Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Memorable incidents watching Charlton

edited July 2007 in General Charlton
Be good to build up a collection of incidents that may have faded off the radar, but are still memorable to you and may prompt others memories. I don't mean play-off final, or the return etc.

1. Mortimer's double nut-meg in the snow at Millwall, down by the corner flag with only minutes left. By now there was only about 200 Millwall fans left in the ground and i don't think i've ever felt so jubilant at a game.

2. At Chelsea away in the Coca Cola, with only seconds to go the ball come to by me and Brenda in the crowd in the front row. It gets thrown back to Chris Powell who promptly throws it back at us to waste another 10 seconds. He then has a massive grin and stops and has a little chat.

3. The Valley Floyd Road in the last five minutes of the Spurs game. Despite relegation, despite conceding a goal in between, despite it being Defoe, i looked around the ground at that moment and its probably one of the proudest i've ever felt at a game.

Comments

• Options
    1. Eddie Youds upfront at Selhurst on Boxing Day - didn't know whether to laugh or cry

2. Going mental, away at Villa, as Danny Mills fires home the 4th (and banging on the door of the Cap and Gown demanding to be let in at 11am, with Russian dancing and vodka shots leading to a messy afternoon)

3. Hot pork pies and mushy peas in The Peacock at Elland Road, turning round and seeing that we're the only Charlton in there (in colours)

4. Being one of the 20 or so to watch (IMHO) the worst ever Charlton performance - away at Boro last season (still think I deserve a free season ticket for witnessing that)
  • Options
    Pork Pie falling asleep at Boro... whilst holding a pie I think?
  • Options
    1. the day we got relegated back to division one (1999),It was my birthday and my last chance of seeing charlton before emigrating to aus,I remeber full time i was in the F block ,shirt off and swinging it in the air whilst singing "I am charlton till i die" Tears rolling down my face but i was so proud to be a charlton fan,

2. I brought my family over from aus for a holiday 2005 took my eldest son (then 6) to his first charlton game at the valley against southampton 0-0,then the following tuesday away to Grimsby in the cup, i had been saying to him that frannie and murphy were good signings and would score lots of goals,and just by luck the pair of them scored on that night (i am sure it was both thier first goals for us) murphys was a great free kick,and on the way back to woolwich i had to tell my son all about Sir Clive Mendonca as he was there at the match and a big thing was made about him playing for both teams

Like all of you out there ,I have thousands more and will share them with you in the future ,but now i look forward to reading everyone elses.
  • Options
    1. Mervyn Day going mental on the touchline at the Valley and goping to kick something on the sideline completely missing and landing flat on his back - ABSOLUTE classic.

2. fat bird on the pitch at Palace - will never get beaten for comedy value EVER

3. Mendonca's hattrick - the finest I have ever seen and at Wembley
  • Options
    Paul Curtis scoring at Fulham in 83 (Ithink) 1st away victory for over a year, got carried from the top of the terrace to the bottom in the surge.

Mark Aizelwood scoring the equalizer at Spurs in the cup in 84

Ripping my ankle ligaments when Leaburn scored against Newcastle at Upton Park

Jimmy Melrose's goal against West Ham
  • Options
    A few years back, when they had some shrubbery arround the base of the floodlights. I recollect the ball disappearing up there and a playing clambering up the bank to get the ball (Robbo I think) back to take a throw in.
  • Options
    Great moments above- I know i shouldn't condone this but add to it, the look on Curbs' and Day's faces as they ran around frantically picking up the catalogues that were thrown on the pitch in response to a refereeing decision.
  • Options
    The catalogue incident was an absolute classic. Remember one that came out the West Upper that must of floated a good 60 yards. I think it was Frank Sinclair who was just leaning against a post flicking through a catalogue and having a good laugh.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Great moments above- I know i shouldn't condone this but add to it, the look on Curbs' and Day's faces as they ran around frantically picking up the catalogues that were thrown on the pitch in response to a refereeing decision.

An absolute classic! Something in the air that day I think - sky was pitch black as a thunderstorm passed overhead and the crowd reacted to Steve Brown being sent off (whilst on a stretcher) by covering the pitch in merchandise catalogues! The ref later sent off a Leicester player (Junior Lewis?) for a minor offence and I think we won the game?

Also Lisbie's goal away at Ipswich, I think on the opening day of the season one year and singing his name all the way back to Liverpool Street (that can't happen often).

And whilst I'm at Portman Road - Leaburn's hattrick in the 5-1 drubbing - and all with his feet!

Pardew's winner against Southend, on the day the East Stand opened, making it 4-3 after we'd let a 3-0 lead slip.

Robbo's screamer against a high flying Huddersfied Town just after Christmas which really kicked off our promotion charge that year.
  • Options
    lol i wa sin upper west that day, and 2 of my efforts landed on the pitch! was well pleased. very funny footage that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    did you forget to add that between them, the other 27 efforts removed eyes from two supporters in the lower west and knocked three children out.

:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]lol i wa sin upper west that day, and 2 of my efforts landed on the pitch! was well pleased. very funny footage that!

we sat in the east stand then, as KB's kids were little.............I refused to throw mine as it had a lovely picture of Scotty in it................not one of my best moments I grant you ;-)

a memory for me.................KB announcing to the whole of M Block as Bart Williams was about to take a free kick from the edge of the area (can't recall now who it was against) that, 'This bloke couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo'..................only for him to curl it in the top corner................'you don't save those'.

queue lots of KB head slapping & chants of 'what do you know about football'..................priceless!!!!!!
  • Options
    Three of the more recent moments

The Lino taking a Rufus clearance full in the face and being knocked sparko - against Leeds I think

Lisbie's third against Liverpool with the entire ground screaming at him to pass it.

