Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

Comments

• Options
    luke1 said:
    Not sure if somebody has already mentioned Paul Mullin from league 2 Cambridge.  31 goals this season.  Will be a free agent. 
    Yeah and he averaged 4 goals a season before this one.  I think if he was that good someone would have signed him in January? 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
    Don’t want anything to do with Jamal Blackman. He’s a not a great keeper for starters, and secondly, the lifestyle he lives is not what we want at our club. He’s on an absolute fortune at Chelsea too. If he leaves Chelsea in future, he will end up near the lower echelons of the game or not playing at all. He’s not interested in making a career for himself, more what he can get from this lifestyle and money
    Good for him.  If there's anything wrong with that scenario, blame Chelsea, not the player.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Benjy Nurick sums up this well - we have a group of squad players, we need a core of great players who can turn defeats in to draws and draws in to wins.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-need-a-core-rebuild-this-summer-with-the-accrington-defeat-underlining-why-they-are-set-to-fall-short-in-play-off-push/
    That bloke does write well.
    Writes well if (accrington-defeat) a bit prematurely.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    One or two people not that happy with Amos......actually I don’t count myself in that category.
    However, should we be looking around for a good young prospect, who is already playing first team football, then we could do worse than consider Rotherham’s Blackman.....who coincidentally, is in fact a black man .
    Don’t want anything to do with Jamal Blackman. He’s a not a great keeper for starters, and secondly, the lifestyle he lives is not what we want at our club. He’s on an absolute fortune at Chelsea too. If he leaves Chelsea in future, he will end up near the lower echelons of the game or not playing at all. He’s not interested in making a career for himself, more what he can get from this lifestyle and money. 
    Do you know him or someone who does to question his lifestyle? Just genuinely interested how you'd know this as most people have barely heard of the guy.

Also to say he's not interested in a career, he's been contracted to Chelsea for 10 years, that's not a bad career so far is it? That's better than 99% of the football world will achieve.
    I think Sage's point was that he's not interested in playing football. Being at Chelsea is a career, no doubt decent for his bank balance but has no desire to play. When he leaves Chelsea his lack of determination will put a lot of clubs off. 
    How does "gone out on loan every season" equate to "not interested in playing football"?  He's played football but on better wages than he'd have got from the club he played for.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Don’t want anything to do with Jamal Blackman. He’s a not a great keeper for starters, and secondly, the lifestyle he lives is not what we want at our club. He’s on an absolute fortune at Chelsea too. If he leaves Chelsea in future, he will end up near the lower echelons of the game or not playing at all. He’s not interested in making a career for himself, more what he can get from this lifestyle and money. 
    Do you know him or someone who does to question his lifestyle? Just genuinely interested how you'd know this as most people have barely heard of the guy.

Also to say he's not interested in a career, he's been contracted to Chelsea for 10 years, that's not a bad career so far is it? That's better than 99% of the football world will achieve.
    I think Sage's point was that he's not interested in playing football. Being at Chelsea is a career, no doubt decent for his bank balance but has no desire to play. When he leaves Chelsea his lack of determination will put a lot of clubs off. 
    But surely the fact he's happy to go out on loan every season proves he is interested in playing? Not sure how much say he gets in his moves but he's been to Sweden, Holland, up north etc, so is obviously willing to do more than sit in their reserves.
    Yeah that's fair, but is doing that on his Chelsea salary. If he's released will he have the same motivation to do so when Chelsea aren't paying him an inflated salary for the privilege? 
  • Options
    Sage said:

But surely the fact he's happy to go out on loan every season proves he is interested in playing? Not sure how much say he gets in his moves but he's been to Sweden, Holland, up north etc, so is obviously willing to do more than sit in their reserves.
    Yeah that's fair, but is doing that on his Chelsea salary. If he's released will he have the same motivation to do so when Chelsea aren't paying him an inflated salary for the privilege? 
    Yes. A championship or league 1 club will stay pat a reasonable salary.

