Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reorganisation of railways (NSFW)

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Hopefully one day it will be cheaper to get a train from London to Cornwall than to fly from London to Marrakech.
    June 22nd fares are     Paddington to Penzance         £70.90   
                                       BA Heathrow to Marrakech     £118.00 

Rail fare could be cheaper but doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    Remember, it takes 5 and a half hours by train from Paddington to Penzance.

Quicker to fly from London to Marrakech. Bargain! :smile:

But you've booked a cottage in Cornwall!!
    Not me. I bleddy live there, me 'ansum!

• Options

You can buy better Cornish paasties in Penzance, though.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hopefully one day it will be cheaper to get a train from London to Cornwall than to fly from London to Marrakech.

Look to see how much it costs tomorrow.  It'll be a lot more I imagine.

**edit 
    Just looked, £150
  • Options
    The biggest con trick that's ever been pulled on people is privatisation of the railways to increase 'competition'. What are we going to do - take the track next to it that starts and arrives at the same place?

It was an absolute disgrace from start to finish - irrespective of your political persuasion. 
    Well basically I agree with you, been slagging the UK version off since it happened. But certainly in Europe it can work. The big State operator might be blind to new markets (i.e new routes). Last year the Czech private operator RegioJet had a brilliant success with a night sleeper service to Rijeka on the Croatian coast. 500+ capacity, rammed solid. Lo and behold, this year both the Czech and Austrian state operators are trying to grab a bit of the action. But it took RegioJet to spot the market opportunity. The whole night sleeper thing is taking off again, led by the Austrian state operator to be fair to them, but now you've got some private guys out of Amsterdam looking to start up, with their first service connecting Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam and Brussels. And for years when Deutsche Bahn ran a sleeper from Cologne to Prague, I was using it, but silently screaming, send it on to Brussels, there's a market there. But instead DB decided they wouldn't do any more sleepers, period. I cursed them. But thanks to the private operator I'll be able to do Ebbsfleet-Prague with one easy change in Brussels. Whether that sort of potential exists in the UK is less obvious, there was Hull Trains, who I think went bankrupt.

But then the real competition is with the car and the plane, and for the railways to smash the competition you need increased speed, and that means infrastructure like HS2 and only the State can do that.
  • Options
    I thought it was supposed to be Communism.
  • Options
    The bit I'm always in is how they brand it, see there keeping the double arrows and Rail Alphabet font, but always interested in what the trains will look like, the uniforms etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The biggest con trick that's ever been pulled on people is privatisation of the railways to increase 'competition'. What are we going to do - take the track next to it that starts and arrives at the same place?

It was an absolute disgrace from start to finish - irrespective of your political persuasion. 
    It was never about competition, it was idealogical.  Thatcher had sold off anything of value that stayed still long enough, Major was left with the dregs but still wanted to make his mark.
  • Options

Is this an admission that the current  system is crap. On the continent train fares are more reasonable. 
    I don't believe the comparisons between air fares and train fares are typically fair.

Off-peak savers offer an hourly service and you turn up whenever you like and get on any train - even if it's "full". (Off-peak of course!).

Airlines rarely offer that sort of deal unless you pay hundreds of pounds.

When you compare "advanced against advanced" I don't think there's usually that much difference. 

• Options
    A quick google search.

2015, the telegraph:
    11 Aug 2015 — Labour's desire to renationalise railways would fail passengers.

