Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Kirk (p67 - released by Crewe)

Comments

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    I finally gave up on Charlie last night, and he's the prime example of the Sandgaard era, loads spent badly 
    If Sandgaard had just listened to scouts with the money he spent we could have easily been in the Championship right now. 
    I mean presumably he did listen to Gallen given he'd wanted Kirk for a while.

But the general point is spot on - Sandgaard at the start at least was genuinely trying to do well and putting some money in, which we rarely have, and just did it so badly because of a failure to get some decent advice.
    I’ll stick up for TS here, he is not a “football” man, who was he supposed to go to for advice? Gallen was the incumbent at the time, blame him, not TS 
    He could and should have appointed a Chief Exec with football experience, and let them oversee the whole thing, not hope Gallen's list of ex-players and Crystal Palace rejects could come up trumps on its own.
    He openly said he didn't need to employ experienced football people because running a football club is easy. I wonder if he still thinks that ?  :D
  • Options
    Losing his dad was sad, but no worse than anybody else Losing their dad.
    It was about 2 years ago so we can't keep using it  as a reason for him playing shit.
    Out of order comment imo. You've got no idea what's going on in his personal life, none of us do. People process grief in different ways and it affects everyone differently. 

This isn't to absolve him of any blame, he's not currently meeting the standard required and a number of different managers and coaches have tried. Seems there must be something in training that managers see that means he does keep getting picked, perhaps it is mental but we can't say. To just assume that some people aren't affected more than others by the loss of their dad is a bit crass. 
  • Options
    When we had players like Lavelle they were clearly not good enough but at least they tried.
    Kirk shows no passion or effort,  a complete waste of space.
  • Options
    I don’t believe that Kirk doesn’t give a shit and is just going through the motions. That’s too simplistic an answer and one that I believe would be easily seen and called out by both the manager and his team mates. There’s something else happening here and I think it’s got everything to do with what’s going on between Charlie’s ears. Whatever it is has resulted in a player with some pedigree looking looking like player with absolutely no future in the game. I don’t think he can resolve whatever is wrong at Charlton now. It’s gone too far and he’s lost the entire fan base. Please let him move on in January and try and see if he can find himself at another club. Personally I hope he can.
    Met loads of people through working life who are happy to sit around all day and not contribute, while others want to get on if only to make the working day go faster. Don't see why it would be any different in professional football
  • Options
    I don’t believe that Kirk doesn’t give a shit and is just going through the motions. That’s too simplistic an answer and one that I believe would be easily seen and called out by both the manager and his team mates. There’s something else happening here and I think it’s got everything to do with what’s going on between Charlie’s ears. Whatever it is has resulted in a player with some pedigree looking looking like player with absolutely no future in the game. I don’t think he can resolve whatever is wrong at Charlton now. It’s gone too far and he’s lost the entire fan base. Please let him move on in January and try and see if he can find himself at another club. Personally I hope he can.
    He needs to go home or very close to it Shooters, and he needs to do it very soon if he has any chance of ressurecting his career. His performance yesterday showed a lack of belief and guile. He won't be the first to move down to London and fail, Francis Jeffers comes to mind and not in a good way. Money is not everything and come the summer he will enter the last year of his contract and if he is still at Charlton by that point then sadly I believe he will drop away from League football for good. 
  • Options
    If there is a MH issue (which I'm not disputing and I dont think its right to speculate on necassarily either) but then why on earth have multiple managers continued to select him/sent him out on loan etc etc? 

If you have someone with those kinds of issues then the club has a duty of care - not to just palm him off to another club - not to just expect the player to just carry on knowing the shit he will get (rightly or wrongly) when he clearly isn't at his best on the pitch and hasn't been for a few years.

It just doesn't 100% sit right with me at all and to be honest it doesn't entirely ring true to me that this is the issue.  I also would hope that MA wouldn't allude to him in the way he did in the post match interview last night if there was a known MH issue (which it would HAVE to be known about surely within the management team?)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:
    It was about 2 years ago so we can't keep using it  as a reason for him playing shit.
    Out of order comment imo. You've got no idea what's going on in his personal life, none of us do. People process grief in different ways and it affects everyone differently. 

This isn't to absolve him of any blame, he's not currently meeting the standard required and a number of different managers and coaches have tried. Seems there must be something in training that managers see that means he does keep getting picked, perhaps it is mental but we can't say. To just assume that some people aren't affected more than others by the loss of their dad is a bit crass. 
    Tbh, it would explain why he was once a decent player and now appears to be struggling. Never know what others are going through and it don't necessarily have to have anything to do with him losing a parent.....

