Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Valley Express 21/22 season (Ed. Price reduced)

Comments

• Options
    Those prices will encourage no one to come on a match by match basis. Even for Tier 3 a season pass works out at reasonable value. As my wife is returning this season we were going to drive up but hearing about this new charge is making us have a rethink. Also with the coach at least you know you have a parking place too and on the Hastings service everyone is friendly and it’s a nice atmosphere. If we got on at Bexhill though (six miles away) it takes about 45 minutes for the coach to reach Battle (also six miles away) but parking at Battle is a problem but I don’t really want to spend an extra hour and a half on the coach when I don’t need to.
  • Options
    Ross said:
    However, for me, it would now benefit me to go via Valley Express due to the ULEZ expanding to Charlton. So my £10 fuel cost would now be £10 fuel plus £12.50 for ULEZ, so £22.50, compared to £15 on the Valley Express.

Obviously, for a family travelling in one car it would still be cheaper for them than one individual person compared to paying for 4 Valley Express tickets.
    I think the risk is that less committed people we need to fill seats look at the fare and decide not to attend at all because it's too expensive. I wouldn't dream of paying £32 for two of us to travel to The Valley from the coast on a coach.
    Buy a season pass then just over £9 a match instead of £16.
    As above, the issue isn't people who are committed to attending every match. It never was. In fact, it makes no sense for the club to provide coaches if everyone who uses them would otherwise turn up under their own steam. The whole point of it is to attract additional fans, who are unlikely to start by committing to a whole season.
    Because of the coach service my wife and kids will join me (an ST holder) onna good few occasions this season...each one will include 3 extra match tickets, club shop spend and kiosk spend probably.

Plus I can justify to them and myself getting an ST in the first place as coach means I can leave home later etc. 

I completely get what you are saying but there is hopefully a balance somewhere that means they will continue to run these coaches for the foreseeable as they provide an excellent service.

Out of interest what is the cost of hiring a coach?
    We used to pay about £400 ten years ago, sometimes less, depending on the provider.

There is a balance but it requires the club to see beyond the simple equation between fares and hire charges, which is exactly the point you have just made re extra ticket sales (retail and refreshments are worth very little relatively speaking because of cost of sale).

I had this argument multiple times when I was working there with people who just couldn't understand that if there was no coach there was no ticket revenue either and the latter has virtually no marginal cost. The board understood it, fortunately.
    It is worrying that there are/were (I presume) that couldn't grasp this concept. Argue about the figures perhaps but not the concept.

Also worrying that this may indicate a tightening of the corporate belt and although efficiency and prudence is commendable, cutting budgets that reduce income is counter productive and suggests poor management, little funds or both. 
  • Options
    Just looked up this new congestion charge from October, so my four year old eco boost focus fails the limits & I’ll have to pay £12.50 to enter.  Add this to a ticket price & it’s just making a day at the footie even more expensive!  I can see a lot of people not bothering!   Same to visit the 02 on top of ridiculous parking charges or even to visit Greenwich Park!  
  • Options
    Just looked up this new congestion charge from October, so my four year old eco boost focus fails the limits & I’ll have to pay £12.50 to enter.  Add this to a ticket price & it’s just making a day at the footie even more expensive!  I can see a lot of people not bothering!   Same to visit the 02 on top of ridiculous parking charges or even to visit Greenwich Park!  
    True.
  • Options
    I'm surprised a 4 year old petrol car would need to pay the ULEZ charge.
    I presume you're certain as I find the site to check to be less than clear.
  • Options
    Yeah unfortunately think that this coming season will be my last as a ST Holder for this reason.

I might not have renewed had I remembered that the ULEZ was going to be effective from October
  • Options
    my 05 Peugeot 206 doesn't have to pay it, i would have thought it would...
  • Options
    Yeah unfortunately think that this coming season will be my last as a ST Holder for this reason.

I might not have renewed had I remembered that the ULEZ was going to be effective from October
    Change your car?
    I did.
  • Options
    What is ridiculous is that now my grandad is unable to use Valley Express as his route has been removed. He lives in Orpington (I live in Broadstairs) and the only way he can get to the game really is by coach as he cannot walk far. The cost of using a car is too much, even without the ULEZ charge. 

I have no idea what to do now but they have made this significantly harder when they had no reason to. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ULEZ notwithstanding I fear the general traffic chaos on the lower road is going to be a thorn in the side for many this year. 