2017, the telegraph:

1 Jun 2017 — The case for renationalising the railways proposed by the Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn does not "stack up "

Today:

Telegraph: “Flexible season tickets will be formally unveiled as Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, lays the groundwork for a series of radical changes on Thursday”

• Options
    edited May 2021

Sample LNER advance fares advertised today

Standard Class Sat, 10 Jul 2021 From £35.00 

LONDON TO EDINBURGH

Standard Class Sat, 10 Jul 2021From £17.90 

HARROGATE TO LONDON

Standard Class Mon, 12 Jul 2021 From £18.50 

EDINBURGH TO LONDON

Standard Class Sat, 10 Jul 2021 From £35.00 

https://www.lner.co.uk/
  • Options
    Southeastern are introducing flexi season tickets from 21st June.
  • Options
    @randy andy one thing I would disagree with in your otherwise sound post, is that (we) air travellers are benefitting from a global scam,namely the fact that kerosene isnt taxed. That has to be fixed and fast, but the trouble is no one country can go it alone. 
    Personally I would whack a carbon tax on air travel too.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    it will end in tears, the tears of travellers, as private companies will still be running the services and taking large fees to do so, with the majority being foreign owned. The new GBR willl be Network Rail under a new name with a few extra responsibilities with the same people who have messed the system up over previous years.
    Bring back full nationalisation b ut in a modern manner
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Never forget that while she hated trains, it wasnt Thatcher that sold them off. Presumably she realised it was a can of worms. But then again...water...
    It was on her agenda.

Thatcher never got round to privatising the railway because beforehand, she got stabbed in the back by her own party.

• Options

The original bus privatisation made me laugh, little fly-by-night operators with minibuses trying to get to every bus stop a minute before the scheduled bus was due to turn up. You only had to watch the first five minutes of that particular wheeze to know it was never sustainable.
  • Options

Well basically I agree with you, been slagging the UK version off since it happened. But certainly in Europe it can work. The big State operator might be blind to new markets (i.e new routes). Last year the Czech private operator RegioJet had a brilliant success with a night sleeper service to Rijeka on the Croatian coast. 500+ capacity, rammed solid. Lo and behold, this year both the Czech and Austrian state operators are trying to grab a bit of the action. But it took RegioJet to spot the market opportunity. The whole night sleeper thing is taking off again, led by the Austrian state operator to be fair to them, but now you've got some private guys out of Amsterdam looking to start up, with their first service connecting Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam and Brussels. And for years when Deutsche Bahn ran a sleeper from Cologne to Prague, I was using it, but silently screaming, send it on to Brussels, there's a market there. But instead DB decided they wouldn't do any more sleepers, period. I cursed them. But thanks to the private operator I'll be able to do Ebbsfleet-Prague with one easy change in Brussels. Whether that sort of potential exists in the UK is less obvious, there was Hull Trains, who I think went bankrupt.

But then the real competition is with the car and the plane, and for the railways to smash the competition you need increased speed, and that means infrastructure like HS2 and only the State can do that.
    Speed is certainly one element
    But I think you'll find that passengers are also looking at:
    Price
    Comfort 
    Ease of connections
    Food & drink
    Connectivity as in Wifi

In today's world many of us might choose to spend travel time on here, watching Netflix or skimming the news and social media, as well as the odd call or even video call

And many of us find long drives unattractive. One thing lockdown and working from home has shown us is that time, comfort and quality of life are fairly important to help one both relax and think straight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @seriously_red sure, but speed is what causes “modal shift” from air to rail. The TGVs have wiped out whole airlines in France, such as Air Inter. Eurostar has seriously eroded the air travel from London to Paris and Brussels, etc. The other things you list are important but not game changing.
  • Options
    @seriously_red sure, but speed is what causes “modal shift” from air to rail. The TGVs have wiped out whole airlines in France, such as Air Inter. Eurostar has seriously eroded the air travel from London to Paris and Brussels, etc. The other things you list are important but not game changing.
    Domestic flights within England are a fraction of what they used to be (aided by air passenger duty) and the improvement in rail services. Token flights operate from London to the likes of Manchester or Newcastle that only really exist for connection passengers, while several regional airports have closed down and FlyBe went broke.

For all the failings of privatisation, passenger numbers have gone up massively, basically doubling , and this has been across all types of journey, so you can't say the policy was a complete failure.

