Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wimbledon 2021

Comments

• Options
    I see she learned to play in Orpington. 
    Watching me play tennis at goddington park must have inspired her.
    I claim all the credit. 
    Although as I haven't played for about 25 years and she's only 18.
    Possibly not.
  • Options
    I claim all the credit. 
    Possibly not.
    My brother has claimed credit for inspiring her. He plays on Sunday mornings at Willett Rec, Petts Wood and she used to practise with her dad  from the age of about 9/10 to 12/13. It was obvious then how good she was.
  • Options
    She's some player that's for sure.
  • Options
    Yes!

I’d forgotten how nervous watching tennis can be!
  • Options
    I believe she doesn’t realises how good she is yet, great talent for the future.
  • Options
    Fantastic, last 16 at Wimbledon 18!  
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Wonderful result - but now comes the envitable attention and pressure. But she certainly enjoyed herself today and was v impressive! - bring it on!
  • Options
    I claim all the credit. 
    Possibly not.
    My brother has claimed credit for inspiring her. He plays on Sunday mornings at Willett Rec, Petts Wood and she used to practise with her dad  from the age of about 9/10 to 12/13. It was obvious then how good she was.
    I used to play there regularly back in the 70s with another Charlton supporter who came from Petts Wood.
    Mickey Hayes if any of you older chaps remember him.
  • Options
    Raducanu was outstanding, brought a tear to my eye at the end.
    A star is born.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Impressive to go through three rounds without dropping a set in her first Wimbledon. Hopefully a long and successful career ahead!
  • Options
    Sensational   
  • Options
    Raducanu's exploits are like something you'd expect from a Richard Curtis screenplay. 
  • Options
    Federer beat Norrie in 4 sets.

Raducanu the only Brit in the second week, on her Grand Slam debut.
  • Options

The eyes of the whole country on her, especially as Monday is a non football day
  • Options

I gave Cameron a couple of supportive yells but it wasn’t enough…
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    A star is born.

I saw Robson play at Wimbledon when she was 15 but injuries stopped her career after it looked like she could be a top 20 players after big wins in slams.

I was aware of Emma Raducanu last year when she was in a team events with most of the British players in a men and women team event. It was shown on TV and on line.
    I was in the club house at Glebe FC In Chislehurst on Saturday before a friendly match against Croydon  cheering her on in the 2nd set before the game. She has learnt her tennis in our neck of the woods and having seen so many matches either at Wimbledon or on TV with British players she has a winning mentality which is impressive and rare having seen too many plucky GB losers over the years.

Emma puts this down to her maternal Chinese side. Born in Toronto to a Rumanian dad and her Chinese mum, but being in UK since she was 2  and bright as  a  button and with total confidence. To win 3 matches at Wimbledon when you are 338 in the world and number 10 ranking in the UK is crazy but I guess that was slightly skewed by Raducanu not being a full time player because of her education and Covid which stopped so many tournaments over an 18 month period.

This girl is the real deal and her personality and her international looks will take her far and when I heard Nigel Seers was going to be her Coach I knew she had a chance to be a  top  player because his track record with Amanda Coetzer,  Daniela Hantuchova and Ana ivanovic highlighted he worked with top 10 players over the years.

Third match on number 1 court tomorrow against the fiesty Australian Tomljanovic who had a blazing row in her last match and accused  Ostapenko of cheating when she wanted a medical time out.
  • Options
    Am sure I read they were playing on middle Sunday this year. 
  • Options
    A star is born.

I saw Robson play at Wimbledon when she was 15 but injuries stopped her career after it looked like she could be a top 20 players after big wins in slams.

I was aware of Emma Raducanu last year when she was in a team events with most of the British players in a men and women team event. It was shown on TV and on line.
    I was in the club house at Glebe FC In Chislehurst on Saturday before a friendly match against Croydon  cheering her on in the 2nd set before the game. She has learnt her tennis in our neck of the woods and having seen so many matches either at Wimbledon or on TV with British players she has a winning mentality which is impressive and rare having seen too many plucky GB losers over the years.

