Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• He's not the Messiah....
  • Heard that he’s desperate to get a club up north. He and his Mrs have supposedly poured a lot of money into a house in Manchester and are keen to start living in it. 
  • Heard that he’s desperate to get a club up north. He and his Mrs have supposedly poured a lot of money into a house in Manchester and are keen to start living in it. 
    Funny you should say that as a mate of my mentioned to me about 6 weeks that Preston were taking a look at Amos. At the time I said they could have him! He's turned it around again with a slightly more settled defence in front of him. 
  • Amos is decent keeper at this level, but, and this is no sleight at him, I feel like there are a lot of "decent" keepers at this level and therefore he's fairly easily replaced
  • We can get Dillon back.
  • edited April 2021
    I like him a lot. He commands his area in a way that is actually quite rare these days - it's a bit old school to come and catch crosses. There seemed to be this received wisdom develop that we were conceding a lot of soft goals so there must be something wrong with the keeper, but I honestly didn't see many errors from him that caused goals against. We really did go through a run of worldies and lucky deflections being scored against us and the root cause for that was the piss-poor organisation of the defence and midfield in front of him. In the last couple of months that issue has been addressed. Unsurprisingly, as a result, the goals have stopped flying in from all angles and Amos looks more confident as a result. He's saved us more points than he has dropped us this season, by some margin imho.

Decent keepers are always easier to find because teams only ever need a couple of them at any one time, but I reckon he's good enough for the Championship if we got up. At least for the first season or two.

• I'd be happy if Amos stayed, but wouldn't be over concerned if he left either

Good handling and a good shot stopper when close to the attacker, but we've let in too many long shots for his ability against them not to be questioned. 
    Funny you should say that as a mate of my mentioned to me about 6 weeks that Preston were taking a look at Amos. At the time I said they could have him! He's turned it around again with a slightly more settled defence in front of him. 
    Swop him for Bauer! 

Good handling and a good shot stopper when close to the attacker, but we've let in too many long shots for his ability against them not to be questioned. 

Genuine question, of the long range goals we've conceded, how many do you think Amos should have saved?
  • Sponsored links:

• He's started to win us points since his Birthday. I have no idea if his bday triggered a transfer clause to be neared to his new gaff in Manchester!
  • For me, Amos is transformed since Adkins arrived. He appears to be much more confident and has pulled off some great saves at crucial times. It can’t be coincidence this has happened under the new gaffer and the fact that Adkins was a goalkeeper in his playing days no doubt plays a part.

Fair play to Ben - great to see him performing well and enjoying his football.

Genuine question, of the long range goals we've conceded, how many do you think Amos should have saved?
    Phillips would have saved 2 or 3 of them in my opinion 
  • He is alright, wouldn't be too bothered if he left or stayed
  • bobmunro said:
    I'd be happy if Amos stayed, but wouldn't be over concerned if he left either

Possibly - but what about the worldies Amos has pulled off in some games. Would Dillon have saved those?

Impossible to say, of course, but I believe despite some mistakes Amos is in credit this season.
    Amos has certainly improved since Adkins became manager that for sure.
    Still not bothered if he stays or goes though. 
  • Amos may not be as good a shot stopper as Phillips but I love how he commands his area. Every time the ball gets crossed into the box I'm thinking "Amos will get that". Genuinely can't remember him flapping at anything this season though he must've done once or twice.
    Defence must love it. 

Probably 2 or 3. Keepers will regularly face screamers where this is a small chance of saving them, so that while each shot is likely to go in, the keeper would hope to save at least a couple of them a season. I don't recall Amos making any "spectacular" saves, maybe he's not as athletic (as in "springiness") as some other keepers? But as I said the other aspects of his game are very good.

Darren Randolph to me was more athletic than Rob Elliott - I still remember an amazing leaping save he made at Anfield -  but Rob had other strengths
  • So true - he commands his area in a way you do not see many goalies do in L1. At the end of the day he was very well school'd of the basics at Manure.

His distribution has also improved of late. I'm surprised he hasn't saved many penalties seeing as close shot stopping is his main strength. 
  • I'm definitely in the keep Amos camp, though I would like to see someone bought in to realistically and consistently challenge him for starting position as I feel it probably focuses him more if he knows he's got to fight for his place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame you can't have a combination of Phillips and Amos but if you did that keeper would be playing in the Premier league anyway. Honest opinion is I prefer Amos of the 2 and whilst he did let in a lot of long range shots there were probably only a couple where I thought he should have done better.
  • bobmunro said:
    I'd be happy if Amos stayed, but wouldn't be over concerned if he left either

Possibly - but what about the worldies Amos has pulled off in some games. Would Dillon have saved those?

Impossible to say, of course, but I believe despite some mistakes Amos is in credit this season.
    Agreed, every keeper makes mistakes. Phillips made some outstanding saves last season but off the top off my head I remember at least 4 points he cost us with mistakes. 

Amos was well in credit at Christmas, that was pretty much diminished but then has redeemed himself again, winning us points over the last 4-5 matches. In a season where pretty much everyone has struggled for consistency, he is is definitely in my top 3 for POTY (albeit probably third). 

Agreed. I don't how many there were perhaps as many as 8?
    The main problem was our midfield and defence letting the opposition shoot unchallenged.
    The more this happened other teams picked up on it and were shooting on sight, still unchallenged.
    I suggest in training if you let someone who is good at shooting have a pop unchallenged, they would be capable of putting most in the top corner from 20/25 yards.
    If this wasn't the case nobody would make a wall to defend a free kick from that range.