Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gareth Ainsworth and Wycombe

I thought he did a pretty amazing job to almost keep them up with such a limited squad and budget. 

Comments

• Options
    Shows you it's not all about spending large amounts of money and high wages.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Did really well, they were never going to stay up courtesy of it... but the fact it nearly came down to Goal Difference for them

Fair play - Just hope they're able to cope with League One again and dont copy Burton and Yeovil who struggled financially, as I remember an owner of Yeovil saying that their time in the Championship was what ultimately screwed them over
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    And that squad includes 38 year old Adebayo Akinfenwa, a player who has spent the best part of the last 20 years as a journeyman third and fourth tiers.
    Didn't Wimbledon get rid of him because he wasn't good enough for league 1?

Brilliant story and so he pleased he finally got a goal as well the other week. 
  • Options
    The first half of the season they were so out of their depth.
    The second half of the season they played like a mid table Championship team on many occasions.

Fantastic effort by Gareth Ainsworth and his team.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It’s hardly ever only about what you spend although it helps. The most important appointment a club can make is team manager. To succeed you need to get in the most successful manager you can tempt to take the job. 
  • Options
    Yup great effort from him and the players. Christmas time and even January they were way off and being relegated a lot sooner than the last couple of weeks of season. Great to see them miss out only by a point and especially finish above Wednesday. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Won 5 of the last 10 too. 
  • Options
    Done an excellent job. Personally, think he should leave and take the Preston job as it’s a good step up for him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    It’s hardly only ever about what you spend although it helps. The most important appointment a club can make is team manager. To succeed you need to get in the most successful manager you can tempt to take the job. 
    This. And the most outstanding thing about Ainsworth is that he has been there for nine seasons - no other current Manager has served longer in the Football League. This is the only club that he has been appointed a permanent Manager at and it is a credit to him and Wycombe that neither has sought to part ways during that period especially when one considers that his predecessors include Paul Lambert, Peter Taylor and Tony Adams.  
  • Options
    Done an excellent job. Personally, think he should leave and take the Preston job as it’s a good step up for him. 
    He certainly deserves a crack at a bigger club. He’s worked wonders at Wycombe. 
  • Options
    Ikpeazu has done well trying to be the next Akinfenwa.  
  • Options
    I thought he did a pretty amazing job to almost keep them up with such a limited squad and budget. 
    And he plays guitar in a rock band #JustSaying
  • Options
    Their second half of the season has been good to watch, partially helped in the run in by the lack of pressure on them - because they "expected" to go down they were able to play with the freedom that the likes of Rotherham and Derby couldn't, and as a result actually got into a nice run of form and confidence
  • Options
    In February and shortly before Derby went on that run of 6 points in 15 games, they won 2-1 at Wycombe thanks to an injury time winner by Andre Wisdom. Had Wycombe managed to hold onto a draw, Derby would be down now and Wycombe would still be in the Championship next season.

Such are the margins between success and failure.
  • Options
    All teams relegated last season would have stayed up this year 
  • Options
    Wycombe is a good away, and theyre a decent club with a bit about them. Sad they're coming down, but looking forward to playing them.
  • Options
    Don't think Akinfenwa played much part in the Championship,if they don't lose players I think they will be a top 6 team 
  • Options
    They had a couple of decent units up top Mpenzu and Muskwe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Admiral Muskwe, now there's a name.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    We were in for at one point I seem to remember, might be an early shout for next season!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He should have played with Sailor Brown
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    iaitch said:
    We were in for at one point I seem to remember, might be an early shout for next season!
    He's only on loan from Leicester so dont know why they'd want their player dropping down a league with regards to his development
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    He should have played with Sailor Brown
    I suppose making him captain would be beneath him.
  • Options
    I reckon Ainsworth will be the next manager of QPR.
  • Options
    When Bowyer left, I'd have taken Ainsworth all day long. In fact, I'd have taken Ainsworth before Bowyer was appointed.

Ridiculously underrated manager; the job he's done at Wycombe is incredible. 
  • Options
    When Bowyer left, I'd have taken Ainsworth all day long. In fact, I'd have taken Ainsworth before Bowyer was appointed.

Ridiculously underrated manager; the job he's done at Wycombe is incredible. 
    The problem isnt the club that approaches Wycombe but Ainsworth himself.

He comes across a lot like Curbs, remember him being linked with this job and another when he was with us but constantly stayed, helped of course that we were in the Premier League...

See Gareth Ainsworth as another one like that, am shocked that QPR have never tried to sign him, given the fact he spent more time there than anywhere else, think he'd be a good fit as well for them as think they probably need a younger approach rather than experienced.

Maybe now he's shown he can do it in the Championship, he'll get more offers.

Perhaps thats a reason for his longevity @ Wycombe
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Ainsworth, his staff and players deserve the utmost respect for putting up such a great fight. As my Wednesday-supporting mate said, if their players had showed the same desire and commitment, they wouldn't be in League 1 next season (although having three managers and a clueless owner probably didn't help either). I believe that Wycombe are likely to be a threat next season.

Looking forward to another visit to the Mad Squirrel Brewery taproom and the excellent away supporters beer marquee just outside the entrance. 
  • Options
    I remember seeing them home and away in the 60s when they played Slough. They were our real rivals. Just goes to show what a well run non league team can become.
    Still can’t like them though 😛