I don’t get that just because he has been at Chelsea for 10 years, why he shouldn’t be motivated etc.

he has struck gold. Plays on loan in league 1 or the championship on premiership money. Purrington is a league 1 player on league 1 money. Fair play to him for getting long contracts at Chelsea.

chelsea see him as an asset and are happy to get a fee every year, why shouldn’t he rinse chelsea for every penny
  • Options
    Sage said:

How does "gone out on loan every season" equate to "not interested in playing football"?  He's played football but on better wages than he'd have got from the club he played for.
    Well he still hasn't played that much. To be honest I'm not judging as I don't know him personally at all and no doubt the contract offers from Chelsea were hard to resist. Fault lies with clubs like Chelsea who allow this to happen IMO. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

I don’t get that just because he has been at Chelsea for 10 years, why he shouldn’t be motivated etc.

he has struck gold. Plays on loan in league 1 or the championship on premiership money. Purrington is a league 1 player on league 1 money. Fair play to him for getting long contracts at Chelsea.

chelsea see him as an asset and are happy to get a fee every year, why shouldn’t he rinse chelsea for every penny
    no way is he an asset for them, he's costing them money ever year and then he'll be released. 

I never said he won't have the motivation, I asked the question. Some will undoubtedly vary dependent on the person. You see it all the time, some get picked up like you state, but others fall away, dropping down the leagues. So I don't agree he will automatically be motivated by a permanent move to the Champ or League 1, but also that it's not right to assume he won't. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

no way is he an asset for them, he's costing them money ever year and then he'll be released. 

I never said he won't have the motivation, I asked the question. Some will undoubtedly vary dependent on the person. You see it all the time, some get picked up like you state, but others fall away, dropping down the leagues. So I don't agree he will automatically be motivated by a permanent move to the Champ or League 1, but also that it's not right to assume he won't. 
    Loan fees? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:

Loan fees? 
    If Chelsea are making a profit on him, by loaning him to Rotherham, he isn't on big money. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Loan fees? 
    Maybe a small fee, but no way are Rotherham paying all of his wages. I think he's rumoured to be on 20k a week at Chelsea. 
  • Options
    why would chelsea offer him new contracts for the last decade? Surely at the age of 21/22 they would have had an idea if he would make it with them.
  • Options
    Sage said:

Loan fees? 
    Maybe a small fee, but no way are Rotherham paying all of his wages. I think he's rumoured to be on 20k a week at Chelsea. 
    £20k a week !!! I bet he is popular in the Rotherham changing room lol
  • Options
    why would chelsea offer him new contracts for the last decade? Surely at the age of 21/22 they would have had an idea if he would make it with them.
    No idea. Could say the same about Utd offering Lee Grant a new contract last summer when they had De Gea, Henderson and Romero on their books. At 37 I doubt he thought they had scope to improve either. 
  • Options
    I read this morning that Everton and a few other Prem clubs are lining up offers for Ivan Toney. Another decent payday for Brentford I would think is on the horizon. Decent model to follow imo
  • Options
    No idea. Could say the same about Utd offering Lee Grant a new contract last summer when they had De Gea, Henderson and Romero on their books. At 37 I doubt he thought they had scope to improve either. 
    That's slightly different as Grant is part of the United 1st team rather than sent out on loan. Not sure why United need such a player as they have plenty of home grown players, but the likes of City usually have an old English keeper to bump up their domestic squad quota!
  • Options
    That's slightly different as Grant is part of the United 1st team rather than sent out on loan. Not sure why United need such a player as they have plenty of home grown players, but the likes of City usually have an old English keeper to bump up their domestic squad quota!
    Third choice keeper so they can loan out other promising keeper without being left short if De Gea or Henderson are injured.

I presume they thought they'd sell Romero before the end of the window.

And bonus for being English as its a home grown player in the squad.

Cushy job for a player coming to the end of his career too, decent pay, great facilities etc.

