Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colin Appleton RIP

edited June 2021 in General Charlton
Played for Charlton 28 times 1966-67 - He has died aged 85.  RIP

It's way before my time . Any Lifers remember him? 

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I only mentioned him to my son the other day during the League 1 play off final.  I wondered if he was linked to the Lincoln manager (Michael) as it isn't a very common name.  I would have seen him play, but don't remember too much about him due to my poor memory.

RIP Colin.

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP..
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Wasn't with us for long but always remembered more for being in the losing Leicester team when Spurs did the (then very rare) double .. R I P
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He went on to manage Barrow and Scarborough among others. Scarborough was his home town and he won the FA Trophy with them on three occasions. A bit of a hero in that part of the world. Was captain of a very successful Leicester side in the sixties but was past his best by the time he came to Charlton.
  • Options
    I saw one of those 28 games. I was at university in Swansea at the time, and I hitched a lift to Cardiff to watch us lose 4-1. Hitching a lift back to Swansea in the pouring rain afterwards was about as much fun as the game had been.
  • Options
    Yes, Appleton was a sort of 'covering' central defender ... you know the smaller type who plays alongside the 'big man'.

He formed a fine pairing with Ian King.

Not politically correct, I know ... but Appleton had big ears.  He was affectionately known to us as 'Flappers'. 
  • Options

RIP Colin.

Yes saw him play, did a good job for us in the short time he  was with us.

• Options
    RIP.

Yes I remember him, especially his large ears as already mentioned.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Remember him signing from Leicester, only 28 games ? Would have guessed at more, a decent (at 2nd Division level) "ball playing" centre back alongside the more robust Ian King. RIP Colin
  • Options
    Remember Colin & Ian King playing for us. 

RIP Colin
  • Options
    RIP
    Saw Colin play - good Pro, ever reliable
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Yes, remember seeing him play, though I can’t remember too much about him other than people didn’t groan when they saw his name on the team sheet, which is always a good sign for any pro.👍
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Yes, Appleton was a sort of 'covering' central defender ... you know the smaller type who plays alongside the 'big man'.

He formed a fine pairing with Ian King.

Not politically correct, I know ... but Appleton had big ears.  He was affectionately known to us as 'Flappers'. 
    Yeah, my Dad used to say Appleton had ears like "Taxi Doors".

Saw many of the home games that season and remember him for being composed and calm on the ball, sweeping up around Kingy.
    I was only a 10 year old back then - surprising how clearly you can remember games as a kid, but some more recent games just blur in the memory.

RIP Colin.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    I remember Colin. RIP. I was 10 too Oggy.
  • Options
    RIP Colin, I don't remember much about your Charlton days unfortunately. But by all accounts you were a good solid profesional. 
  • Options
    I remember Colin as our number 6 in the same side for one season in the mid to late sixties as Billy Bonds, Alan Campbell, Lenny Glover, Keith Peacock, Mike Kenning Peter Reeves, Brian Kinsey and Charlie Wright to name but a few. He was also a relative of one of my northern relatives and as mentioned above highly thought of in those parts.

RIP Colin
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I remember Colin as our number 6 in the same side for one season in the mid to late sixties as Billy Bonds, Alan Campbell, Lenny Glover, Keith Peacock, Mike Kenning Peter Reeves, Brian Kinsey and Charlie Wright to name but a few. He was also a relative of one of my northern relatives and as mentioned above highly thought of in those parts.

RIP Colin
    I haven't checked the records, but Appleton and Peter Reeves would not have played together too often.  There were both similar types of player.

Appleton with Ian King and Peter Reeves with Paul Went.  Industrial strength central defenders.  
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    RedChaser said:

RIP Colin
    That was a decent team. You left out Harry Gregory. 
    I did and Ron Saunders (top scorer with 11) who made 28 appearances compared to Harry’s 31 in 66/67. Matt Tees was also on the books by then making 9 starts scoring four times, as was the returning Eddie Firmani with six goals in 9 starts.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    RedChaser said:

RIP Colin
    I haven't checked the records, but Appleton and Peter Reeves would not have played together too often.  There were both similar types of player.

Appleton with Ian King and Peter Reeves with Paul Went.  Industrial strength central defenders.  
    I would agree with that, Went however never signed until the following season. It was Reeves first full season with 25 appearances compared to Appleton’s 28. King was the first choice Centre Half with John Keirs his understudy.
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    RedChaser said:

RIP Colin

And the thing about  the teenaged Reevesy and Went ....... they were only 18 and 17 when they first regularly played together as centre halves.
    Must have been the youngest CB pairing in the old 2nd Division, and probably since.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    RedChaser said:
    RedChaser said:

RIP Colin
    That was a decent team. You left out Harry Gregory. 
    I did and Ron Saunders (top scorer with 11) who made 28 appearances compared to Harry’s 31 in 66/67. Matt Tees was also on the books by then making 9 starts scoring four times, as was the returning Eddie Firmani with six goals in 9 starts.
    Were they all in that photo ? Eddie Firmani 6 in 9 upon a second return to CAFC.  Complete lack of form there.

Thanks for the reminder .  I wonder if we has kept Cliff Holton as well what would have been the impact there. 
    Not sure what photo you’re referring to but the stats were taken from Richard Redden’s book ‘Valley of Tears - Valley of Joy’. Who knows but I saw Cliff make his debut in the 4-1 win at Ipswich 5/2/66 when 1500 of us still made the trip despite not having won since early October and sliding towards the drop zone! ( @oohaahmortimer take note 😉) . 
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP