Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

anyone from Australia

2»

Comments

• paulg1947 said:
    Hi,
    I'm here in sunny Queensland. Well actually it's bloody freezing at the moment! I'm on the Sunshine Coast near Coolum beach.
    Tony, I only saw your messages last week. I'll be in touch soon. Been really busy since getting back.
    Are you jokin mate ,Try living in Melbourne?
    Hi Paul, hope youre well mate
  • Funny reading back on this thread from 2007....the early days of AddicksDownunder, with just a handful starting it and it grew to around 230 members by 2009.

Steadily declined from 2012 back down to a small handful.

Some really good friendships formed over the years and Im still in touch with most of the people who posted.

Very hard to maintain over a great distance, not only from the Valley but also between states.

A guy contacted me a few weeks back who lives just down the road from me at Castle Hill......still a big latent support down here.
  • I'm definitely latent from Lake Macquarie (on loan) ... fingers crossed returning to Sydney for pre season 2022/23.   
  • TEL said:
    Funny reading back on this thread from 2007....the early days of AddicksDownunder, with just a handful starting it and it grew to around 230 members by 2009.

Some really good friendships formed over the years and Im still in touch with most of the people who posted.

Very hard to maintain over a great distance, not only from the Valley but also between states.

A guy contacted me a few weeks back who lives just down the road from me at Castle Hill......still a big latent support down here.
    Those were the days Tel.  Interesting to read those posts from way back.  Glad you’re well and hopefully staying clear of the virus.  Have you taken to following the Phoenix yet, seeing as we’re based near Sydney now?
  • I'm definitely latent from Lake Macquarie (on loan) ... fingers crossed returning to Sydney for pre season 2022/23.   
    Youre better off up there mate, Sydney prices are just plain bonkers.

• TEL said:
    Funny reading back on this thread from 2007....the early days of AddicksDownunder, with just a handful starting it and it grew to around 230 members by 2009.

Those were the days Tel.  Interesting to read those posts from way back.  Glad you’re well and hopefully staying clear of the virus.  Have you taken to following the Phoenix yet, seeing as we’re based near Sydney now?
    Yes it was good whilst it lasted Dave. Ive been invited to do a piece for the International Addicks day via Lars, whilst Im happy to do it, I think the boat has sailed as far as Australian interest is concerned.

A League football? yawn.......I do watch the Mariners (when they play) but havent been to a live match since pre covid, just right now Im of the opinion that staying at home is probably the best thing to do as Covid here is rampant.
  • eeladdick said:
    I have seen no one has used this topic so i thought i would be the first, ;-)
    so who lives in Aus and where ?
    Not the sort of thing someone is likely to admit, I’d have thought …(said every Kiwi ever) 
  • paulg1947 said:
    Hi Tel- Thanks for the welcome- Im not sure where you are now I'm always aware that youngsters  are often up to being mobile .By memory i think you went back to Blighty for a while
     I read you piece about the remnants of A D U and mentioned the fabulous 3 ,of whom i was one,lol. , but admittedly ,i was a very late joiner, unlike the apparent ,heady days  And Per Clarke used to make it 4 occasionally. My daughter follows him and Linda on face book. They have a B&B on Philip Island .I am in fairly regular contact with Dave in Wellington ,Hats off to how efficiently he ran the tipping comp. Wasted talent now 
     I find the A league most rewarding in the absence of Charlton
     Being as i support the code, here in the soccer (football) suppressing ,and neglecting colonies .(still un naturalized, until we become a republic) .I switched from Victory to Melbourne City (the Muscat issue) and love to see the youngsters develope even at Victory .And we have Western United to, for whom i have a soft spot for, and are surely developing youngsters, too I did once communicate with Charlton (probably like many others) recommending young gun Riley McGree He has just gone to Middlesborough via Brum City. Perhaps Bows knew something. Latest boy to travel from Mel City, in this window to Hearts of M L , was Nat Atkinson. A boy to watch,- Note-- Mc Gree scored for Australia against Vietnam last night. Cities success this season is a lot to do with their defense I have a great admiration for Curtis Good Had a  spell with Newcastle United UK, but with so many ups n downs and manager changes he came home, But i'm not a good scout ,lol. I saw Joe Simunich a few times, play for Melbourne Knights,in the 80s 90s To me he was ordinary .Next thing he was in Europe & playing for Croatia
      Lets hope the new boys that have come to Charlton, in this window can be the catalyst for a tilt at the title next year. If sir Chris can recommend that young M F from Spurs. I am optimistic
     All the best in red and white-- COYA
    Hi Paul, yeah I knew you Dave and a couple of others kept the ADU fire burning.  I'm still in Australia. Watch the occasional A league game. But find it all very sterile. Glad to see you still love your A league. 
  • paulg1947 said:
    Where abouts  in OZ mate I'm still in Melbourne I would love to go North to Queensland but just havn't got the balls to make the jump And the wife isn't to enthusiastic But hinks about it as her arthritis and joints tell her it makes sense, but i think she is like me, cant push the boat out
      The A League is just a fill in, and watch youngsters develope The 4 matches i have seen streamed from Charlton didnt seem much different in quality T B H. A lot of hospital balls, heavy touches, and turn overs, But hey this Charlton. Ball control seems much more clinical at City ,T B H, but then again the defenders arn't so game smart and physical, perhaps Its very hard to judge, They had a boy Craig Noone last year how smart was he reading a game. But i mist a motsa of games in the purple patch years with Bartlett and Fish and all.
      I was in the U K at the Milenium N Y, and the first game of the new milenium was a 3--0, victory over Forest Gee they played well that day, but ,do you know what i didnt know one player from Adam there-True----- Lets hope this young boy Nile John can do something for turning it around-About 3 years ago Melbourne City had a loanee from Spurs a young coloured boy Sir name Harrison. Played well but nothing too special
    Do you follow, or ever go and watch, the Storm?
  • Sponsored links:

• My BIL now lives in Carnegie in Melbourne, he’s an addick. 
  • edited January 2022
    Any of you “old school” Melbourne fellas know of Steve Atkins?
    This is going back a good few haircuts to around 1966/67, when he first emigrated to Oz.
    Real good old friend of mine and Johnny Summers Jnr, he was ex- Brockley County, strange as they played rugby not football.
    Was something of a super star in Melbourne (football wise) in his day.
    Played for Ringwood and Wilhelmina, ex- Palarse pro, played for their reserves a few times if I remember rightly. 
    Was employed as a timber agent/purchaser for many a year.
    Died a few years back from lung cancer……he smoked like a trooper!
    Lovely fella, was born the day after me in 1948, I visited him in Melbourne many moons back.