Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully his goal in the U23 friendly this week will be the boost he needs to kick on.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Smacks of a recruitment team and management team not being aligned on what is needed 
    Smacks of panic buying to me. 
    We tried to sign him for three transfer windows. 
    Yes, but we hadnt for some reason.....the fee being the main reason I believe. So it comes to deadline day & we panic because we are losing matches & someone (TS or  Adkins or who ever) decides that they must stop the rot.

If we had been after him for 18 months then why did we wait until Aug 31st & not buy him in June like we did with Stockley. Money obviously Was not the problem as we stumped up the £500k they wanted for him.
    He signed on August 12th.
    Still after the start of the season though

Indeed I imagine Crewe would rather have sorted it earlier in the window, if it was clear he would leave
    I did hear, during the summer, there was a player we had agreed a fee for but refused to come unless we matched his release clause.  I do wonder if it was Kirk and I do wonder if we actually did. 
    If a player has a release clause, you have to pay it if you want him early.
  • Options
    The fanfare around his signing was amplified by loads of teenage Charlton fans on Twitter who probably never watch Crewe Alexandra. There was nothing to suggest he’d be a world beater, the same way hardly anyone at this level is.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    The fanfare around his signing was amplified by loads of teenage Charlton fans on Twitter who probably never watch Crewe Alexandra. There was nothing to suggest he’d be a world beater, the same way hardly anyone at this level is.
    His stats?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Smacks of a recruitment team and management team not being aligned on what is needed 
    Yes, but we hadnt for some reason.....the fee being the main reason I believe. So it comes to deadline day & we panic because we are losing matches & someone (TS or  Adkins or who ever) decides that they must stop the rot.

If we had been after him for 18 months then why did we wait until Aug 31st & not buy him in June like we did with Stockley. Money obviously Was not the problem as we stumped up the £500k they wanted for him.
    That's not fair. Don't let the truth get in the way and spoil Golfie's little grumble. :smile:

Ooops. My bad.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    J BLOCK said:

Indeed I imagine Crewe would rather have sorted it earlier in the window, if it was clear he would leave
    I did hear, during the summer, there was a player we had agreed a fee for but refused to come unless we matched his release clause.  I do wonder if it was Kirk and I do wonder if we actually did. 
    Not if you agree a lower fee with the club.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Maybe we'd been told there was a national shortage of wingers so we immediately rushed out to fill up our "tank" of wingers, even though we had more than enough anyway?

We have 4 wingers now (Leko and CBT looking best So far) while lots of teams have one winger and use attacking full backs instead.  Charlie Kirk may adapt into more of a 10 or the role Lee(loanee) is playing at moment if he can sharpen up his finishing. Early doors and he could be a sharp signing. 

We have choices but when players hit form(ASAP) they keep the shirt unless 3 games in a week when the nearest player to emulate that player comes in.

Quantum mechanics and Football tactics are poles apart but sometimes in football you can go from A to C without going through B. As long as you are not just giving aimless balls to Stockley when double marked !
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    J BLOCK said:

You don't have to.  If a play has a release clause of 500k there is nothing to stop his club accepting a fee of 300k.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looked good. I don't think he likes to smash the ball. All gentle and soft touches. He could do well watching and modelling himself on Robert Pires and how he became more lethal in time.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    J BLOCK said:

You don't have to.  If a play has a release clause of 500k there is nothing to stop his club accepting a fee of 300k.
    You can haggle all summer over the fee, but the result is you don't get your player until the end of the window,instead of having a full preseason with him
  • Options
    In yesterday's big game, some great tracking back from Salah led to Liverpool's first goal

If he can do it, there's no excuse for lesser players
  • Options
    Going by what I've seen of him, Kirk is crap. Constant step overs which fool no-one, then ends up just playing it backwards. We start an attacking move and he just grinds it to a halt, sucking out all the momentum. All he wants to do is cut inside, yet he simply doesn't have the skill to beat his marker, not forgetting that he really doesn't fit into the current system. A dead rubber in my opinion. I'll wait to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding out much hope.......................
  • Options
    Needs to rebuild some confidence.
    Too predictable last night but felt he was isolated at times, especially with Purrington in the back 3.
    Unfortunately the needed support  didn’t come due to fatigue (I guess) from his team mates.

• Options
    He will need to totally change his game to fit a 3-5-2/3-1-4-2 or whatever we are recognising our current formation to be, out wide. His past record shows he is effective with a full back partner. He doesn't currently look to have the raw attributes or confidence to run a wing alone which looking at how good some of the wing backs/wide midfielders in this system are in top sides is a serious job (and most of them are converted full backs rather than converted wingers).

I feel he would be better off in the Elliott Lee role in the long term but the obvious issue with that is Lee is probably our best player (and we presumably want to keep him).
  • Options
    This guy is a dud signing. 
  • Options
    Looks like Ben Reeves - no end product and not that flashy either.
  • Options
    I don't want to get on the lad’s back, especially as he’s had a difficult time personally but I’ve seen absolutely nothing so far to suggest that he’s anything other than bang average at best. Particularly disappointing as he was the closest thing to a marquee signing that we had last window. A lot of money for a project.  I’ll keep hoping and wishing him the best but this has the same feeling as Ronnie Schwartz for me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    /Kap10 said:
    The guy has just list his dad, moved from up north to London, I am willing to write this season off for him. He has a positive history in L1 so willing to give him time to get over life changing events 
    Not going to argue with any of that. Look at Gilbey for an example of how things off the pitch can affect their form. 
  • Options
    I'll give him time. 

Adjusting his style, was a panic buy imo. 
  • Options
    Looks like Ben Reeves - no end product and not that flashy either.
    Absolute calumny, you take that back
  • Options
    Admittedly we havent seen anything to suggest why we tried so hard to sign him ( twice ) but he must have something otherwise why would we have done so. As I have said previously a lad that works for me played with him throughout their youth set up at crewe ( this lad got a career ending knee injury so was released at 18 ) according to him kirk when at it has all the talent in the world and can tear the opposition apart however when things get tough his head drops and doesnt have alot of fight. Maybe he needs a run of confidence games
  • Options
    On that subject he also claims Lowrey is another level
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Admittedly we havent seen anything to suggest why we tried so hard to sign him ( twice ) but he must have something otherwise why would we have done so. As I have said previously a lad that works for me played with him throughout their youth set up at crewe ( this lad got a career ending knee injury so was released at 18 ) according to him kirk when at it has all the talent in the world and can tear the opposition apart however when things get tough his head drops and doesnt have alot of fight. Maybe he needs a run of confidence games
    74 Goal interactions in 206 games isn't bad for any winger
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    74 Goal interactions in 206 games isn't bad for any winger
    I agree mate that's why I'm saying I think it's too early to say he is a dud! There is a player there we just need to get him playing and do it consistently 
  • Options
    I'll say it again: if Ben Reeves didn't have fitness issues he'd be comfortably a Championship player