Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

British & Irish Lions in South Africa 2021

13»

Comments

• Options
    Need to take our chances
  • Options
    Thought we were harshly dealt with by the referee on a few occasions.
  • Options
    Thought we were harshly dealt with by the referee on a few occasions.
    Definitely. Actively helped them several times
  • Options
    Game we (Lions) should have won, players & coaching staff will be bitterly disappointed by that, big missed opportunity for a series win.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Rubbish end to a rubbish series. The Boks were all out to maintain their 'world champion' status at any cost, their 'playbook' mostly consisted of spoiling, punting, bullying and time wasting, and the Lions had neither the tactics nor the skill to outwit and outflank them. The irony is that on the rare  occasion(s)  when the Boks moved the ball wide they looked dangerous and for the Lions,  IF Williams had seen and/or used Adams free on his outside, the Lions could have ended up winning the series with a (third) try in the three games.

A drawn series would probably have been the fairest outcome and given that the Boks had hardly had a game for the best part of two years and the Lions spent the tour almost under house arrest/quarantine, perhaps I expected too much.
    It could also be said that the Lions were fortunate to play all three tests at sea level and not have to play at altitude in Pretoria or Jo'Burg, though that is balanced by having so few warm up games and those that were played were against inferior opposition.

A few points .. Gatland is being punted as the manager/coach/supremo for the next Lions tour. As Mrs Thatcher might have said 'no, no, no, no, no'. Let him go back to Wales and try his luck in the southern hemisphere with them.
    'Water boys' running on to the field every minute with instructions and advice. This needs to be stopped.
    At one point, on an occasion when the Lions were threatening the Boks line with a rolling maul, a SA female 'medic' was so close to the play whilst in the in goal area that I thought she was about to join in the Boks defensive line, just ridiculous and call it what it is, that is cheating. And if players are 'injured' or need new studs, shirts or jock straps, they should leave the field and return when or if they are able.

The refereeing was generally indifferent, but with so much going on during the games that was perhaps understandable.

So, sterile games played in sterile conditions with no crowds in attendance through Covid restrictions.
     I do now wonder if Lions tours are worth the hassle and in-fighting amongst the home unions to get their players selected. Whoever selects the squad will always be accused of bias towards players from their own country. Still, the SA RFU and the home unions will have made a few quid from this tour despite no spectators, sponsorship and TV rights will have seen to that, and THAT nowadays is what British and Irish Lions tours  are all about, show me the money