Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hazardous Waste Disposal

Cant believe I'm posting on this subject.

We've got an empty helium cannister at home, along with about 1 litre of contaminated petrol (with water) from my old lawn mower which I took to the Waldo Road recycling dump in Bromley today to be told they dont take either of them.

So how the hell do I get rid?

Dont want to risk burning the petrol.  Is there places that take it?

Comments

• Options
    There's a place near Bromley that will take it. The address is Whitehorse Lane, SE25 6PU. All you need to do is set light to the can then chuck it over the wall.
    Or there’s one in SE16.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We took some old Jerry cans of petrol to Churchfields dump last week.  They have a big container you pour it in.  One for oil too.
    Now if someone knows of a place that takes old tyres I'd be grateful.  Council won't, KwikFit don't, online companies want more than the tyres cost to collect.  Got rid of 5 on Freecycle to someone for their allotment, but still got about a dozen left.

Not so sure on helium other than go back to who you got it from if it was a shop, or if you do go to Churchfields with your petrol, at Elmers End by Tesco traffic lights, there's a party shop who do helium balloons and they may have a contact who could help.
  • Options
    addix said:
    We took some old Jerry cans of petrol to Churchfields dump last week.  They have a big container you pour it in.  One for oil too.
    Now if someone knows of a place that takes old tyres I'd be grateful.  Council won't, KwikFit don't, online companies want more than the tyres cost to collect.  Got rid of 5 on Freecycle to someone for their allotment, but still got about a dozen left.

Not so sure on helium other than go back to who you got it from if it was a shop, or if you do go to Churchfields with your petrol, at Elmers End by Tesco traffic lights, there's a party shop who do helium balloons and they may have a contact who could help.
    brilliant, will take a drive over there later, thanks.
  • Options
    I've got a mate that runs a 24 hour tip, it's not open at night though so you'll need to arrive before 5. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    There's a place near Bromley that will take it. The address is Whitehorse Lane, SE25 6PU. All you need to do is set light to the can then chuck it over the wall.
    Well, we know if we build a bonfire, we know what goes in the middle and on top!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I've got a mate that runs a 24 hour tip, it's not open at night though so you'll need to arrive before 5. 
    Eng Del Telecom Ctufsm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • Options
    Do you post this kind of stuff on the Spurs forums JohnBoy?

;-)
  • Options
    Do you post this kind of stuff on the Spurs forums JohnBoy?

;-)
    Yeah - that's how he knows where Daniel Levy lives.
  • Options
    Anyone got any idea what to do with this? I found it long after I'd moved house a few years ago and not sure how to dispose of it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    helium not hugely hazardous itself - certainly not flammable, not technically toxic - a few darwin award candidates harm themselves with it but that's exclusively user error.  only the pressure in the cylinder might make it dangerous, vent it to empty (the gas escapes the atmosphere it's so light), then the cylinder is just scrap metal 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    helium not hugely hazardous itself - certainly not flammable, not technically toxic - a few darwin award candidates harm themselves with it but that's exclusively user error.  only the pressure in the cylinder might make it dangerous, vent it to empty (the gas escapes the atmosphere it's so light), then the cylinder is just scrap metal 
    Exactly what I've done and assumed the dump would take it.  Will have to find a scrap metal place to get rid.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Exactly what I've done and assumed the dump would take it.  Will have to find a scrap metal place to get rid.
    Most scrap metal places don't take cylinders. 
    Those that do will charge you .
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    stick it on the drive and it'll disappear within 24 hours 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    stick it on the drive and it'll disappear within 24 hours 
    Best recycling system known to man. 
    When we lived in Kent our house was basically on the main road (well for a village anyway) and if we needed a skip it was placed by the kerb.
    We would pretty much fill the skip and by the time it was collected it was still full - but with very little that we had actually thrown out!
  • Options
    We put our old dishwasher on the drive while the new one was being installed. It had been taken by the time the installer had finished.
  • Options
    Can someone put Ben Watson on their drive please 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Think you have to have a booking for a collection.
  • Options
    Think you have to have a booking for a collection.
    Fair enough, I mean noone would even take him for free.
  • Options
    contact the council, they'll get rid .. for a price