Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perfect Moments In Pop Songs

2»

Comments

• Options
    The starting drums and guitar of Inbetween Days from The Cure. 
  • Options
    I love intros that let you recognize a song instantly:
    The bass intro to “Papa was a Rolling Stone” by The Temptations.
    The drum and base intro to “Super Freak” by Rick James.
  • Options

Me too - the Stones (the greatest band that ever lived of course!) have quite a few:

Honky Tonk Women (already mentioned)
    Jumpin Jack Flash
    Start Me Up
    Midnight Rambler
    Brown Sugar

and many more!
  • Options
    This is a really good thread 

The drum roll before the final chorus of Dont look back in anger 

The opening bars of my number by foals 

Same for either way by the twang 

Whover said the part of enter sandman was spot on after the gentle dun den dun der dun then the drums and angrier guitar kicking in 

The first 15 seconds of you shook me all night long 

Noel Gallaghers little "just tek me watch off" before talk tonight 

The opening beats of sometimes by gerry cinnamon 

The first 30 seconds of fucking in the bushes 

Didos sampled and squashed vocals in Stan 

The gaspy hushes ah-ha-ah-ha on Billie Jean not to mention the beat

On Ashs debut album the extra material about 10 minutes after the end of the final track 

The twangy high wandering note on whatever string instrument is used at the very start of John Denvers Country Roads 

The first 20 seconds of welcome to the jungle 

First line of Gertcha "Naaa there's a word that I don't understaaaand, I hear it every day off my old maaaan"

Daves opening ditty at the start of sideboard song 

"Fucking croissant" at the start of Jamie T's first album 

Plan B properly spitting the last part of no more eatin from his first album. "No more eatin, no more eatin for you now blaaaad" 

The opening of cant stand me now by the libertines

Same for you overdid it doll by Courteeners 

The slight stutter before the chorus on Blood by Editors 

The opening of fortunate son by CCR 

Opening of heard it through the grapevine although I'm meandering into favourite riffs now. Same for let's get it on 

The little cough at the start of wonderwall and then when the bassy cello or violin kicks in 

They are essentially the same but I prefer the "aaaah haaaa" before the guitar kicks in for cigarettes and alcohol to T Rex using the original riff for get it on

Possibly an unpopular choice but the drums in coming in the air do nothing for me, I appreciate the song as much as I appreciate anything Phil Collins farts out but I guess how excited people have gotten over that drumming I'm just not as fussed 

Chips and drinks in fit but you know it 

"Eurgh that tastes like hairspray" in blinded by the lights 

"The town bishops an extortionate, and he don't even know that you exist, stand still when its do or die, you better run for your fuckin liiiiife, its not over till you're underground" from letterbomb by greenday i love how Billy Joe Armstrong songs and projects some lyrics from a combination of chest and stomach which he doesn't do here but I just love the flow of this one 

The wind instruments at the start of what the world needs now by bacharach 

Whilst they are silly and kitch and complete mayhem live and not much of an experience live Goldie Lookin Chain have some brilliant and weird beats 
  • Options
    The stylophone on 'Space Odyssey'
    The very first chord of 'A Hard Day's Night'
    Also th opening guitar sustain on 'I Feel Fine'
    The pause in Steve Harley's 'Come Up And See Me'
    'In The Air Tonight' the famous drum bit.

NB Lindisfarne's Ray Jackson was never credited for playing the mandolin on Maggie May. Got a £15 session musician fee and that's it.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The cowbell intro to Honky Tonk Women
    Another Stones one........

The sax/trumpet after the choir part near the start of "You cant always get what you want". Sounds so melancholy.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Jools Holland’s piano solo just before the ‘two fat ladies windowshop’ verse of Squeezes Pulling Mussels.

Guitar intro to Buddy Hollys Brown Eyed Handsome Man.
    The drums that lead into the final ‘I was born with a plastic spoon’ verse in The Who’s Substitute.

• Options
    Like A Rolling Stone - opening drumbeats.
  • Options
    The sound of thunder and rain with simple drum beat before the opening riff of Raining Blood by Slayer.

The trumpet solo before Gorilla Biscuits’ Start Today kicks in.

The bass riff at the start of Fugazi’s Waiting Room
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So ladies and gentlemen, I offer you this...a week or so ago I jumped in the car, I was off on a mission (ok, it was to Sainsbury’s but recently that’s been as as good as it gets with not much else going on) and pressed the star button firing up the engine and electronic s and out from the radio (its tuned into Atlantis radio, 60s music) came the opening bars of green onion by Booker T and the MGs...

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Me too - the Stones (the greatest band that ever lived of course!) have quite a few:

Jumpin Jack Flash
    Start Me Up
    Midnight Rambler
    Brown Sugar

and many more!
    All brilliant intros Bob, but for me Gimme Shelter tops the lot. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    bobmunro said:

Jumpin Jack Flash
    Start Me Up
    Midnight Rambler
    Brown Sugar

and many more!
    All brilliant intros Bob, but for me Gimme Shelter tops the lot. 

No arguments from me - one of the best Stones intros - and also their best ever track.

Let it Bleed is one of my favourite Stones albums and Monkey Man has a pretty good into too!
  • Options
    Opening riffs: 

Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama

Harry Nilsson - Without You .... and the fade out at the end of Everybody's Talking

In song: Agnetha and Frida hitting the chorus (perfect harmony) and Benny's piano zip in Chiquitita

• Options
    Booker T, the opening bars of Soul Limbo - it's just so cricket.
    The Fall, MES calling last orders before Rowche Rumble - it's just so northern working mans club.
    The The, the xylimba intro to Uncertain Smile and from the same song the line 'street lamps throw orange scalloped shapes through your windows' which always takes me back to my childhood bedroom (the lyrics, I never had a xylimba).