Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A petition to ban racists from football.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I think an internet forum is social media. What happens a lot on here is somebody types something which is then forensically analysed, often for a different meaning than the poster intended. There are a group of people who think they are clever doing that, when of course the opposite is true.  This gets us wound up and hating people, which I can be guilty of myself and things can get out of hand.

Many people who hate each other would probably get on in a pub with a pint in their hand. Simply because when you are conversing and somebody misunderstands something, it is easier to ask, or give, clarification and not jump on somebody.

Nothing to do with racism, but I think a forum can follow the same pitfalls of other social media platforms.

Completely agree with all of this. Brilliant post. It is even easier when words are typed, than when they are spoken, to miss (often deliberately) the tone and nuance of what the person is trying to say. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    I think an internet forum is social media. What happens a lot on here is somebody types something which is then forensically analysed, often for a different meaning than the poster intended. There are a group of people who think they are clever doing that, when of course the opposite is true.  This gets us wound up and hating people, which I can be guilty of myself and things can get out of hand.

Many people who hate each other would probably get on in a pub with a pint in their hand. Simply because when you are conversing and somebody misunderstands something, it is easier to ask, or give, clarification and not jump on somebody.

Nothing to do with racism, but I think a forum can follow the same pitfalls of other social media platforms.

Completely agree with all of this. Brilliant post. It is even easier when words are typed, than when they are spoken, to miss (often deliberately) the tone and nuance of what the person is trying to say. 
    You're right, of course.  As is @MuttleyCAFC, one of my favourite posters (because, while I disagree with some Muttley's posts, I agree with many of them; and they're a poster very quick to clarify anything that could be misconstrued.  And usually does so with grace and charm). 

The person who delivers a message should always be responsible for how and whether that message is understood. For example, if I don't understand the latest Covid guidelines from the Government, that's Boris Johnson's fault.  

Some of the comments on this thread are open to interpretation.  And some people might not fully appreciate the tone and nuance of a number of them and misconstrue them.  Such as: 

'Pompous twats who if they were half as smart as they think they are, would still be twice as smart as they actually are', 'Oh get a grip', 'pathetic', 'prize pedant'. 

Let's hope we can draw a line under that this sort of 'jumping on'.  We shouldn't use social media (like CL) to abuse other users, particularly on a thread devoted to the prevention of the use of social media to abuse others. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Doesn't include the most popular form of abuse: Direct Messages. 

Without the statistics of that, it's useless information. Most UK people would abuse using a way that wouldn't make it a publically available message. Pretty simple. 

The 70% figure comes from the Premier League which is a globally supported league. Far different than abuse towards the England national team. 
    On twitter though you cant send someone a Direct Message unless you follow each other?
  • Options

Without the statistics of that, it's useless information. Most UK people would abuse using a way that wouldn't make it a publically available message. Pretty simple. 

The 70% figure comes from the Premier League which is a globally supported league. Far different than abuse towards the England national team. 
    On twitter though you cant send someone a Direct Message unless you follow each other?
    I think you can if you leave the setting open, could be wrong. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I intend to boo if I see any players taking the knee at the Valley next season.

I believe that I am simply expressing my rights under the freedom of speech laws. But I am sure some other fans will call me a racist.

Therefore I will delay signing this petition until I see what the reaction is to my booing.

I hope you don’t sit near me and my son. 
    Drown him out with applause, Jim
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think you can if you leave the setting open, could be wrong. 
    This is right.  Additionally, the default setting is that anyone can send you a DM in Twitter if you are following them. (Even though that's a bit counterintuitive, it works). 
  • Options
    Excellent post, Jim.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let's be fair though it can only happen in Football.
    2020 you can be found guilty of racial abuse in football  and your club will publicly back you.

• Options
    Vandalism that was sprayed on a mural of Marcus Rashford is "not believed to be of a racial nature", say police.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-57852315
  • Options
    'Or am I grossly oversimplifying this?'

Yes.  BLM is an organisation with extreme views that many, such as myself will not condone and they have chosen that as their vehicle of choice, along with all of its violent baggage.  Their choice.  They don't get to choose how people react to that; it is an individual's right to call it how they see it.

