Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mirroring the 2017/18 season

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    In 18/19 we were the form team going into the playoffs, so I was confident we could go on and win the lot, and of course we did. 

17/18 I felt like we stumbled into them, and we never looked like beating Shrewsbury in the semi's apart from the first 10 mins of the first leg!

19 points from your last 10 league games is not stumbling into the playoffs. 
    While losing the Rochdale, Wimbledon and Scunthorpe? I wouldnt say we stormed into them either....
    What? Two points a game is top two form. 

And who are we allowed to lose to? League One teams play in League One.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    shirty5 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    In 18/19 we were the form team going into the playoffs, so I was confident we could go on and win the lot, and of course we did. 

17/18 I felt like we stumbled into them, and we never looked like beating Shrewsbury in the semi's apart from the first 10 mins of the first leg!

19 points from your last 10 league games is not stumbling into the playoffs. 
    While losing the Rochdale, Wimbledon and Scunthorpe? I wouldnt say we stormed into them either....

And who are we allowed to lose to? League One teams play in League One.
    So its not reasonable for us to expect a positive result against those teams when we were chasing the playoffs?
  • Options
    Bowyer’s 17/18 team drew the 40th game of the season. 1-1 away at Bristol Rovers.

Adkins’ 20/21 team have drawn the 40th game of the season 0-0 at home to Ipswich.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The next two games are where we need to make up some ground up on the 17/18 team. Aiming for at least four, but we need three points minimum from the next two or we will leave ourselves in a hole that’s difficult to get out of.

In 17/18, Bowyer’s team lost both the 41st and 42nd games. 1-0 away at Wimbledon, 0-1 at home to Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    Bowyer’s 17/18 team drew the 40th game of the season. 1-1 away at Bristol Rovers.

Adkins’ 20/21 team have drawn the 40th game of the season 0-0 at home to Ipswich.
    In another comparison, both games were turgid
  • Options
    The next two games are where we need to make up some ground up on the 17/18 team. Aiming for at least four, but we need three points minimum from the next two or we will leave ourselves in a hole that’s difficult to get out of.

In 17/18, Bowyer’s team lost both the 41st and 42nd games. 1-0 away at Wimbledon, 0-1 at home to Scunthorpe.
    That Wimbledon game still gives me nightmares. In control for most of the game & then Bauer slips which lets in Taylor to score. Thought the play offs had gone.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Bowyer’s team lost the 41st game 1-0 away at Wimbledon. That season we had 62 points after 41 games. We obtained nine points from the final five games to finish in 6th on 71.

Adkins’ team won the 41st game 6-0 away at Plymouth. We are four points ahead of the 17/18 team at the same stage. Nine more points would all but guarantee playoffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    One of the freakiest comparisons yet?

Bowyer’s team lost the 42nd game 1-0 at home to Scunthorpe - goalscorer Ivan Toney was a target for CAFC. Scunthorpe finished the season in the top six. 

That season we had 62 points after 42 games. We obtained nine points from the final four games to finish 6th on 71. 

Adkins’ team lost the 42nd game 1-0 at home to Peterborough - goalscorer Johnson Clarke-Harris was a target for CAFC. Peterborough will finish the season in the top two.

We are still four points ahead of the 17/18 team at the same stage. Nine points still all but guarantees playoffs - could two wins and a draw be enough?
  • Options
    Life works in mysterious ways and so many coincidences and history repeating itself. Football is fine example of that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    2018 we didn’t go up
    2021 we won’t go up either 
    spooky ! 
    Come on now... We might make it through to Wembley at least! 
  • Options
    I think I’d rather not make the play offs , than make them and lose and I’d rather lose in the semi than in the final ....but obviously to have the chance of success we’re gonna have to risk failure .
  • Options
    In the 43rd game of the 17/18 season, Bowyer's team won 2-0 away at Shrewsbury.

In the 43rd game of the 20/21 season, Adkins' team drew 2-2 at home against Crewe.

We are two points ahead of where we were three years ago.
  • Options

In the 43rd game of the 20/21 season, Adkins' team drew 2-2 at home against Crewe.

And we lost our last game of that season didn't we?
  • Options
    69 points in 2018 were enough to make the play offs 
    71 points won’t be enough in 2021 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

And we lost our last game of that season didn't we?

Yes after 43 games we had 65 points. We won the next two games and then lost on the last day of the season at Rochdale to finish on 71.

If we follow the same pattern here we’ll end the season on 73. I think that gives us a chance. A slim one admittedly.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Bowyer’s final three games: WWL

Ended on 71 points, made the playoffs in 6th.

Adkins’ final three games: DWW

Ended on 74 points, missed the playoffs on goal difference.