Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club open day on Friday 30th July

£10 for season ticket holders and free to members!

I think that pricing is completely wrong.

Discuss

Comments

• so spend c£400 on a ST and pay £10 to watch them train........or spend c£35 on being a member and get in free ?!?!?!

or have I misread that?
  • £10 for season ticket holders but that doesn't even get you access to the Q&A which is only available to members - no thanks.

I do like that it's both mens and womens teams training though
  • so spend c£400 on a ST and pay £10 to watch them train........or spend c£35 on being a member and get in free ?!?!?!

or have I misread that?
    That was exactly what I thought too.
  • Piss up and brewery come to mind.
  • Hmm yeah... Thats an own goal on a level of Simon Kjaer!! 
  • No leadership , weak
  • This just highlights the absolute farce that is the membership scheme. 
  • It does seem a little bit backwards but at the same time they did tell us that there would be perks for people who bought into the membership scheme so not sure why the surprise.

No worries, next season they’ll just bake the cost of membership into the price of a season ticket (offer: free membership available for ST holders) and then none of these complaints will exist.
  • Sponsored links:

• It does seem a little bit backwards but at the same time they did tell us that there would be perks for people who bought into the membership scheme so not sure why the surprise.

No worries, next season they’ll just bake the cost of membership into the price of a season ticket (offer: free membership available for ST holders) and then none of these complaints will exist.
    But in the short term they have hardly anyone at the open day because it's on a work day for most people and children, who will be off school, are expected to pay £10 each too.

So the open day becomes a waste of time because so few people are there and it creates bad feeling about the membership scheme.

What they could have done is made it free or charged a nominal £1 or £2 for ticketing.  I get that they need to know how many people are there for safety reasons so some sort of ticket makes sense and also means you know who is there and have their details for marketing but I think this is the wrong way round.

It seems like they are using the event to boost sales of memberships which is short termism.  

The event should be about promoting support, getting younger fans in, reengaging with long time fans who haven't been to the Valley for a while, promoting the one club ethos with the women's team being there, letting fans interact with players, maybe sell some kit and maybe sell some season tickets or match tickets or even memberships off the back of the event.
  • The membership scheme said it offered free training session attendance, was one of the reasons I bought one as I thought it might be interesting.  

Don't see an issue.
    That was my feeling too. I’m not in a position to buy a season ticket so next thought would be membership. When announced, the open day invite was a big part of the sales pitch. 

The hardcore will pay, others won’t see the value. Seems fair enough to me
  • edited July 2021
    fmaddick said:
    The membership scheme said it offered free training session attendance, was one of the reasons I bought one as I thought it might be interesting.  

Don't see an issue.
    That was my feeling too. I’m not in a position to buy a season ticket so next thought would be membership. When announced, the open day invite was a big part of the sales pitch. 

Was it?

Don't remember any official mention of an open day before today's announcement?
  • fmaddick said:
    The membership scheme said it offered free training session attendance, was one of the reasons I bought one as I thought it might be interesting.  

Don't see an issue.

Was it?

Don’t think there was, wasn’t it just a chance to watch a training session?
  • ADDICKS (£35/£25 for season-ticket holders)

The adult Addicks membership is for supporters aged 18 and over and gives you the chance to show off your support for your club with an exclusive pair of specially-designed lucky Charlton socks and a Charlton legends desk calendar!

Addicks members will receive 30 loyalty points and 48-hour early access to home match tickets. Non-season-ticket holders will also receive a £2 discount on home match ticket purchases. 

Adult supporters will also have the opportunity to visit Sparrows Lane for a behind-the-scenes tour of the training ground and will receive invites to watch a training session and attend a Q&A with the manager. 

There is also 20% off stadium tours and £5 off an annual CharltonTV subscription on offer, while members will also be entered into monthly competitions throughout the season. 

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60b0f1c9471e5/charlton-launch-new-membership-scheme

• It’s clearly a revenue opportunity they are trying. It’s not going to be a chance to really see something very special or unique.  

A bit of a gimmick if you want to watch it and if you don’t you don’t have to. 

I seem to recall something similar at the valley maybe 5 or 6 years ago but seem to think it was either free or a nominal cost. 
  • fmaddick said:

Don't see an issue.

Was it?

Don’t think there was, wasn’t it just a chance to watch a training session?
    Trouble is, from my memory most people thought they would all be going to sparrows Lane, which is logistically impossible I'd have thought. 
  • Sponsored links:

• clive said:

ADDICKS (£35/£25 for season-ticket holders)

The adult Addicks membership is for supporters aged 18 and over and gives you the chance to show off your support for your club with an exclusive pair of specially-designed lucky Charlton socks and a Charlton legends desk calendar!

Addicks members will receive 30 loyalty points and 48-hour early access to home match tickets. Non-season-ticket holders will also receive a £2 discount on home match ticket purchases. 

Adult supporters will also have the opportunity to visit Sparrows Lane for a behind-the-scenes tour of the training ground and will receive invites to watch a training session and attend a Q&A with the manager. 

There is also 20% off stadium tours and £5 off an annual CharltonTV subscription on offer, while members will also be entered into monthly competitions throughout the season. 

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60b0f1c9471e5/charlton-launch-new-membership-scheme

Fair enough.

Still doesn't justify a £10 charge for season ticket holders IMHO
  • edited July 2021
    It’s clearly a revenue opportunity they are trying. It’s not going to be a chance to really see something very special or unique.  

A bit of a gimmick if you want to watch it and if you don’t you don’t have to. 

I seem to recall something similar at the valley maybe 5 or 6 years ago but seem to think it was either free or a nominal cost. 
    That will be Katrien Meire's open day when the club decided not to put things on for fans to do because of the cost. Not well received at all.
  • edited July 2021
    Let's be clear this is an Open Training Session and not an Open Day.

The Open Days of the past were terrific and would be great of they could be brought back
  • I don’t understand why they charge anyone for this. If they want to build the club back up and encourage support a free session would be a great thing to do.
  • Addicks member and tempted to go. Starting a uni course in September and waiting to get a student season ticket later on. Agree that season ticket holders should be able to go free though. It feels a bit off that I'm able to go for free and season ticket holders who contribute a lot more to the club financially aren't. Still, it's a nice membership perk. Wouldn't have objected to paying though. Maybe have the Addicks Membership grant you access to these events for a fee and allow season tickets in for free? Seems like a fair compromise. 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Let's be clear this is an Open Training Session and not an Open Day.

The Open Days of the past were terrific and would be great of they could be brought back
    Correct.

An Open Training Session is watching players train for a couple of hours at the Valley and you pay to get in.

An Open Day was terrific, lasted all day and was free.
  • edited July 2021
    Does seem a very curious offer, upset the people who are the lifeblood of the club, the people who provide a few million pounds between them to see the club  through the summer when there’s no income, strange idea in my opinion. 
  • Save the tenner for the Wimbledon cup game. 
  • edited July 2021
    I would imagine that they are hoping Membership owners will upgrade to a season ticket on the day.