An ill designed  traffic scheme by TFL (?) that makes Saturday shopping on non match days a mess is a recipe for frustration and delays if fans return in any meaningful numbers. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    The page isn't very clear. I thought at first it was telling me I had to pay it, but it turns out it was saying I'd have to pay the congestion charge if I entered that designated area (which I knew already). I don't think most people will be affected by the ULEZ and if they are that's kind of the point of it.
  • Options
    The page isn't very clear. I thought at first it was telling me I had to pay it, but it turns out it was saying I'd have to pay the congestion charge if I entered that designated area (which I knew already). I don't think most people will be affected by the ULEZ and if they are that's kind of the point of it.
    Thanks for that.  Just checked again and found the same as you did!  Went on a different site …. ULEZ checker & am indeed exempt!  Phew! 
  • Options
    Who is buying a pass on here?.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Thanks for that.  Just checked again and found the same as you did!  Went on a different site …. ULEZ checker & am indeed exempt!  Phew! 
    I am confused.  TFL site states I have to pay the charge for my car, but that site states ‘This vehicle is ULEZ compliant’ ???

Update ... it’s ok, just seen airman’s message 
  • Options
    Who is buying a pass on here?.

Bought mine yesterday.  Just trying to source a tartan blanket and thermos now and I'm sorted.
  • Options
    I'm surprised a 4 year old petrol car would need to pay the ULEZ charge.
    I presume you're certain as I find the site to check to be less than clear.
    I questioned yesterday whether you had checked correctly, as that site is very unclear.
  • Options
    Just checked the car I would take to Charlton  a 2015 model & its ok.   I am not aware of the area that is affected though by this tax.
  • Options
    What a relief! I had thought I would have to stop parking in the same place I have been parking for 46 years. It's all those memories of walking the same route with my mum and dad that I thought would fade if I had to come by train. Thanks for the links!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just checked the car I would take to Charlton  a 2015 model & its ok.   I am not aware of the area that is affected though by this tax.
    Insde South and North Circular Roads.

• Options
    Bought a ticket for the Valley Express for the first match. Anyone know what time the pick up is at Ramsgate for the 5:30 p.m. start? Ticket did not say.
  • Options
    Bought a ticket for the Valley Express for the first match. Anyone know what time the pick up is at Ramsgate for the 5:30 p.m. start? Ticket did not say.
    Usually you just add the time difference in kickoff time to the pickup time, so in theory it should depart at 2.25pm from Ramsgate for that game. 
    I do agree that it needs to be publicised though properly for all stops.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    16-9-PICK-UP-POINTS---5

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/610c6cb00f41d/valley-express-timings-for-saturdays-530pm-kick-off
  • Options
    Just to be clear on ULEZ. if you petrol car was registered after 1st Jan 2006 it legally must have the type of engine which means no ULEZ charge. Pre-2006 there is still a good chance. The govt website to check is very very poor UX and almost everyone I have spoken to gets flummoxed by the congestion charge being listed when they were directed to check for ULEZ. 
  • Options
    Drove up yesterday from Bexhill but would be interested to hear from anyone using the Hailsham, Bexhill, Hastings route how it went yesterday. Maybe @PemburyAddick? Did they use the new coach company or was it still the Rambler Service? On the way up I was surprised to see a few people at Hurst Green awaiting the coach well past the time I would have usually expected them to have been picked up. Were there any problems? Asking in case we want to use it soon.
  • Options
    I just dont know how people can do it

Some of these are two and a half hours between first and last stops and then still got to get to the valley from there
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Valley Express has been reduced to £10 per game.

Pretty decent of them seeing that its effective from the Doncaster game (when the ULEZ comes into effect).

Basically saying that fans can either get the coach for £10 or pay the ULEZ for £12.50 (plus fuel)

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/6169271cab492/valley-express-reduced-to-10-per-match-for-affordable-travel-to-home-games
    This has nothing to do with the ULEZ, which does not affect the majority of people.

The coaches were running one third empty in part because of the matchday fares being charged (£14-£16). Under half of people using it are paying match by match, so reducing the fare doesn't have a major impact on revenue and it should help fill the empty seats, which will offset any income forfeited. 

Ultimately, if the coaches fill up again the club will be able to put more on and consequently reduce the number of stops per coach on some routes, so everyone wins.

Of course the football is a big factor in attracting people back, but the club is better off filling seats with regular fans than running with so many empty. 
  • Options
    Good news, common sense prevails.