Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton training at Charlton Park ahead of 1985/86 season

Found some tv footage on a VHS tape at my parents of Charlton training  at Charlton Park ahead of the 85/86 season. Enjoy! 

Comments

• Options
    Fascinating

Did we regularly train on Charlton Park back then? What is a school or some lads were playing there, could we pull rank  :D
  • Options
    Fascinating

Did we regularly train on Charlton Park back then? What is a school or some lads were playing there, could we pull rank  :D
    We did that summer, some sort of tie in with Greenwich Council were had become a club sponsor after the Sunley takeover  I spent loads of my summer holiday that year watching them train.  The players got changed at The Valley and run up the hill
  • Options
    I was living right near the park and remember going to watch them train
  • Options
    Charlton Park ... my old home ground (Sherington Road School team - 1961/62-ish).

What a team that was.  'Fatty' Saunders in goal.  Geoff Dyett.  Phil Snow.

And Mr Skinner ... our tireless Manager.  
  • Options
    £100k for a full back pairing of Humphrey and Reid - outstanding work Lennie! 
    And Steve Thompson as well £15k (I think). 
  • Options
    I was living right near the park and remember going to watch them train

Sat and watched every day, on the hockey pitches they trained
  • Options
    '6 new players is the tactic Chelsea used'. shows how much the game has changed when signing 6 players in the summer was considered to be an unusual tactic
  • Options
    Fascinating

We're watching pre-season training here. That was the time just before Sparrows Lane was bought.

Much of the 'during the season' training was done at The Valley in earlier times, even when Eddie Firmani and Theo Foley had been managers.

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Fascinating

We did that summer, some sort of tie in with Greenwich Council were had become a club sponsor after the Sunley takeover  I spent loads of my summer holiday that year watching them train.  The players got changed at The Valley and run up the hill
    Wow, though I remember in Garry Nelson's second book that the team he was coaching (Torquay?) had to train in public parks!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:
    '6 new players is the tactic Chelsea used'. shows how much the game has changed when signing 6 players in the summer was considered to be an unusual tactic
    An average transfer window for us these days!
  • Options
    Size of those players legs. a tackle from that lot would snap a modern player in half. I am built of the same mold and am forever bitter that the game has moved away from my form.  
  • Options
    All of the new players mentioned Pearson, Reid, Humphrey, Pender, Reid and Shipley were integral members of that promotion team - only poor Jimmy Loveridge didn't make the cut, unable to replace our home grown duo of Amos and Robert Lee.
  • Options
    I’m blocked, awkward.
  • Options
    All of the new players mentioned Pearson, Reid, Humphrey, Pender, Reid and Shipley were integral members of that promotion team - only poor Jimmy Loveridge didn't make the cut, unable to replace our home grown duo of Amos and Robert Lee.

Forgive me but I've never known why Mark Stuart was called Amos?
  • Options
    Amos on account of his muttonchops and penchant for gossip
  • Options
    Hello Dave Rudd,I don,t know if you remember me my name is John Davis Davo53 on here,I lived in Phipps house on the bottom of Victoria way from 1958 to 1966 a gang of us used to play football on the green in the middle othe flats if my memory serves me right your nickname was spud, I went to fossdene then Sherrington and finally black Heath and blue oats very happy memories.but so long ago.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Hello Dave Rudd,I don,t know if you remember me my name is John Davis Davo53 on here,I lived in Phipps house on the bottom of Victoria way from 1958 to 1966 a gang of us used to play football on the green in the middle othe flats if my memory serves me right your nickname was spud, I went to fossdene then Sherrington and finally black Heath and blue oats very happy memories.but so long ago.
    I've PM-ed you, John.

The CL World is not ready for the reminiscences of two old boys.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I've said it on CL before but I couldn't believe that we a) signed John Humphrey b) that we got him for anything less than £200k. He was a stand-out in Wolves promotion team of 82-83. Never did I think we could get him. 

Many years later, I told Humph that I knew Wolves were skint but £60k was a joke. He laughed and then told me that Lennie had initially offered £15k!!!!