?  I think we should be told. 
    I think the answer is "yes"
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Wow. That’s serious research. Do you use something like Ancestry @cherryorchard ? Very impressive.