Not sure what position that puts the Club and supporters in, but obviously the blokes mental health should be considered amongst all this
    It would but equally we don't know so can't speculate. However, if he is going through stuff to do with the loss of his dad I think it's very poor taste from the other poster to suggest that he needs to get over it as it was 2 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:
    I finally gave up on Charlie last night, and he's the prime example of the Sandgaard era, loads spent badly 
    If Sandgaard had just listened to scouts with the money he spent we could have easily been in the Championship right now. 

But the general point is spot on - Sandgaard at the start at least was genuinely trying to do well and putting some money in, which we rarely have, and just did it so badly because of a failure to get some decent advice.
    I’ll stick up for TS here, he is not a “football” man, who was he supposed to go to for advice? Gallen was the incumbent at the time, blame him, not TS 
    I'd blame him for Aneke as well.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Perhaps he should have stayed with Crewe and not signed a bumper increase on his salary.
    Staying with Crewe would have meant being with his loved ones.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Gribbo said:
    colthe3rd said:

Tbh, it would explain why he was once a decent player and now appears to be struggling. Never know what others are going through and it don't necessarily have to have anything to do with him losing a parent.....

Not sure what position that puts the Club and supporters in, but obviously the blokes mental health should be considered amongst all this
    It would but equally we don't know so can't speculate. However, if he is going through stuff to do with the loss of his dad I think it's very poor taste from the other poster to suggest that he needs to get over it as it was 2 years ago.
    When I have had close members of family passing away, I have found occupying myself with work has helped take my mind off of things.
    As an aside, I do not think @blackpool72 has been rude.
  • Options
    I think last night burned any bridges Kirk had with Appleton too. He hinted as much and included a few others. I feel for Kirk. Somethings gone horribly wrong for him and I’m sure his life is pretty miserable as far as his football goes. Even if we have to pay all his wages I think it makes sense to loan him out in January. I really don’t see the club paying up his contract. He’s floundering at Charlton and for his sake needs to get away. I know I keep saying it but who scouted him and thought paying serious money for league one. 
    Think the Black Box was in beta mode at the time...
  • Options
    He just needs to move on from Charlton, it just hasn't worked out for him here. Speculating about possible mental health issues etc doesn't help anyone 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

I think you need to balance that against the good signings he did pick out. It's also worth looking back at Kirk stats before joining us, highly rated as a playmaker with quite a few clubs chasing his signature at the time. What went wrong ? 
  • Options
    Some players must regret joining Charlton when their careers regress as his has. I'm not apportioning blame for that, but Kirk doesn't perform at the required level, so for that reason alone, without conducting some half arsed psycho analysis on him, he needs to move on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I do wonder since he obviously did well at Crewe and obviously has an afffinity there why they haven't seemingly come in for him back to be honest? we can't seriously be still clinging on for money back surely? And he can't seriously be expecting to not have to take a pay cut to stay in the game and rebuild. Is it really worth one more year at good money but become a pariah that potentially either goes back to non league or gives up entirely and has to find a new career?
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    DA9 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Rothko said:

I think you need to balance that against the good signings he did pick out. It's also worth looking back at Kirk stats before joining us, highly rated as a playmaker with quite a few clubs chasing his signature at the time. What went wrong ? 
    Long out of credit was Gallen.
    Aneke has to be the most ridiculous signing in our history.
    I'd like to know how many people made money out of this signing.
    As for Kirk, he was meant to be a good signing, some may say he's lethargic and disinterested, some can say he's lazy. Either way, it's not worked and he will probably sit tight on his contract, which I do not have too much of a problem with tbf.
  • Options
    I’m just glad that now everyone can see what I’ve been saying about him for a long time. He’s an actual fraud. Each and every player for Cray Valley PM are better than him, I am genuinely in belief of that. If he ever plays for us again, that’ll tell you everything you need to know about where we are and where we are heading as a club. Literally play anyone else.
  • Options
    The comments RE his dad I don’t think are fair. He might still be really struggling, and that might be the spark in his life that he no longer has.

However, he’s had so many opportunities and no matter what is going on, you put in effort. He’s not got you the attitude, he has a serious and pathetic lack of effort, lack of work-rate, and lack basic knowledge of the game. And those, as well as being a generally poor footballer, is why he’s never going to make it and why he’s stealing a living.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I've been quite critical of Kirk, but I'm currently working with an Charlton player who reckons that he's always been a quality player when he's played against him, and he's pretty emphatic about it. 🤷‍♂️ 
    How shit is this one then…😬

• Options
    Did he even make one tackle all game?
    He just looks completely uninterested.
    I don't ever want to see him in a Charlton shirt again.
  • Options
    Did he even make one tackle all game?
    He just looks completely uninterested.
    I don't ever want to see him in a Charlton shirt again.
    I'm not sure he's made one tackle since he's been here.