Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Englands other "scoring early" tourney games

I got a sense of deja vu after we scored early and inevitably stopped playing to sit on it as the game wore on, and it occured to me this has happened before and turned out bad those times as well. 

Euro 96 Semi-final: England 1-1 Germany - Shearer 3rd minute goal (lost on pens)
Euro 2000 Group stage: England 2-3 Portugal - Scholes 3rd minute goal
Euro 2004 Quarter-final: England 2-2 Portugal - Owen 3rd minute goal (lost on pens)
World Cup 2018 Semi-final: England 1-2 Croatia - Trippier 5th minute goal 
Euro 2020 Final: England 1-1 Italy - Shaw 2nd minute goal (lost on pens)

Tbf I dont recall England sitting back soon after scoring like we did last night in all of those, although there were similarities in how the games unfolded in 2000 and 2018. 

Comments

• Options
    World Cup 1982 Group Stage : England 3-1 France - Robson 27 seconds
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    CAFCTrev said:
    I got a sense of deja vu after we scored early and inevitably stopped playing to sit on it as the game wore on, and it occured to me this has happened before and turned out bad those times as well. 

Euro 96 Semi-final: England 1-1 Germany - Shearer 3rd minute goal (lost on pens)
    Euro 2004 Quarter-final: England 2-2 Portugal - Owen 3rd minute goal (lost on pens)

Tbf I dont recall England sitting back soon after scoring like we did last night in all of those, although there were similarities in how the games unfolded in 2000 and 2018. 
    We definitely sat back in the Euro 2004 Portugal game, I remember us just inviting more and more pressure until Postiga scored quite late.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

We definitely sat back in the Euro 2004 Portugal game, I remember us just inviting more and more pressure until Postiga scored quite late.
    Yeah youre probably right, although I think it wasnt until well into the second half that this happened. 
  • Options
    First 20-30 minutes last night the Italians were absolutely on a plate. They looked stunned. Couldn't get anything going. By the end of the half Verratti and Jorginho were starting to control the midfield then I thought the tactical change when Cristante and Berardi came on in the 55th minute changed the game and they had control in the midfield as well as a genuine threat going forward in Chiesa.

The stats show they deserved to win the game. We had serious momentum in the first half an hour but didn't truly capitalise.   Good summery writing was on the wall after first 20-25 mins.

• Options
    First 20-30 minutes last night the Italians were absolutely on a plate. They looked stunned. Couldn't get anything going. By the end of the half Verratti and Jorginho were starting to control the midfield then I thought the tactical change when Cristante and Berardi came on in the 55th minute changed the game and they had control in the midfield as well as a genuine threat going forward in Chiesa.

The stats show they deserved to win the game. We had serious momentum in the first half an hour but didn't truly capitalise.   Good summery writing was on the wall after first 20-25 mins.

Good assessment, writing was on the wall after first 20-25 min.
  • Options
    VAR has nothing to do with snidey fouls etc.

Scoring that early may have hindered us slightly, because for all of the talk of having a 0-0 mentality etc, deep down the players will know that they hold on to the lead and it's won, so usually teams play within themselves slightly when 1-0 up.

The most telling stat for me is that our star striker, regarded as one of the best in the world, didn't touch the ball in the opponent's box last night in 120 minutes of football
  • Options
    He'd have to get in the box to touch it