Your point about KIO is interesting, but surely something can be done about that?  Choosing to go the way they have and clumsily importing a divisive, intolerant and violent movement wholesale from a different country with different cultural issues will have consequences; I would have hoped that they would have considered that.  It also begs the question that although it is less fashionable and edgy, KIO is much more inclusive and has a simple message.  I think that it is sad that they decided to bin it, rather than reshape it into something more effective, which would of course take a lot of effort, but would still be achievable.

This thread overall seems like a bit of a reflection of society currently; the same old same old - people have a position and they stick to it and dismiss any opposing arguments/evidence out of hand.....and round in circles we go.

It's like the culture wars writ large; two sides shouting at each other, each convinced that they are correct, neither giving an inch.

Interesting that there are so many arguments back and forth ignoring the problem of online abuse and what to do about it; and the overall consensus here is.....nothing.  What's the definition of madness?

We can revisit this thread when the same thing happens again at the World Cup, then :/
  • Options
    Interesting interview (on Womens Hour, but men welcome to listen as well!) with the 3 women who started this petition.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xv7n  Starts at 3min18sec. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I know this isn't necessarily contributing to the thread and I haven't read the whole thread but I can't understand for the life of me why someone uses the skin colour of someone before using a profanity. 

If you wanna call someone a c then call them that if you must but why use their skin colour or nationality/belief before it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    I know this isn't necessarily contributing to the thread and I haven't read the whole thread but I can't understand for the life of me why someone uses the skin colour of someone before using a profanity. 

If you wanna call someone a c then call them that if you must but why use their skin colour or nationality/belief before it? 
    For the same reason someone would use the word fat, skinny, lanky, short, ginger, specy, spaz, gay, smelly, big nose, Muslim, Jewish, black, white  etc etc etc. Nasty gits who want to pick something different about a person when abusing them to hurt them more.
  • Options
    3 days after it came to light, Portsmouth still haven't sacked their racist academy players yet.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I haven’t read the other posts so forgive me if this is old news but I remember the only time I’ve witnessed racism in a Charlton crowd ever - 2000/01 season away at Villa- one fan made monkey gestures at Ian Taylor when he scored a goal .  I was about 14 and I remember feeling indelibly upset about it.  I support the players taking the knee and wholly back lifetime bans for these vile people on social media .  
    If you look at this an alternative way, do you not see it as a positive in how things have progressed that it’s now over 20 years @wmcf123 since you witnessed any form of racism at a football game, and that that incident was such an outliner ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    I haven’t read the other posts so forgive me if this is old news but I remember the only time I’ve witnessed racism in a Charlton crowd ever - 2000/01 season away at Villa- one fan made monkey gestures at Ian Taylor when he scored a goal .  I was about 14 and I remember feeling indelibly upset about it.  I support the players taking the knee and wholly back lifetime bans for these vile people on social media .  
    A I remember in my early twenties when I used to sit in the north upper there was this old boy that would complain about everything at the top of his lungs. I remember him calling Lloyd Sam a stupid black c*** don't remember him saying much worse, but he always needed to include the black bit.

Called him out for it once and the large group of mixed age blokes around him began effing and jeffing at me for calling him out. I'm not stupid so I wound my neck in. I ended up moving my seat in the end as I hated hearing him and his negativity and racism week in and week out.

• Options

If you wanna call someone a c then call them that if you must but why use their skin colour before it? 
    Because people are racist c***s.
    Good to see sexism is still going strong.
  • Options
    3 days after it came to light, Portsmouth still haven't sacked their racist academy players yet.
    The last statement they put out was 2pm Thursday.
    Because they are u18 it's to do with safeguarding.
    I doubt there will be a statement before Monday as it's now the weekend.
    Imo if this had been a 16/17 year old fan it would of been sorted by Thursday evening.

• Options
    iainment said:

If you wanna call someone a c then call them that if you must but why use their skin colour before it? 
    Because people are racist c***s.
    Good to see sexism is still going strong.
    I don’t get it..

Nor me.
  • Options
    I think in the mind of the eternally offended the "c word" is somehow sexist. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!