Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"That'll Be Us Next Year" - Possibly.

After the match Nigel was understandably not happy at having to speak over the celebrating Hull players. He rightly acknowledged their moment but was clearly hurting when he stated something along the lines of, 

"That'll be us next year."

Easy to say but he strikes me as too smart to drop that in as a throw away line where he could easily end up with egg on his face; I think he genuinely believes that we have a proper chance  - if the recruitment is right. Didn't a great man in our history once say something similar after losing the 1946 Cup Final?

Since coming in he's brought even the existing squad very, very close; the improvement is there for all to see and now we seem to have put the embarrassing home form to bed. Everything points to a good relationship with Thomas and the early response to season ticket sales has been excellent. Right now I can only feel excited - let's maintain that with early signings who want to be part of something special and perhaps that'll be us next year. 

Comments

• Options
    At the end of the day that squad should at least be in the play offs. If Adkins had another 3/4 games then I think we would’ve been 
    He didn't need another 3 games just pick up 1 more point against 
    Peterborough, crewe or Accrington.
  • Options
    We will get promoted as one of the top two next season.
  • Options
    I’m looking forward to next season under Adkins. He hasn’t shown us any real weaknesses as yet but my guess is that he doesn’t have many. His next big challenge is recruitment and keeping key players. Let’s see how he gets on as this will determine how successful we shall be not just this season coming but the following season as well. With Thomas by his side he will be looking to build a team that will not only gain promotion but that also will do well in the championship.
  • Options
    Has anyone saved that clip by any chance? On the chance we do go up as champions that would be an excellent clip to add to the highlight reel 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    At the end of the day that squad should at least be in the play offs. If Adkins had another 3/4 games then I think we would’ve been 
    Or, on average, if he had replaced Bowyer one game sooner we would be in the playoffs. Difference a real manager makes. 
  • Options
    Hopefully Sunderland will go up from the play offs. The others won't be as much of a threat next season. Portsmouth and Ipswich will be up there and Sheffield Wednesday will probably be favourites. Bolton and Rotherham could be play off contenders. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope the bookies are brave enough to put decent odds on us winning the league next season. After all we are facing the mighty SW, portsmouth, Ipswich etc. I'm hoping they put us at something over 12/1 if they do then imo that's printing money. I know I will get pelters from alot on here but I just cant see us not winning it.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I hope the bookies are brave enough to put decent odds on us winning the league next season. After all we are facing the mighty SW, portsmouth, Ipswich etc. I'm hoping they put us at something over 12/1 if they do then imo that's printing money. I know I will get pelters from alot on here but I just cant see us not winning it.
    9/1 with Skybet
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    9/1 with Skybet
    Cowards lol
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    alicwkd said:
    clb74 said:
    Our record since Adkins took charge is just shy of 2 points per game which is automatic promotion form. Still lots for him to sort out but he's done a good job to even get us close. 
    Seen this “if Adkins had a few more games” thing going around a lot today. The five games prior to Adkins appointment returned 11 points which is about as good as Nigel managed in his 10 games since. The form had already turned prior to his appointment but credit is due for sustaining it.

To have had any material effect on our season, he probably needed to join much earlier. In January perhaps?
  • Options
    Has anyone saved that clip by any chance? On the chance we do go up as champions that would be an excellent clip to add to the highlight reel 
    Or to hang him with when we miss the playoffs again.
  • Options
    First time he's looked angry ol' Nige ref Hull celebrating!
    Overall I'm feeling positive about next year. Everything bar playing staff is strong so get that sorted during the summer and away we go. 

Looking forward to it!
  • Options
    Next year is going to be tough as nails again. Wendys, Ipswich, the 3 non-promoted teams from the playoffs, Pompey and all the other potential banana skins (such as Wimbledon or Accrington) in this league. Good to have positivity from the very top though, unlike this time last season.
  • Options
    Next year is going to be tough as nails again. Wendys, Ipswich, the 3 non-promoted teams from the playoffs, Pompey and all the other potential banana skins (such as Wimbledon or Accrington) in this league. Good to have positivity from the very top though, unlike this time last season.
    To be honest I think we’re basing the assumption that next season will be tough on the history and reputation of some of the clubs in the league, neither of which actually gets you any points. God know what state those clubs are in financially and from a playing perspective. Additionally, if this season is anything to go by, we should welcome better/stronger teams as we seem to do disproportionately better against them than we do against the pub teams that inhabit the lower reaches of the division. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    9/1 with Skybet
    Cowards lol

Do I hear 12/1 for Andy G anywhere, No.
    Surely 10/1 so Andy can turn £100 into a grand. Come on you big betting companies you know Charlton have more injuries than Holby city over a season and more disabled stickers on cars than the local bowls club; you'll be mugging him off. 

Sorry Andy I tried.

9/1 it is. 
  • Options
    Say for arguments sake Lincoln go up, That would leave Wednesday with their size should surley be looking good , Rotherham always there or there abouts and have some very good players at this level and Wycombe who are not to be underestimated. Add to that Sunderland, Blackpool, Oxford, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Doncaster and even Bolton might be a threat , I think even with a large budget leading to a strong recruitment drive, I dont see how anyone can confidently predict us to walk the league. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Adkins looks like he isn't messing about with the excuses book. He is going to go for it and he does have previous. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I felt for Nige Sunday in that after match slot with Scott, he was not only competing with the tannoy system but with that pesky lot Hull daring to celebrate on our pitch, he was having his own "Keegan moment", but I do agree with him in his sentiment about it being us next year, missing out on GD is galling, and with a fair wind and Thomas/Nige in charge I have every confidence for next year, so bring it on..
  • Options
    johnny73 said:
    We will get promoted as one of the top two next season.
    We’ll be so good we’ll skip the Championship and go straight to the Prem!
  • Options
    Of course off the back of new owner with ambition and cash ? Plus a manager who has promotions on his CV we should be expecting to go close but my gut feeling is that our rebuild is going to be over two summers not just this one. Getting things bang on with so many changes likely is going to be very tough. I think promotion is more likely season 22/23 than next. Hope I’m wrong though.
  • Options
    Promotion next season will be no easy ride.
    We'll be pushing against, in no particular order:
    missing just 2 players thru injury at any particular time and the wheels easily come off - just look at the period without Innis or Famewo 
    ten or a dozen players out of contract and the 5 loans is squad revolution not evolution
    established sides like Sunderland and Portsmouth have been splashing about in this shitty puddle for seasons and only just getting close
    For all his enthusiasm TS has no experience in this business, we have no idea how patient he might be in an extended period of disappointing results.
    There's 23 other sides trying to get in our way of reaching the top 2
    The standard of officiating has been bloody awful, we have the harsh experience of this season to prove how critical even just one goal denying/allowing decision can be.
    This season's anti-competitive 'salary cap' might be history but specific wage constraints remain, we can't run before we can walk financially, Wednesday's and Sunderland's budgets will be significantly bigger than ours
    We've still got a douchebag for a landlord and his crippling legacy to overcome
    Expectations need to be managed
    7th was no disaster this season
    It would be slightly disappointing next season but, again, far from disastrous
    I wouldn't entertain anything shorter than 10/1 on automatic promotion