Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    I was really hoping that he would come good but his performance or lack of it was the final straw. I don’t think he broke sweat even in this heat.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I blame Charlie Kirk for the entire result, useless shirker 
    I blame Charlie Kirk for the state the world is in, famine, drought and war. And Birmingham council's finances.
  • Options
    I blame Charlie Kirk for the state the world is in, famine, drought and war.
    You forgot Birmingham Council's finances
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He wasn't great tonight, but no better or worse than half the side. But as I said in the match thread people will bash him because it's the in vogue thing to do. I'm sure half of them just watch what he does over the 90 mins to try and pick out any and every negative. 
    Yes people are quick to criticise but he makes it so easy. He’s not a youngster so doesn’t get the inexperience let off. He strolls round doing very little and we don’t need enough of the few positives he does have. I don’t get why some people like you are so quick to defend him.  
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    I blame Charlie Kirk for the state the world is in, famine, drought and war.
    You forgot Birmingham Council's finances
    You're absolutely right. I've amended my post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all dream of a team of Charlie Kirks (in this competition please)
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He wasn't great tonight, but no better or worse than half the side. But as I said in the match thread people will bash him because it's the in vogue thing to do. I'm sure half of them just watch what he does over the 90 mins to try and pick out any and every negative. 
    Yes people are quick to criticise but he makes it so easy. He’s not a youngster so doesn’t get the inexperience let off. He strolls round doing very little and we don’t need enough of the few positives he does have. I don’t get why some people like you are so quick to defend him.  
    I don't think its a case of being quick to defend him

We lost 4-3 tonight... But he wasn't the worst player out there, he wasn't the sole reason for the loss, and was no more at fault for any of the goals, certainly no more than any of our other wide players.

If he'd literally given the opposition the ball, which set them up to score, or did a dodgy back pass then yeah I'd agree with comment picking him out tonight.

Had Dobson scored the chance at the end, Kirk would be walking off with an assist at the very least... On the other hand what did Tedic do, what did Taylor do, that helps them to stand out as Pros tonight, to avoid any complaints on their threads?
    I take the point but it was Tedic's debut and Taylor has barely played, Kirk is now approaching 50 appearances for the club. I get he is somewhat scapegoated but he's brought a lot of that on himself by just how poor he has been for us for 90% of the matches he's played. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

We lost 4-3 tonight... But he wasn't the worst player out there, he wasn't the sole reason for the loss, and was no more at fault for any of the goals, certainly no more than any of our other wide players.

If he'd literally given the opposition the ball, which set them up to score, or did a dodgy back pass then yeah I'd agree with comment picking him out tonight.

Had Dobson scored the chance at the end, Kirk would be walking off with an assist at the very least... On the other hand what did Tedic do, what did Taylor do, that helps them to stand out as Pros tonight, to avoid any complaints on their threads?
    I take the point but it was Tedic's debut and Taylor has barely played, Kirk is now approaching 50 appearances for the club. I get he is somewhat scapegoated but he's brought a lot of that on himself by just how poor he has been for us for 90% of the matches he's played. 
    Absolutely, don't get me wrong either... I certainly listen to Sage as well when he talks about Charlie's lack of effort, as he tends to be very much on the money about individuals both at the club, and outside.

Think on the long run its best for Kirk to move on, given his career here. But like with tonight, if we lose, and Charlie's played... the comments verge on meme territory
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Absolutely, don't get me wrong either... I certainly listen to Sage as well when he talks about Charlie's lack of effort, as he tends to be very much on the money about individuals both at the club, and outside.