See: Stuart Taylor, Robert Green, Joe Hart, Scott Carson etc at various times.
  • Options
    Blackman has been out on loan and called back to being third choice though over the years though (Todd's point was about him being given new contracts over the years). Agree on City having the third choice for the English quota, but that didn't apply to Utd so giving Grant a new contract was just weird. Anyway, think I've taken this thread off topic enough now!
  • Options
    Blackman has been out on loan and called back to being third choice though over the years though (Todd's point was about him being given new contracts over the years). Agree on City having the third choice for the English quota, but that didn't apply to Utd so giving Grant a new contract was just weird. Anyway, think I've taken this thread off topic enough now!
    A couple of years ago they preferred to sign Robert Green and sent him out on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    A couple of years ago they preferred to sign Robert Green and sent him out on loan.
    https://www.whoateallthepies.tv/chelsea/282820/i-cant-complain-rob-green-basically-confirms-third-choice-goalkeeper-at-premier-league-club-is-the-best-job-in-the-frigging-world.html
  • Options
    think i saw on twitter that George Moncur is out of contract in the summer - always caught the eye when we've played them and one I'd like to see us take a look at 
  • Options
    think i saw on twitter that George Moncur is out of contract in the summer - always caught the eye when we've played them and one I'd like to see us take a look at 
    Think he'll play in the Championship next season one way or another. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    The sheer numbers of players that Chelsea and City have on their books that are highly unlikely to ever play for them is ridiculous. It must be a nightmare for someone having to keep track of them all. Maybe this guy has been there 10 years and they havent noticed lol
    I'd have given this a like but for the 'lol' - one of my pet hates (although my detestation of it is mild compared to how much I hate hearing people say it).  It's funny, you don't need to tell us you think so, too, and telling us you think so wouldn't make it funny if it wasn't.
  • Options
    In midfield, Gilbey and Morgan, have the legs, energy and skill and I feel we need a new midfielder to supplement their skills. JFC is 50/50 for me, but if he can play the defensive midfielder instead of the yellow card boys Watson and Pratley then all well and good. 

Matthews must stay as he is ahead of Gunter.  

I normally have a long list of names, but not certain that players who have done well against Cafc this season we should buy or else we would have a squad of 50  :#
  • Options
    I suppose the starting point is looking at who we want to keep. I think I would put Aneke at the top of the list. If we are in League One, Stockley is a decent target but not so if a miracle happens and we go up.
  • Options
    IF a miracle occured and we were in the Championship, Jayden Stockley would/could be your 4th striker. Plan B or C. Good honest pro who will nick a couple of goals mainly in the air.

I would prefer to judge Stockley with a strike partner but just like Josh Magennis who I believe has scored 17 goals in League 1 but could only score 4 in 30+ matches in the Championship for Hull. First time Josh has ever scored more than 10  in a season since coming out of goal. (Pro clubs)

Jayden Stockley has had a fine loan for Cafc and it's good to hear the boy from Poole's accent. Good guy with a great attitude.

Played for Bournemouth, his local Pro club at 16 when Eddie Howe had to get permission from his School for an Away evening match.
  • Options
    We might have a chance of getting Stockley, but I imagine parent clubs will want Famewo and Maatsen to go up a level.

Fraser was awful in the second game.
  • Options
    sign: Jayden Stockley
    keep: Amos, Innis, Purrington, Matthews, JFC, Morgan, Davidson, Gilbey, Washington, AMB, Vennings, Barker, Ronnie
    The family silver has long been sold, there is nothing left in the sideboard which could yield a chunk of funds for reinvestment.

need 2/3 goal scorers, 2/3 CH's, wingers, cover for full back and a decent midfield general - who any of them might be is beyond me but TS has staff for that.  Steve Gallen's navigation of turbulent waters has been remarkable.  Here's hoping his guidance across a relative mill pond is serene and swift.

FWIW Of the title winning 11/12 new signings I'd only ever even heard of Paul Hayes, Leons Cort and Clarke (who were never core to the group) and Jason Euell who was a surprise returnee and rarely started before leaving again in January.
    We won't recognise many of the starters come August, nor know much about any of them but if the good luck just outweighs the bad we'll be flying high by Christmas.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    didn’t magennis get double figures for us?

edit. More than 10, he only managed 10 for us