Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Swindon 2010 playoffs

edited May 2021 in General Charlton
This popped up in my Charlton newsnow feed: https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/19308650.look-back-swindon-towns-league-one-play-off-semi-final-charlton-athletic/

I remember being outplayed by them in the first leg and feeling like 2-1 was a good result. We battered them in the 2nd, but just couldnt quite pull away and kill it off with a third goal. We know what happened after that! 

Was gutted at the final whistle of the 2nd leg sitting in the NWQ. Still think we should have won this game, but Im not sure we had enough to beat Millwall in the final.  

It was a much closer semi-final then our next one in the decade thats for sure!

Comments

• Trevor, that game is so clear in my mind it's crazy.
    Famous for the row Z penalty miss from Nicky Bailey which ironically hit a guy who had invited him to sleep with his wife only months before. No not me, my wife is more of a George Clooney fan.

But what I remember is being 2-0 up and we had a break and despite having two men to pass too, and potentially go 3-0 up Bailey found a defender and they broke away and Our Spanish CB gets sent off and they score.  The game was then all square over two legs at 3-3 on aggregate. ET and pens and more heartache. 

I guess it saved us from the ultimate humiliation of losing to our friendly neighbours at Wembley >:)

Described absolutely perfectly. Never forgave Bailey for that piece of stupidity. (Mind you, his penalty didn't help either!)
  • Saw this and thought someone may have found Bailey's penalty ball.
  • First leg was a terrible day out. Outplayed on the pitch and the driver of the coach had an odd fascination for Avatar and played it on the way to the game and the way back. Wasn’t impressed. 

The cricket club next to the ground was decent for drinks beforehand though.
  • I think this was the last game I ever went to with my old man. One of those rare games that make you feel sick as you walk out of the ground. Was my Birthday and we’d planned to go for a curry afterwards. By the time extra time and pens had finished, was too late and didn’t fancy it anyway. The sort of game you’d rather lose 4 0
  • CHGCHG
    edited May 2021
    Despite being 11 years ago, I still don’t think I am over the game at The Valley. 
  • I think this was the last game I ever went to with my old man. One of those rare games that make you feel sick as you walk out of the ground. Was my Birthday and we’d planned to go for a curry afterwards. By the time extra time and pens had finished, was too late and didn’t fancy it anyway. The sort of game you’d rather lose 4 0
    As a Charlton fan? Not that rare at all
  • The last time I saw us lose - and I've been to quite a few games each season since. (I don't count Donny pay off at home as a defeat...)
  • Sponsored links:

Famous for the row Z penalty miss from Nicky Bailey which ironically hit a guy who had invited him to sleep with his wife only months before. No not me, my wife is more of a George Clooney fan.

But what I remember is being 2-0 up and we had a break and despite having two men to pass too, and potentially go 3-0 up Bailey found a defender and they broke away and Our Spanish CB gets sent off and they score.  The game was then all square over two legs at 3-3 on aggregate. ET and pens and more heartache. 

I guess it saved us from the ultimate humiliation of losing to our friendly neighbours at Wembley >:)

A Wembley final against the spanners would have been a very painful experience one way or another.
    Getting beat, getting beaten up, severely outnumbered.
    Our chum @oohaahmortimer would not have enjoyed the day for sure!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Saw this and thought someone may have found Bailey's penalty ball.
    It's still travelling skywards.

As mentioned, this is spot on. I was screaming for Bailey to play it out wide to Kyle Reid. Shocking. 
  • Seem to remember a Frazer Richardson rocket hitting post that would’ve made it 3-0. We were playing so well - which I hadn’t expected as we hadn’t been playing that great in general, but didn’t think we’d blow it when we started playing like that
  • edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nah! Way beyond that. It's just passed Voyager 1.
  • Stefco said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Nah! Way beyond that. It's just passed Voyager 1.
    Actually, on the (generous) assumption Bailey kicked the ball at 80mph and also (wrongly) assuming the ball maintained that speed as it burst out of the atmosphere and continued into space, the ball has travelled for 4031 days, or 96,744 hours at that speed, so it will have travelled 7,739,520 miles, which is about a fifth of the way to Mars.

You’re welcome. 🤓
  • Still of the view if Racon had done the decent thing, and taken the yellow when they broke for the second, we would have won the first leg.

saying that Steve Morison had Christian Daily on toast that season, and he would have done so again at Wembley
  • I was in Brighton for a conference and had to get the train for the game. I remember thinking as it went to pens that I was in danger of missing the last train back from London Bridge, but just made it.
    The only saving grace was avoiding a Millwall defeat at Wembley.
  • It was a funny tie over the two legs. We were outplayed at Swindon and managed to sneak a goal we didn’t really deserve to escape with a 2-1 loss. In the return, we played really well until Llera got himself sent off for a poor challenge. From there, it went from bad to worse.
  • My overriding memory is of a ball across the six yard box and a sliding Deon Burton just failing to connect at the far post.  That’s when I knew it wasn’t our night.  Blessing in the disguise as others have said because Wembley would have been awful 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Lap of the Gods - Would have feared the worst if we played Scum in 2010.Just would not of been a good day out and to have lost- well we all know the script.Fast forward to 2019 and and as I say Lap of the Gods and a day out none of us will ever forget
  • CatAddick said:
    My overriding memory is of a ball across the six yard box and a sliding Deon Burton just failing to connect at the far post.  That’s when I knew it wasn’t our night.  Blessing in the disguise as others have said because Wembley would have been awful 
    Or Deon turning inside the box and hitting a shot that seemed to take an age to hit the post with their keeper totally helpless. So many chances wasted.
  • It was my last game at The Valley before emigrating Down Under. 
  • All I can really remember is the penalty miss embarking on it's journey to the outer reaches of the universe mixed with vague and extremely unpleasant memories of the sight of Charlie Austin's perpetually smug face.
  • That season was pretty miserable full stop. The absolute battering we took at the toolbox the lowlight. Jonjo wasn't played anywhere near as much as he should have been, Drawing with the scum at home in admittedly a barnstormer of a game wasn't fun either 

The first leg v Swindon was a poxy day with players seemingly unaware of who they were meant to pass to and fans arguing among themselves then us not ending the tie at home, had so many chances and then for our main man and captain to sky the penalty just summed it up
  • vffvff
    edited May 2021
    Nicky Bailey always went for the Hollywood ball - preferring a looping crossfield ball to a simpler effective pass. He could have tried to score a simpler penalty but that wasn’t his way. 

I remember blaming Parkinson for the set up of the team - & his use of Llera over the 2 games. Parkinson, a decent man but a limited manager playing with a limited squad on limited resources. 

Llera scored some good goals, & was a decent character - he was very slow, with a turning speed of a barge. I remember Llera carrying an injury as well & that didn’t help with the sending off. 
  • In a way, I was glad we didn't go through, can you imagine getting turned over by the spanners in their cup final at Wembley.
    Absolutely this. Would not have been an enjoyable day with 40k of the fuckers in and around Wembley.
  • I went to Andrew baldings racing stables a couple of years ago and I remember him telling me that before the Swindon away leg, Parky took the whole team there on the way down and got the team doing basic stable jobs like mucking out etc just to relax them before the game