Emma puts this down to her maternal Chinese side. Born in Toronto to a Rumanian dad and her Chinese mum, but being in UK since she was 2  and bright as  a  button and with total confidence. To win 3 matches at Wimbledon when you are 338 in the world and number 10 ranking in the UK is crazy but I guess that was slightly skewed by Raducanu not being a full time player because of her education and Covid which stopped so many tournaments over an 18 month period.

This girl is the real deal and her personality and her international looks will take her far and when I heard Nigel Seers was going to be her Coach I knew she had a chance to be a  top  player because his track record with Amanda Coetzer,  Daniela Hantuchova and Ana ivanovic highlighted he worked with top 10 players over the years.

Third match on number 1 court tomorrow against the fiesty Australian Tomljanovic who had a blazing row in her last match and accused her opponent of cheating when she wanted a medical time out.
    I was trying to remember where I had seen her before, then I remembered that "battle of the brits" event last year organised by the Murrays, which was a brilliant idea and must have been really helpful for the younger players
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Am sure I read they were playing on middle Sunday this year. 

They did consider it, but only if they got too far behind with matches on the outside courts on the first six days.
  • Options
    Apparently middle Sunday matches are starting from 2022.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    A star is born.

Third match on number 1 court tomorrow against the fiesty Australian Tomljanovic who had a blazing row in her last match and accused her opponent of cheating when she wanted a medical time out.
    I was trying to remember where I had seen her before, then I remembered that "battle of the brits" event last year organised by the Murrays, which was a brilliant idea and must have been really helpful for the younger players

Yes that's correct I knew it was an all British affair as they couldn't travel far to play.

Emma Raducanu has leapfrogged the likes of Swan, Dart and Boulter, in what she has achieved already in this Wimbledon.

Katie Boulter similar to Robson is blighted by injuries but definitely could be a top 40 player if she could stay fit as she has a good serve and great forehand.

Swan and Dart may make top 100 but not much higher. Watson is 29 now and won't improve but has travelled the world, and made some money, plus once came within 2 points of beating Serena Williams on centre court.

Joanne Konta could beat the best and then nerves would beat her in Quarter or semi finals. Konta is as highly strung as her Rackets at times.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Apparently middle Sunday matches are starting from 2022.
    Yep, last ever 'Manic Monday' tomorrow.
  • Options
    Big game for Emma Raducanu (obviously!) - not just the last 16 at Wimbledon, but Court One at probably prime time for people watching on TV too.

Fingers crossed she can do it!
  • Options
    Anyone else see the Jabeur v Muguruza game earlier?

Jabeur literally threw up with nerves on match point, I found it quite endearing to see how much nerves can still affect the players etc.

Hope she goes on a run now, she played really well too.
    No throwing up from Jabeur today, but played very, well again to beat Swiatek.
  • Options
    I claim all the credit. 
    Possibly not.
    I used to play there regularly back in the 70s with another Charlton supporter who came from Petts Wood.
    Mickey Hayes if any of you older chaps remember him.
    Blimey. Willett Rec and Goddington Park, I played tennis there from time to time in my youth.

She went to Newstead Woods School. Back in the 1970s a number of girls of my aquaintence went there.

I watched Emma's last game in full. She is a hell of prospect.

I also watched her post match press conference. Incredibly mature for her age. 
  • Options
    I was impressed with Fran Jones but it must be so difficult for her missing a finger on each hand and only having 7 toes; she must have to play quite differently. Maybe it has made her the player she is but I wonder how much better she could be is she had the full number
  • Options
    I was impressed with Fran Jones but it must be so difficult for her missing a finger on each hand and only having 7 toes; she must have to play quite differently. Maybe it has made her the player she is but I wonder how much better she could be is she had the full number
    Brave Young Tennis Player — Charlton Life