Is this an admission that the current  system is crap. On the continent train fares are more reasonable. 
    I don't believe the comparisons between air fares and train fares are typically fair.

Off-peak savers offer an hourly service and you turn up whenever you like and get on any train - even if it's "full". (Off-peak of course!).

Airlines rarely offer that sort of deal unless you pay hundreds of pounds.

When you compare "advanced against advanced" I don't think there's usually that much difference. 

Agreed. It's unfair to compare the Easyjet/Ryanair ticket bought months in advance with a walk on rail fare. 
  • Options
    @killerandflash
    It always makes me laugh when i hear the passenger growth numbers trotted out, usually by Tories with no real business experience, to justify privatisation. I dont include you in that lot, but before assuming this as proof, you need to consider the huge population increase since the mid 90s. We need to know whether rail has significantly increased share of long distance journeys vs air, car, and coach in that time. The Ministry certainly has the data, but I have never seen them published, let alone brandished in triumph, which makes me suspect the share hasnt increased that much. And even if it has, how much was positive choice? I mean the motorways seem choked all the time now. Cause and effect...
  • Options
    @killerandflash
    It always makes me laugh when i hear the passenger growth numbers trotted out, usually by Tories with no real business experience, to justify privatisation. I dont include you in that lot, but before assuming this as proof, you need to consider the huge population increase since the mid 90s. We need to know whether rail has significantly increased share of long distance journeys vs air, car, and coach in that time. The Ministry certainly has the data, but I have never seen them published, let alone brandished in triumph, which makes me suspect the share hasnt increased that much. And even if it has, how much was positive choice? I mean the motorways seem choked all the time now. Cause and effect...
    Well the UK population hasn't doubled during that period. And while the number don't justify privatisation, it's equally a nonsense to also say that it's been a complete failure, when bums on seats is a tried and tested method of judging success, whether in transport, leisure activities, religion or football clubs...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/761352/rail-factsheet-2018.pdf
  • Options
    jams said:
    Cheers, yes that would be the data. Unfortunately the download doesnt  seem to open on this little iPad but I will take a look on the Mac tomorrow. I hope the data goes back far enough. 
  • Options
    Well, its a step in the right direction. 
    However as yet I’m not really seeing an answer to the big headache of the private railway which nobody has so far addressed. 
    Privatisation makes sense if it encourages competition, which benefits customers. How’s your choice of water supplier working out?
    The UK system split the railway up into 20+ private monopolies. Now, I can certainly see that you can introduce competition on long distance routes, so long as you have a body that controls the timetables and fares, which GBR would do. So lets say you have two operators running high speed London- Manchester. You might be the sort that chooses one operator for the free coffee. But others just want to know that every half hour, on the same minute, there’s a train on that route. GBR would organise that. But will it be of interest to private operators compared to the old monopoly that Virgin enjoyed for years? Not sure. I am sure that you cant do this anyway on the commuter services. Better to hand it all to TfL, effectively the return of Network South East. But then it is all State owned, so where’s the pressure to deliver? Dunno.
    Across Europe they run the Open Access system on these routes, which works better, but private operators say it is still unfair because they go up against a strong State operator such as Deutsche Bahn. Fact is though that you could get from Brussels to Prague for €29, — albeit you need the Man in Seat 61 to guide you through buying the tickets. So we aint got it sorted either. 
    Never forget that while she hated trains, it wasnt Thatcher that sold them off. Presumably she realised it was a can of worms. But then again...water...
    Water is due to be opened up to competition for households over the coming years, it has already happened for business and i’d argue the margins are so small that unless you’re a huge nationwide company like Tesco and would benefit from consolidating all your retail element over the country into one supplier, then there is very little benefit to be gained. And I think it will be the same for households, but where you might be able to realise benefit for non-financial reasons.

