Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Les Burns

Anyone got any information please about the subsequent activities or present whereabouts of Les Burns, who played a few games for Charlton at centre half during the period 1967-68.? He joined Guildford City after leaving us, but have no idea what happened to him after that.

Comments

• Options
    He later played very successfully for Dartford, assuming he’s the same player, won the southern league and played in the unsuccessful  F A trophy final at Wembley.
  • Options
    is this the same man .. died in 2013 .. Tributes to Les Burns (kentonline.co.uk)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    A German website has a little information. Mentions the 67/68 season... they also have no information on his subsequent career. 

https://peoplepill.com/people/les-burns-1
  • Options
    The Dartford Les Burns is a different person. As far as I am aware, ours is still living at age 77. Hopefully someone on CL will know him.
  • Options
    The Dartford Les Burns is a different person. As far as I am aware, ours is still living at age 77. Hopefully someone on CL will know him.
    Our Les Burns was a blond haired feller wasn't he ?
  • Options
    That is the one.
  • Options
    Think he’s still going has 2 sons good footballers in and around the Dartford area 
  • Options
    He later played very successfully for Dartford, assuming he’s the same player, won the southern league and played in the unsuccessful  F A trophy final at Wembley.
    I went to that final 1974.....lost 2-1 to Morcambe if I recall. 
    You are correct I was also there, Morecambe scored with two deflected goals if my memory serves me correctly, not that I’m still bitter after nearly 50 years.
  • Options
    You are correct I was also there, Morecambe scored with two deflected goals if my memory serves me correctly, not that I’m still bitter after nearly 50 years.
    I was there too. One of my best mates at the time was Dartford supporter who would often come to Charlton games. I returned the compliment by going to support Dartford at Wembley. I think Dartford won the Southern League that year and were being talked as the best non-League team in the country.
  • Options
    I don't know Les Burns but I know Vic burns.

Well it does if you rub it on your bollocks.   :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bob on ....our Les Burns had an indifferent career.  Darts Les Burns played 646 times at  centre half for Dartford between 1961 and 1975. ThiscLes Burns had dark hair. Ours was more blond ish.
    That is right. The Dartford one is a completely different person and he died a few years ago.  Charlton's Les Burns was a tall fair haired centre half. He was only at the club for one year and played 8 matches. He came from Shepherds Bush originally. Ring any bells to anyone?
  • Options
    The Fanackapans were there too. 
  • Options
     It was all very annoying but Morecambe weren't a bad side if I recall. 24,000 about on the day.
    Morecambe were a good side, think you were right about the crowd. Thing I remember is a bonfire behind the goal. But this isn’t helping finding the other Les Burns, but it surprising that there were two centre half’s with the same not very common name operating in the same area around the same time.
  • Options
    Thanks but someone out there must know what happened to him. The Dartford Les Burns is a red herring.
  • Options
    Me too. I've still got my ticket to the game.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Les Burns is mentioned playing for Guildford City in 1971 (second line down in the 1971-1976 section)

https://guildfordcityfc.co.uk/guildford-city-1921-1976/

This must surely be the same man mentioned in the first post.
    Interesting that he is credited as scoring a proportion of 42 goals in the 1970-71 season along with Tony Burge.
    So he was a Guildford player for at least three seasons, and made a big contribution to their Southern League Division 1 (2nd tier) winning campaign.
  • Options
    The Fanackapans were there too. 
    Me too, as a 14 year old with my dad, not sure why two Gravesend and Northfleet fans were there wanting Dartford to win. Local support i guess. 

Remember at the final whistle my dad thumping this young thug who nearly knocked us down the steps from the terracing, who was shouting "lets go get em".

One of our engineers is from Lancaster and he attended the match for Morecambe.
  • Options
    lardiman said:
    Les Burns is mentioned playing for Guildford City in 1971 (second line down in the 1971-1976 section)

https://guildfordcityfc.co.uk/guildford-city-1921-1976/

This must surely be the same man mentioned in the first post.
    Interesting that he is credited as scoring a proportion of 42 goals in the 1970-71 season along with Tony Burge.
    So he was a Guildford player for at least three seasons, and made a big contribution to their Southern League Division 1 (2nd tier) winning campaign.
    Thanks for the info. I knew that Les played for Guildford City after he left Charlton, but did not know that he stayed long enough to feature in their promotion side. Doe anybody know what happened to him after he left Guildford?