Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I bet Sandgaard is well chuffed....

2»

Comments

• Mentioned it earlier but it’s going to take a good slice of luck to get promoted next season. We’re currently not building a squad over a few seasons working towards a promotion team. Curbishley did it first time around with a number of hardworking “journeyman” sprinkled into a growing team of quality.They came in worked hard and did their job and were moved on when the ability to sign a better player came along. That’s the way to do it. Powell managed to “buy” a promotion team off the peg but it’s not easily done. Of course promotion is the goal next season but I’d reluctantly accept by this time next year the really solid 12 or 13
    players ready for the push and having to fill in the gaps and replace the failures again that summer. I really do think though that promotion 22/23 will be absolutely expected. 
  • Mentioned it earlier but it’s going to take a good slice of luck to get promoted next season. We’re currently not building a squad over a few seasons working towards a promotion team. Curbishley did it first time around with a number of hardworking “journeyman” sprinkled into a growing team of quality.They came in worked hard and did their job and were moved on when the ability to sign a better player came along. That’s the way to do it. Powell managed to “buy” a promotion team off the peg but it’s not easily done. Of course promotion is the goal next season but I’d reluctantly accept by this time next year the really solid 12 or 13
    players ready for the push and having to fill in the gaps and replace the failures again that summer. I really do think though that promotion 22/23 will be absolutely expected. 
    I think it's expected next season. It's like the old 'the next game is a must win' we've been saying lately, we can't keep on making excuses. If we're not not promoted next year there will be unrest in much of the fan base (not myself).

I think it's expected next season. It's like the old 'the next game is a must win' we've been saying lately, we can't keep on making excuses. If we're not not promoted next year there will be unrest in much of the fan base (not myself).

It’s already started 🙄

It's definitely expected, especially as Thomas is the one talking about getting into Europe etc

Even with a flawed recruitment last autumn (due to ESI, the takeover happening late in the window, salary cap etc) we're still going to finish in or just outside the playoffs. The extra 15/20 points to reach the top 2 is hardly an unreasonable ambition
  • edited May 2021
    Mentioned it earlier but it’s going to take a good slice of luck to get promoted next season. We’re currently not building a squad over a few seasons working towards a promotion team. Curbishley did it first time around with a number of hardworking “journeyman” sprinkled into a growing team of quality.They came in worked hard and did their job and were moved on when the ability to sign a better player came along. That’s the way to do it. Powell managed to “buy” a promotion team off the peg but it’s not easily done. Of course promotion is the goal next season but I’d reluctantly accept by this time next year the really solid 12 or 13

It's definitely expected, especially as Thomas is the one talking about getting into Europe etc

Even with a flawed recruitment last autumn (due to ESI, the takeover happening late in the window, salary cap etc) we're still going to finish in or just outside the playoffs. The extra 15/20 points to reach the top 2 is hardly an unreasonable ambition
    5 extra wins? Should definitely be considered as reasonable next season. 
  • He forked out for that extra overnight stay after Plymouth. Ipswich, Crewe and Accrington has been proper tits up since.

I know where I’d tell the manager to stick it the next time he comes with a request like that.

Its been such a disaster since that fateful night, if it wasn’t for the location I’d have swore they stayed at Pontins Camber Sands. 
    what an inane post!
    Thanks Lancs :-)

It was intended to be tongue in cheek, but explain why it was inane?

I’m struggling to get my head round it. Performances were improving, results were improving and players understanding each other’s games improving. A huge amount was made by Adkins, Curbs and Minto folllowing the final whistle into the massive impact in being able to stay overnight in Plymouth post game. To aid recovery and preparations for the games ahead. It felt that evening we had a massive wave of momentum building and we were taking a costly step that was going to bring us further benefits.

since then we’ve stunk the place out performance wise. We’ve gone back to some of the shocker performances we had months ago when we were injury riddled with an unsettled squad at odds with their manager.

so what the hell happened overnight Plymouth? It feels (tongue in cheek again) like the Gavin & Stacey fishing trip. 

And (non-tongue in cheek), I suspect the next time the manager requests to make an away trip £10k more expensive, TS will turn round and say ‘no’ as it clearly offered no benefit when we tried it last time. 
  • Glad I’m not the only one still wondering what went on, on the Gavin & Stacey fishing trip...
  • He forked out for that extra overnight stay after Plymouth. Ipswich, Crewe and Accrington has been proper tits up since.

I know where I’d tell the manager to stick it the next time he comes with a request like that.

Its been such a disaster since that fateful night, if it wasn’t for the location I’d have swore they stayed at Pontins Camber Sands. 
    what an inane post!
    Thanks Lancs :-)

It was intended to be tongue in cheek, but explain why it was inane?

I’m struggling to get my head round it. Performances were improving, results were improving and players understanding each other’s games improving. A huge amount was made by Adkins, Curbs and Minto folllowing the final whistle into the massive impact in being able to stay overnight in Plymouth post game. To aid recovery and preparations for the games ahead. It felt that evening we had a massive wave of momentum building and we were taking a costly step that was going to bring us further benefits.

since then we’ve stunk the place out performance wise. We’ve gone back to some of the shocker performances we had months ago when we were injury riddled with an unsettled squad at odds with their manager.

so what the hell happened overnight Plymouth? It feels (tongue in cheek again) like the Gavin & Stacey fishing trip. 

And (non-tongue in cheek), I suspect the next time the manager requests to make an away trip £10k more expensive, TS will turn round and say ‘no’ as it clearly offered no benefit when we tried it last time. 
    It's not only bizarre but so disappointing.

Dropping 5 points due to missing penalties, injury time goals conceded against struggling teams cost us at least 4. That’s 9 points which would have put us near 80 points.

we need a decent summer of recruitment but we are not 15 players away from a decent squad!
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I bothered?  Yes.

Am I suicidal?  No.
  • I think the pressure got to us post Plymouth, must win games against mid table sides with nothing to play for. We need a side with mentality and confidence as much as quality next year.

As for JFC, he's easily good enough to be in a top league one squad. If he was playing for MK Dons, Burton or Crewe he'd have been dancing through our midfield along with the rest of them and we'd be begging to sign him. The problem is our midfield lacked mobility, cohesion and most importantly a gameplan for most of the season. I hope NA can get us playing like those teams did against us, with relentless pressing, quick, incisive passing and awareness of where teammates will be moving to and from. That, combined with signing a decent quality of player should see us competing at the top. Fingers crossed.
  • I think the pressure got to us post Plymouth, must win games against mid table sides with nothing to play for. We need a side with mentality and confidence as much as quality next year.

As for JFC, he's easily good enough to be in a top league one squad. If he was playing for MK Dons, Burton or Crewe he'd have been dancing through our midfield along with the rest of them and we'd be begging to sign him. The problem is our midfield lacked mobility, cohesion and most importantly a gameplan for most of the season. I hope NA can get us playing like those teams did against us, with relentless pressing, quick, incisive passing and awareness of where teammates will be moving to and from. That, combined with signing a decent quality of player should see us competing at the top. Fingers crossed.
    JFC looks half decent, as his colleagues are crap. A brilliant position from a free kick yesterday - he just harmlessly kicked it over the bar, talk of POTY - lol
  • Surely Sandgaard must have entertained the fact that we might not get promoted before buying the club? I don’t think another season in league one is a disaster - yes the football is shit, but let’s get it right - we could well have been faced with the prospect of being A.F.C. Charlton and playing away games with players making sliding tackles and getting up covered in dog shit....in front of 200 fans. 

The entire football season has been crap and a write off for most clubs - even the teams that have won things must feel it hasn’t been the same as in normal years. The sooner this season gets put to bed the better.

Exactly. Things could have been a lot worse.

We are now close to being a normal football club. We are on that pathway.

Might aswell just have the glass half full.
  • Croydon said:
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:
    Dave2l said:
    It's not a disaster for TS. 

He is not poor. He will still be living and breathing and he obviously likes a challenge. He's absolutely loaded.

I have no idea how much money he's lost as a result of our likely failure to get out of this league, but stop worrying about it. It's not our problem.
    Easy to say when it's not your money isn't it

Yes. It's not our problem. We don't own the club. We didn't negotiate for the purchase of the club.

Our sympathy towards him is fair but no one has actually caused him this problem. It's because we were just so used to Roland's continuous dog barking of everything is everyone else's fault.

He owns the football club. He's an experienced businessman. He's not going to start sobbing.

We only want what is best for TS but he's owned us for 8-9months. 

It's early days and plenty of potential!
    Our owner losing money because of the club is our problem.

I understand what you mean and yes it's very important.

Just trying to reduce the nature of direct responsibility for something that we have no control over.

Our owner is a man with a plan. It does feel pretty sh*t knowing he's probably lost a large chunk of money. The overall net sum after owning the club.

£10million down the drain? Roughly?

No idea
  • Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:
    Dave2l said:
    Croydon said:
    Dave2l said:
    It's not a disaster for TS. 

He is not poor. He will still be living and breathing and he obviously likes a challenge. He's absolutely loaded.

I have no idea how much money he's lost as a result of our likely failure to get out of this league, but stop worrying about it. It's not our problem.
    Easy to say when it's not your money isn't it

Yes. It's not our problem. We don't own the club. We didn't negotiate for the purchase of the club.

Our sympathy towards him is fair but no one has actually caused him this problem. It's because we were just so used to Roland's continuous dog barking of everything is everyone else's fault.

He owns the football club. He's an experienced businessman. He's not going to start sobbing.

We only want what is best for TS but he's owned us for 8-9months. 

It's early days and plenty of potential!
    Our owner losing money because of the club is our problem.

I understand what you mean and yes it's very important.

Just trying to reduce the nature of direct responsibility for something that we have no control over.

Our owner is a man with a plan. It does feel pretty sh*t knowing he's probably lost a large chunk of money. The overall net sum after owning the club.

£10million down the drain? Roughly?

No idea
    The sales of Phillips, Bonne and Doughty will have helped cover some of this season's losses though
  • Just how much would the club get if Pope is sold ?

JFC looks half decent, as his colleagues are crap. A brilliant position from a free kick yesterday - he just harmlessly kicked it over the bar, talk of POTY - lol
    I agree with this, JFC is the best of a bad bunch but isn’t good enough to be a regular starter for me. Seeing as he’s out of contract it will be interesting to see who comes in for him, or doesn’t.

I agree with this, JFC is the best of a bad bunch but isn’t good enough to be a regular starter for me. Seeing as he’s out of contract it will be interesting to see who comes in for him, or doesn’t.
    JFC not athletic enough for me....needs someone beside him to do all the grunt work in midfield. League one player at best IMO
  • Sponsored links:

• I was thinking the same AFKA.
    What was the point.