El kak's Free kick from just inside the oppo's half with bartlett leaping like a gazelle and getting no where near the ball as it sailed in.
  • Options
    when fans used to be sat in the West Stand i remember going to a game against Derby.

There was a Derby fan walking down the steps to his seat and someone leathered the ball, it hit him on the head and he fell down about 30 steps.

I don't think i've ever laughed as much in my life.

(hope the fella is ok)
  • Options
    Getting promoted to the old 2nd Division on a balmy night in May 1975. 26,000 Charlton. Packed Covered End. Singing and Dancing on the pitch at the end.

Beating Bolton 4-1 in May 1985? to stave off relegation. It was winner takes it all. it was either us or them that went down. 1-0 down with 20 minutes to go. The comebacks don't get any better.
  • Options
    About 1997ish we played Crewe at The Valley and their physio had long black permed hair and a tash.

There were a fair few of us who chanted Killer, Killer every time he came on the pitch.

I don't think he knew what to make of it!
  • Options
    Does anyone else remember this - going back a long way, probably late 70s. It was an evening game against Notts County (or it may have been Forest). There was a blatant foul on one of our players in the area near the end of the match, and everyone cried 'penalty' but the ref waved play on. One of the opposition players, though, didn't look at the ref and just went over and picked the ball up. So the ref had to give a pen for handball - it was priceless! It either won us the game 2-1, or meant we equalised 2-2 - I can't quite remember which.
  • Options
    The Physio who's used to throw pies into the covered end after corous of 'who ate all pies' Top man
  • Options
    I actually started to cry a bit when they did that presentation to Jorge Costa in his last home game. He then bawled his eyes out in front of the fans in his final game at Old Trafford.
  • Options
    For me and probably only me

Leaburn, absolutely taking the piss at Southend, going round the fella 8 times and spanking the ball home (bloody great at school on Monday)

Too mant to mention but both Palace games in 05/06 take some beating.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Late 70's, home game and before the game there's some bloke in a mahoosive inflateable suit. I'm talking 30 foot BIG here. He's swaying around a bit and a lad I used to go away with a bit in those days (Trev or Lee???) legs in down the steps from the Covered End, jumps the fence and legs it the centre circle knocks the bloke in the inflatable over.
    Whenever I see replays of 'It's a knock-out' it reminds me of what Stuat Hall and his sidekick would have made of it.

I guess you had to be there.

Same bloke, ran the length of the pitch to get at about 1000 Stoke fans when Garth Crooks scored their winner in a 2-3 league cup defeat. Never saw him much after that!

Anyone know who I'm talking about btw?
  • Options
    Parker winner at Leeds in injury time

Bartlett winners at Liverpool and Portsmouth

Geyser falling asleep at Wolves for the whole of the first half only to realise when he had woken up that we were winning 4-0

1905 drinking red wine at 'Boro

Getting off the train at Waterloo after another away victory at Portsmouth to a humungous chorus

Rommedahl winner at Shite house park absolutley mental lock in with Chris Powell in the Sky studio

3-2 away win at Spurs and the classic Bartlett handball that Deano thought to be totally innocent

A young Paul Walsh weaving his magic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Be good to build up a collection of incidents that may have faded off the radar, but are still memorable to you and may prompt others memories. I don't mean play-off final, or the return etc.

1. Mortimer's double nut-meg in the snow at Millwall, down by the corner flag with only minutes left. By now there was only about 200 Millwall fans left in the ground and i don't think i've ever felt so jubilant at a game.

Always called it mortimers figure of eight for some reason - was awesome that day - we were in one of the only games played if I remember rightly.

Also Andy Hunt scoring back to back hat-tricks at stockport and norwich

Atmosphere at Portman road 1998

so many
  • Options
    the huge noise generated and abuse thrown at andy johnson as he prepared to take that penalty against us at selhurst... then the absolute silence as he struck the ball..

followed by the crystal clearsound of the ball stricking deano's gloves.. que absolute mayhem... i was standing infront of a mob of 40 or so complete nutters and the subcequent celebrations lasted around 2 minutes... made complete by me ending up on the floor with my best made 20 seats down in the isle.. we all know what happened in the last minute
  • Options
    1. As Afka Spurs Game
    2 Being left in Blackburn
    3 to many to mention
  • Options
    Me almost srying when colin walsh gave away a pen against wimbledon(i think) at selhurst whilst us be one up, if we klet that in we were down basically... and good old bob bolder saving it!! circa 1988....

same year Shirtliff , i think jones, and willo getting the others in three nil win against derby and us winning henced staying up and everyone singing back to the valley!!

Spurs was the also my proudest moment as a fan of Charlton Athletic Football Club ... screaming standing up into the night sky arms aloft... my last game at the Valley fopr quite some time Id imagime...
  • Options
    the naked (apart from his socks) pitch invader on a freezing cold night against Villa

if i could be bothered i would dig out that picture
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]the naked (apart from his socks) pitch invader on a freezing cold night against Villa

if i could be bothered i would dig out that picture
    ha ha "What the f*cking hell is that"
  • Options
    the pigeon by the north-east corner flag that nutmegged sir chris
  • Options
    bartletts GOTS volley, one of the best strikes i've ever seen at the valley (giggs from halfway that hit the bar was pretty tasty, so was el kaks free kick against the arsenal)