Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RT Slipboard NSFW

Not into buses or trains but found this among the huge John King bequest.

From @Blitzwalker and @GlassHalfFull
we learn it is a slipboard used on RT buses in the 50s and 60s

@GlassHalfFull says that special 161 buses were advertised in 50s and 60s programmes that ran from Sidcup garage to Charlton, beyond their usual terminus in Woolwich.

As John King lived in Eltham it's possible, speculates @GlassHalfFull that this is where he got it.

Similar places of interest boards could be seen at the front of these buses as shown in this pic from @Blitzwalker

No real monatery value, you can buy similar on eBay for £6.99 but an oddity from local history

Comments

• Options

If it is available for purchase, and anything else of transport interest, please let me know.

• Options

I took a quick random look at the 1961-1964 era and each of the programmes has  a small panel in the centre pages, where I thought it would be. CAFC vs Plymouth Argyle 16 Mar 63. (We won 6-3 on a lake in a monsoon.

SPECIAL BUSES TO THE VALLEY

Special London Transport buses for Charlton supporters will run on Saturday home League dates throughout the season.
    Two there-and-back trips, serving 12 points in the south-east suburbs, will run at special bargain fares.
    Starting point for the first trip is Sidcup bus garage, picking up at Sidcup High Street, Chislehurst War Memorial, Mottingham Road, Mottingham Station, and Eltham Church.
    The second trip starts from Bromley bus garage, and has additional picking-up points at Bromley High Street, (Gaumont Cinema), Downham Way, Grove Park bus station, Baring Road, and Lee Green.
    The return fares range from 4/- to 3/-, with half price for Under 14 fans.

• Options
    I remember the special trains to & from Selhurst when we ground shared. After a match trains would run into London Bridge, turn around & straight back out to Dartford.
  • Options
    So are you saying that we've been upsetting Gillingham chairmen since the 50's?
  • Options

I took a quick random look at the 1961-1964 era and each of the programmes has  a small panel in the centre pages, where I thought it would be. CAFC vs Plymouth Argyle 16 Mar 63. (We won 6-3 on a lake in a monsoon.

SPECIAL BUSES TO THE VALLEY

Special London Transport buses for Charlton supporters will run on Saturday home League dates throughout the season.
    Two there-and-back trips, serving 12 points in the south-east suburbs, will run at special bargain fares.
    Starting point for the first trip is Sidcup bus garage, picking up at Sidcup High Street, Chislehurst War Memorial, Mottingham Road, Mottingham Station, and Eltham Church.
    The second trip starts from Bromley bus garage, and has additional picking-up points at Bromley High Street, (Gaumont Cinema), Downham Way, Grove Park bus station, Baring Road, and Lee Green.
    The return fares range from 4/- to 3/-, with half price for Under 14 fans.

Bromley = heartland Charlton support
  • Options
    Photo by WR Legg of one of the excursion buses from Sidcup in 1956. Parked at Well Hall Station during the match.

Thanks to @blitzwalker
  • Options
    Henry could be onto something, I recall the special bus from Bromley in the early 60’s was always full by the time it reached us at Lee Green.

Then thinking on it so was the 75 bus to Charlton village and that had come from Croydon ( make of that what you will).
  • Options
    Back in the late 50's early 60's there was a special bus from Bexleyheath bus garage.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clever - because that is as close as you would want to be...