I’d argue your average measured water bill of approx £1-2 a day is astonishing value compared to most other services. And most measured customers could do a lot to bring their own costs down. 
  • Options
    @killerandflash
    Well the UK population hasn't doubled during that period. And while the number don't justify privatisation, it's equally a nonsense to also say that it's been a complete failure, when bums on seats is a tried and tested method of judging success, whether in transport, leisure activities, religion or football clubs...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/761352/rail-factsheet-2018.pdf
    Thanks for that link. As a marketing professional, I have to say that your last point wouldnt last five seconds in a review of the performance of businesses under the marketeer’s care. It certainly looks that more recently, rail is gaining share. But then you have to prove that this happened *because of* privatisation. Its telling that the document refers to Germany, where the State has essentially retained control, and invested heavily in the high speed infrastructure. The UK could have taken that path too but did not. What would the figures have been, had the UK govt from mid 80s been committed to rail as Germany was? For a start you’d have had that APT running at 140mph and keeping British factories busy long before Branson came along and started importing Pendolinos. We will never know. But no, “bums on seats” just doesnt cut it. 
  • Options
    However as yet I’m not really seeing an answer to the big headache of the private railway which nobody has so far addressed. 
    Privatisation makes sense if it encourages competition, which benefits customers. How’s your choice of water supplier working out?
    The UK system split the railway up into 20+ private monopolies. Now, I can certainly see that you can introduce competition on long distance routes, so long as you have a body that controls the timetables and fares, which GBR would do. So lets say you have two operators running high speed London- Manchester. You might be the sort that chooses one operator for the free coffee. But others just want to know that every half hour, on the same minute, there’s a train on that route. GBR would organise that. But will it be of interest to private operators compared to the old monopoly that Virgin enjoyed for years? Not sure. I am sure that you cant do this anyway on the commuter services. Better to hand it all to TfL, effectively the return of Network South East. But then it is all State owned, so where’s the pressure to deliver? Dunno.
    Across Europe they run the Open Access system on these routes, which works better, but private operators say it is still unfair because they go up against a strong State operator such as Deutsche Bahn. Fact is though that you could get from Brussels to Prague for €29, — albeit you need the Man in Seat 61 to guide you through buying the tickets. So we aint got it sorted either. 
    Water is due to be opened up to competition for households over the coming years, it has already happened for business and i’d argue the margins are so small that unless you’re a huge nationwide company like Tesco and would benefit from consolidating all your retail element over the country into one supplier, then there is very little benefit to be gained. And I think it will be the same for households, but where you might be able to realise benefit for non-financial reasons.

I’d argue your average measured water bill of approx £1-2 a day is astonishing value compared to most other services. And most measured customers could do a lot to bring their own costs down. 
    Well, while it's diverting from the topic a little, I'm really interested in this. Can you tell me more about exactly what the nature of the competition is here?
    There's the reservoir. There are the pipes from the reservoir, which I presume are owned by Thames Water for many Lifers. The pipes go down your street and into your house. The water coms out of your tap. You pay Thames Water. They say thank you and shove your prices up next year in gratitude. So how exactly will a "competitor" be inserted into that flow? Not having a dig at you mate, by all means just send me a link to something about it; I'm really surprised I haven't picked this up before, as the water privatisation does my head in, and it's all over Europe thanks to the Brits pushing it in the early 90s. 
  • Options

Well, while it's diverting from the topic a little, I'm really interested in this. Can you tell me more about exactly what the nature of the competition is here?
    There's the reservoir. There are the pipes from the reservoir, which I presume are owned by Thames Water for many Lifers. The pipes go down your street and into your house. The water coms out of your tap. You pay Thames Water. They say thank you and shove your prices up next year in gratitude. So how exactly will a "competitor" be inserted into that flow? Not having a dig at you mate, by all means just send me a link to something about it; I'm really surprised I haven't picked this up before, as the water privatisation does my head in, and it's all over Europe thanks to the Brits pushing it in the early 90s. 
    https://www.waterindustryjournal.co.uk/competition-good-customers