Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football mysteries

No Googling ... just pure, mindless speculation, please.

Let's have some fun regarding things that we have accepted since birth, and yet which are not immediately obvious to most of us.

1) Why is there a six-yard box?

2) Why 45 minutes each way?

3) Why eleven-a-side?

4) Why do we throw the ball back if it goes out of play at the sides ... but kick it if it goes out of play at the ends?

There may be others.

Comments

• Why not?
  • I never understood why there was a semi-circle at the edge of the area until someone told me it was so that all players remained 10-yards (?) from the ball when a penalty is being taken.
  • I never understood why there was a semi-circle at the edge of the area until someone told me it was so that all players remained 10-yards (?) from the ball when a penalty is being taken.
    You didn't know what it was for until someone told you what it was for? Just like everyone else.
    Correct.

It is also the area for which I was defensively responsible during the latter stages of my playing career.  Come into the 'D' and you are mine.
  • Did Cory Gibbs really exist?
  • You can by a football club for a pound and ride the donkey till its dead and then Swan off into the sunset.
  • edited May 2021
    Six yard box is to stop keepers pumping the goal kicks straight into the opponent's penalty box. Though why not a six yard strip along each end of the pitch I don't know.

Edit - I guess goal kicks aren't taken from behind the goal line to save space on run ups.
  • 6 yard box is so the keeper takes a goal kick in the right place surely?  Why that's 6 yards though, no idea.

• If you want football mysteries. Steve Bruce is your man. 
  • edited May 2021

• Sponsored links:

• Some distant memory that one purpose of the 6 yard box was to allow less physical contact on the goalkeeper within that part of the penalty area than in the rest of it
  • Stig said:
    Six yard box is to stop keepers pumping the goal kicks straight into the opponent's penalty box. Though why not a six yard strip along each end of the pitch I don't know.

Edit - I guess goal kicks aren't taken from behind the goal line to save space on run ups.

6 yard box is so the keeper takes a goal kick in the right place surely?  Why that's 6 yards though, no idea.

I happen to know this one (unlike the other questions posed) and, while both your efforts have merit ... sadly they are wrong.

I'll save the big reveal for a while, though, just to see what else is proposed.
  • Some distant memory that one purpose of the 6 yard box was to allow less physical contact on the goalkeeper within that part of the penalty area than in the rest of it
    Oh well.  That didn't last long.

Perfectly correct.  You are allowed to charge the goalkeeper if he has the temerity to leave his goal area.

Simpler times.

• If you want football mysteries. Steve Bruce is your man. 
    Fire up the XJ8!

Biggest mystery is whether he wrote them or just got paid to put his name to them.
  • edited May 2021

If you want football mysteries. Steve Bruce is your man. 
    Fire up the XJ8!

Biggest mystery is whether he wrote them or just got paid to put his name to them.
    Are they written in a Geordie accent?

"How, man!  Ah think he's deed."

On a similar note, how come people don't sing in regional accents?

A Geordie singing songs by Morrissey ... now there's a thing.

"Tak me oot, the neet.  Tak me anywhere, man.  Ah divvent care."
  • edited May 2021
    I hope not, I found reading Sexist Sid or is it Sid the Sexist in Viz very hard work.
  • edited May 2021
    I never understood why there was a semi-circle at the edge of the area until someone told me it was so that all players remained 10-yards (?) from the ball when a penalty is being taken.

I know the original 6 yard box was actually two semi-circles of 6 yards radius with the circle centre at each goalpost - looked like a pair of tits! The keeper had to take a goal kick within 6 yards of the post nearest to where the ball went out.

There's quite a few other uses but I can't remember them apart from vaguely recalling from my refs course that an indirect free kick awarded to the attacking side can't be taken within the six yard box even if the offence took place inside the goal area.
  • The biggest mystery of all: Why of all the clubs in all the world did I make myself miserable by supporting Charlton?!
  • iaitch said:
    They could do with bringing back the rule that the goal kick is taken from the side it went out.

They changed it to apparently speed up the game but most teams use it as a delaying/time wasting tactic.
    I think their change was good in theory, but as you say never worked in practice. Don't know why they don't make it the ref's decision and the ref just points to the side nearest to where the ball happens to land or get picked up.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 6yd box is so any infringement on the goal line, is moved so the player taking the free kick can have a run up and not a punt. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    I never understood why there was a semi-circle at the edge of the area until someone told me it was so that all players remained 10-yards (?) from the ball when a penalty is being taken.
    Correct.

It is also the area for which I was defensively responsible during the latter stages of my playing career.  Come into the 'D' and you are mine.
    Pure filth
  • How did All of the officials miss Maradonas "hand of God" ? 
    ?
    ?
    That was one of the other purposes - the keeper was safe from being barged if he was in the goal area.
  • bobmunro said:
    Some distant memory that one purpose of the 6 yard box was to allow less physical contact on the goalkeeper within that part of the penalty area than in the rest of it
    ?
    That was one of the other purposes - the keeper was safe from being barged if he was in the goal area.
    I wish I'd said that.

Dave Rudd said:
    Some distant memory that one purpose of the 6 yard box was to allow less physical contact on the goalkeeper within that part of the penalty area than in the rest of it
    Oh well.  That didn't last long.

Perfectly correct.  You are allowed to charge the goalkeeper if he has the temerity to leave his goal area.

Simpler times.

• throw ins are presumable a throwback to the days when rugby and football were splitting into separate games
  • edited May 2021
    rina said:
    throw ins are presumable a throwback to the days when rugby and football were splitting into separate games
    Yes, good answer.

There were different sets of rules/laws back at that time and, initially both throws and kicks were allowed.

Interestingly, whenever the ball went out of play along the touchline, the throw was awarded to whichever team got to the ball first.

This is why we use the term 'touchline'.