Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Contemporary English

Hi all

Doing a bit of work on this today....aaaaand...I figure you guys are an excellent source of information and so I want to tap you up.

1) Are there any words you would add or remove to this list of useful abbreviations (it was created in 2014):

"hodl"    is one I have picked up from the Cryptocurrency thread on here

Anything else that we use a lot on CL?

ffs is not appropriate for what I am doing :) 

Comments

• Options
    iirc
  • Options
    smc
  • Options
    BOBFOC
  • Options
    DP
    ATM
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MAAN......much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    Lol it certainly doesn't mean what I see lots of people of a certain age think it means. 
  • Options
    itk
  • Options
    Fairs -  "fair enough

Allow it -"I agree with this sentiment"

Pre's - "meeting up to get pissed before going out"

FOMO - Fear of Millwall opinions

TMI - Too much information
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fairs -  "fair enough

I assume that a simple 'OK' is far too passé these days?

All these abbreviations are fine.  They free up valuable time ... which can then be better spent asking others about ... well ... abbreviations and that kind of thing.

Here's another idea ... there are a huge number of potential words of two or three letters which haven't been used yet (for example ... hgw, mmv, eeq).

Why don't we make up meanings for all of those first?
  • Options
    BMW
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Fairs -  "fair enough

All these abbreviations are fine.  They free up valuable time ... which can then be better spent asking others about ... well ... abbreviations and that kind of thing.

Here's another idea ... there are a huge number of potential words of two or three letters which haven't been used yet (for example ... hgw, mmv, eeq).

I believe it has been abbreviated to 'k'.
  • Options
    ITMA

TTFN
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Fairs -  "fair enough

I believe it has been abbreviated to 'k'.
    O
  • Options
    NBRR&B
  • Options
    Am still going over here....thought I'd share the link to this tool with you:

https://books.google.com/ngrams

There must be some CL fun to be had with that one
  • Options
    JSTCAFO
  • Options
    ATTT.......Ain’t that the truth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    How about this then...

Can you give me 5 words to replace these representations of youth slang:

peng = excellent/physically attractive....or has that already become "peak"

What more modern versions could the other 4 be replaced with?
  • Options
    I do wonder what the yout of today use.  My partner’s brother is 24 and I heard his mate say ‘that’s low key something or the other’ 

apparently low key is a term 

in our day (late 90s), you were looking at terms like blem, which meant cigarette.  That’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head.  A lot of youngsters say ‘bare’ a lot.  Ive still never got how white kids adopt a ghetto/rude boy twang.  I don’t say it because I think there is anything wrong with it.  People can speak how they want.  I just don’t know how it happens.

I also don’t get how Scottish people tweet their accent in some tweets I see.  I can’t ever imagine tweeting or typing something in my saaarf London twang 
  • Options
    FFS
  • Options
    TGIF
    Thank God It’s Friday

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I do wonder what the yout of today use.  My partner’s brother is 24 and I heard his mate say ‘that’s low key something or the other’ 

apparently low key is a term 

in our day (late 90s), you were looking at terms like blem, which meant cigarette.  That’s the only one I can think of off the top of my head.  A lot of youngsters say ‘bare’ a lot.  Ive still never got how white kids adopt a ghetto/rude boy twang.  I don’t say it because I think there is anything wrong with it.  People can speak how they want.  I just don’t know how it happens.

I also don’t get how Scottish people tweet their accent in some tweets I see.  I can’t ever imagine tweeting or typing something in my saaarf London twang 
    Move with the times, Grandad.

Why, even on the BBC we are now exhorted to view things on 'Aah plair'.

Separately, I'm OK (sorry ... allow it) with low key (although it should be 'low-key', of course).  Probably in use since the early 1800s, it can mean undramatic, understated, showing no visible reaction ... although I believe that it can also mean 'secret' now.

This is the beauty of language ... making established words mean something else.  And then waiting for the rest of the World to catch up ... probably on Aah Plair.
  • Options
    FTD

Failed to deliver
  • Options
    FTD

Failed to deliver
    Was this meant for the Omar Bogle thread ?😉
  • Options
    Hi all

Doing a bit of work on this today....aaaaand...I figure you guys are an excellent source of information and so I want to tap you up.

1) Are there any words you would add or remove to this list of useful abbreviations (it was created in 2014):

"hodl"    is one I have picked up from the Cryptocurrency thread on here

Anything else that we use a lot on CL?

ffs is not appropriate for what I am doing :) 
    Why is ffs not appropriate you've got wtf.
  • Options
     for "Owned" see "ratio/ratioed"  EG the ratio of negative to positive responses to your social media post is so high that you have been "shown up" or made to look foolish in the lexicon of older people.
  • Options
    Englands game plan last night
    FUBAR