Think on the long run its best for Kirk to move on, given his career here. But like with tonight, if we lose, and Charlie's played... the comments verge on meme territory
    see I disagree. Sometimes sure it's a little OTT, although not seen much of that tonight. But I just can't see how any kind of defence of Kirk is yeah he was crap but so were others. Whether he was the worst player or not (and he wasn't tonight), it shouldn't shield him from criticism. There's zero credit in the bank, I would never boo him or not want him to do well whilst he is in a Charlton shirt but there's very little chance he can turn his career round with us, and he doesn't seem to care. 
  • Options
    The modern day Paul Bacon
  • Options
    Thanks for the memories Charlie, but enough’s enough now I think.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Constantly stands in a marked position to avoid getting the ball and when he does he cuts into his right and plays backwards or sideways. Don't think he's taken a man on in his time at the club...
    To summarise: he’s cynically robbing a living with a smirk on his face shaming the shirt every time he puts it on 
    scumbag 
  • Options
    The modern day Paul Bacon
    Worse than Kirk IMO
  • Options
    Were ANY other clubs actually interested in him last week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He just doesn’t do anything. Ever. 
  • Options
    In a game like last night when we were playing a lot of raw youngsters you expect your more senior players to get you and them through it. You don't expect them to play on the same sort of level. Well I don't anyway. 
  • Options
    I’ll probably never understand it as I’ll never play professional football, but careers pass by so quickly.  I think all has been said about Kirk so need to add anything more, but is he thinking beyond 2025 which will come round soon enough.  He was young when we signed him, but will be 27 (I think) when his contract expires.  At which point, he’ll be on his last shot of a decent club/offer/chance, but this will be coming off the back of a 4 year spell with us where he was loaned out twice, and who knows how this season and next season will pan out.  

The Burton loan last year would’ve/should’ve been the wake up call and he should’ve gone up there and did everything he can to show what he’s about, or at least bust a gut and leave nothing on the table.

Based on what’s been said on here and the fact that he’s back here, it doesn’t seem that’s the case

obviously, things go on in people’s heads all the time, we have no understanding of that, but I do wonder to what extent the long term thought process is of some of these players.  

I don’t know if he’s on good money here, but I do know that the next move will not yield anything like that based on how’s it panned out for him during his time with us.
  • Options
    Come on Scotty beam him up ffs
  • Options
    Amazes me people are still defending his spiritless performances. He has been given so many chances, a player of his supposed caliber should be running rings round players in the pizza cup. Hope the new manager has a backbone and leaves him to train with the U21s and never gives him game time.
  • Options
    I'm sure I said when we signed kirk that we needed to sign his team mate Pickering if my memory is working or someone who would really get up and support him and have the engine to defend as well but essentially do a lot of running a bit like Wiggins used to do overlapping Jacko and taking a defender with him but not necessarily see the ball but give Kirk space to do his thing which is put balls into the box that Mandron used to attack for Crewe. We got him and didn't play to his strengths or try and accommodate him because we didn't have a full back in the squad like that which is weird when you think we paid a fee for him and probably a decent one too. Pickering might have been out of our price range and certainly him and Kirk together considering we also paid money for Jayesemi. 

I think a move down south was always going to be hard for him, he is a human being and a young one who had just lost his dad, to then move away from your family when you all would have needed one another emotionally and just hit the ground running at a club with very high expectations and not a huge deal of patience was a massive ask. I hope he can get a move and come good because there is absolutely a good player in there but I dont think we will see that player. Hope we do but I don't think he is happy and happy players play better 
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    sam3110 said:

see I disagree. Sometimes sure it's a little OTT, although not seen much of that tonight. But I just can't see how any kind of defence of Kirk is yeah he was crap but so were others. Whether he was the worst player or not (and he wasn't tonight), it shouldn't shield him from criticism. There's zero credit in the bank, I would never boo him or not want him to do well whilst he is in a Charlton shirt but there's very little chance he can turn his career round with us, and he doesn't seem to care. 
    If that criticism was kept to the Post Match Thread, then yeah I agree - But like with Morgan last season, his performances get mentioned on there, and then on his own thread, like he's being singled out... If similar was done after every poor performance by others, it wouldn't bother me so much.

Probably shouldn't bother me as much as it does regardless

But reminds me of the School Playground.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Carter has summed it up perfectly for me. I think there's a player there but I as much as I would love for him to come good with us I don't think it ever quite will. Would never go as far as bombing him out until January, with the amount of injuries we seem to get he'll be a useful player to have around and maybe a new manager will figure him out. 
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted sums it up perfectly. Loads of others were pretty poor.... (Roddy anyone?!) but they don't get their own thread started up. I doubt he will ever be near the first team in league matches, and we know he is available to leave. I am sure he would love to leave to get a fresh start (we have all been in jobs before where we are not 100% happy). But if he cant, then playing in a EFL cup game isn't exactly the end of the world.

I would argue we should be more concerned about the performances of the likes of Taylor, Tedic, Ness who are all likely to actually have a direct impact on our season! 

Rather than playground ganging up on someone who isn't even going to affect how well we do. There are more important things going on at our club than one player who will leave eventually. But whilst he is here, there is no need to make the guys life a misery.