Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car advice needed for a friend

Wondering if anybody can advise? A friend took his relatively new Suzuki Vitara for a service a few weeks ago which included an oil change. He broke down yesterday and it turned out the oil filler cap was not replaced and the engine needs replacing. It is going to cost him a lot of money and it is the fault of the previous garage. He has just spoken to me about it and hasn't approached the garage that did the service yet until he gets all the costs. Of course he isn't going to remove the oil filler cap if he had the oil changed a few weeks ago. Any advice on how he should proceed?  I feel a bit gutted for him as it clearly isn't his fault and he only recently purchased the car.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    He has spoken to them and that is pretty much what they have said. They said they put it back on and it has come off for some reason they don't know. But it would have broken down sooner than now if the cap wasn't replaced. I think he is going to have to suck it in. Not sure he can prove anything.  
  • Options
     My my son had a similar problem with Halfords several years ago and to be frank they were nasty. Eventually a solicitor was appointed by citizens advice and after about a year they agreed to put it right.
    Halfords are so bad at communicating they just ignored every email until a solicitor was involved.

He got a report done by an independent garage that clearly showed the error was Halfords and the AA did a report when he broke down, clearly indicating an error had been made after the oil change. Halfords didn’t want to put it right until they were contacted by a solicitor.

i would say get as much evidence as he can, don’t leave it too long and take photos, even if he is 100% certain it’s not his fault it’s all about proof.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Many years ago when I had my first car, a Fiat Panda Mk1, I took it in for a service. I noticed that the spare wheel which was in the engine bay was missing when I got the car home. They were unhelpful, telling me to go to the dump and get a replacement and they would pay the cost. I was well peed off, as I thought they should be doing this, but I did it for an easy life and they had one. My car was a bit past its sell by date but it went well.

I always have a good look, so when I was told by my garage they had to replace a new front spring, I checked it was a new one. Many wouldn't. Obviously, I want to be constructive and not tell him what he should have done.
  • Options
    Cool story dude.
  • Options
    sad to say that IF the garage denies responsibility then any compensation claim is toast. Surely his best bet is to claim on his car insurance, that might be cheaper than losing any future no claims bonuses.
    My newish car was recently serviced and the garage/main dealer provided a video of the whole procedure. Not as compelling as L O D but it potentially shows up any corner cutting or 'fraud' on their part
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It is a cautionary tale for others. I've suggested he gets as much evidence as possible and see what he has based on Harley Pete's helpful response. What I thought might help him was the mechanic who worked on the car (the garage owner) said that he put the cap on so it must have fallen or come off later and said if he hadn't the car would have broken down before now. That can't be the case as the car didn't break down until yesterday and he was adamant he hadn't opened the bonnet since the service. I asked him if he recorded the call and he hadn't so suggested he rings him again politely going over what the mechanic said. But it looks a tough one. 

I asked about insurance and he thought he didn't think he could claim as it wasn't an accident. 
  • Options
    Had this happen to me. Fortunately as soon as the oil light came on a put it into neutral and stopped so no damage to engine.
    Had it towed to a Volvo garage. They got me a car to borrow for the weekend while they checked it all out and all I had to pay for was for new oil and a cap. Fantastic service.
    Always used them whilst I owned a Volvo and they were always first class. Top of Princess Road near the M25.
  • Options
    Years ago bought a new Honda from dealership in Bexleyheath. Took it in for first service,  collected it late afternoon, drove out and was just about to turn right into Gravel Hill when oil light came on. Turned round and drove back to Honda, had a look at the dip stick, no oil. Very apologetic,  they said that someone drained it and someone else was suposed to fill it!!. Luckily no damage done by me driving it back, thoughtless i know, but my trust in garage servicing has never recovered. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    No, he said there wasn't an oil light before and the oil filler cap was missing when the breakdown man inspected it. The engine suddenly started to rattle on the motorway and he pulled over straight away.

He told me the oil light did come on and he put some oil in and it went off and he took it straight to a local garage to check if all was ok. He said he checked some reviews as he didn't want to drive it far. They checked it and said it was fine. Then as the 15k service was due he agreed they could do it. That included an oil change which he has on the receipt. He said he had driven it a fair bit in the few weeks since the service with no inkling of a problem.
  • Options
    If the cap had been off for some time the oil that was blowing out of the filler tube , would have covered the engine bay in oil and left a large tell tale patch on the ground, (regardless of any engine under tray arrangement). Smoke (fumes)would have been coming from the hot engine components while being driven. 
    Also remember that oil and water, brake fluid levels, screen wash, and tyre pressures should be checked before any long journey, or a least once a month.

It is also possible (but unlikely) that crankcase compression caused by a blocked engine ventilation system caused the cap to blow off,( if it is a push fit cap) if the crankcase is compressing it would point to a worn engine in the first place.
    I am really surprised that a Suzuki is not equipped with an Oil level monitoring system, and a generic Engine Red Warning should have activated when the system detected either low pressure or low oil level. 
    Suzuki UK should be able to download the Engine ECU (Oil Pressure/Level warning, Warning activated time scale, throttle opening and distance traveled etc) and give you the evidence to return to the garage and have a discussion. 

But if you go ahead with a repair and go back to the original garage you will have a very difficult time trying to claim any out of pocket expense or repair, remember if you put a new engine /short block etc you would have "betterment" and would be expected to pay a contribution anyway. 

Hopes this helps your understanding but i have spent 50 odd years in the Motor Trade.
  • Options
    Thanks, I have e-mailed this on to him