Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

English Right Backs

The competition we’re going to have over the next five years is insane. 

Heard  Perry Groves on the radio yesterday saying Tino Livromento, the 18yr old Southampton have just taken off Chelsea, was the best debut by a young player he’s ever seen. Tanganga was also good for Spurs yesterday.

We’ll soon have to consider

Walker
Trippier
James
Trent-Arnold
Wan-Bissaka 
Lamptey 
Livromento
Tanganga

unbelievable stock of talent 

Comments

• Max Aarons too
  • Missed off Walker-Peters from that list too, he's got everything.

And Matty Cash too.  Was excellent for Villa last season.
  • The competition we’re going to have over the next five years is insane. 

Heard  Perry Groves on the radio yesterday saying Tino Livromento, the 18yr old Southampton have just taken off Chelsea, was the best debut by a young player he’s ever seen. Tanganga was also good for Spurs yesterday.

We’ll soon have to consider

Walker
    Trippier
    James
    Trent-Arnold
    Wan-Bissaka 
    Lamptey 
    Livromento
    Tanganga

unbelievable stock of talent 
    Pretty sure you can rule both of those out after the 2022 World cup, simply on the basis that i think you'd have to then shift the focus to younger players for 2024.
  • On the subject of Livramento, yet more great business from Chelsea. He's always been touted as one of their best youth prospects and just won their academy POTY, but was never going to play when they have Azpilicueta and James and he wouldn't sign a new contract.

So now they get a transfer fee, see how he gets on for 2 years and then if he does well (which is likely given his talent) they have a buy-back clause for what will be a bargain 35m in 2023.

Chelsea's academy is crazy. James 21, Lamptey 20, Livramento 18. Those 3 just for one position.
  • Tanganga was brilliant yesterday. 
    I think he is naturally a CB who has only played RB for the first team. Even more impressive really. 

Hopefully he moves into the middle going forward as we could use some good CBs at international level.
  • You broke my heart John Humphrey, you broke my heart.
  • Tanganga was brilliant yesterday. 
    I think he is naturally a CB who has only played RB for the first team. Even more impressive really. 

Hopefully he moves into the middle going forward as we could use some good CBs at international level.
    Correct.  Thats where he sees his best position too but tellingly, he said he'll play anywhere to get in the team.  Love that attitude.  So Professional.
  • Sponsored links:

• To be fair right back is the easiest position to play in a team

everyone knows if you are short of players, you put your mates mate (who is turning out for you as a favour) in at right back.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Missed off Walker-Peters from that list too, he's got everything.

And Matty Cash too.  Was excellent for Villa last season.
    Walker-Peters is now behind Livramento at Soton, an interesting decision by them to sign another RB when their squad to me looks far weaker elsewhere

James Justin is another player who's primarily a RB. As he can play LB as well, that makes him very useful for a tournament squad, and he was getting rave reviews before his injury
  • Nobody's mentioned Simon Francis 
  • MrOneLung said:
    To be fair right back is the easiest position to play in a team

everyone knows if you are short of players, you put your mates mate (who is turning out for you as a favour) in at right back.
    Haha very true at the lowest levels. I only played “kick about” 11 aside games as an adult but almost all the regulars had a game at full back at some point. Lost count of how many mates mates were put there to make up the numbers. Opposition teams generally had weaker players there or second choice wingers.
  • On the subject of Livramento, yet more great business from Chelsea. He's always been touted as one of their best youth prospects and just won their academy POTY, but was never going to play when they have Azpilicueta and James and he wouldn't sign a new contract.

So now they get a transfer fee, see how he gets on for 2 years and then if he does well (which is likely given his talent) they have a buy-back clause for what will be a bargain 35m in 2023.

Chelsea's academy is crazy. James 21, Lamptey 20, Livramento 18. Those 3 just for one position.
    It'll be interesting to see what happens with Livramento. Azpilicueta is 32 this month and while he seems like the kind of player who will still be useful aged 36 there's definitely a space appearing on that right hand side for Chelsea. James has it down at the moment but you do also get the feeling Tuchel doesn't massively love him there and would prefer to convert him to a CB. It's all going to come down to timing for Livramento. Chelsea need him to hit some real form just as Azpilicueta drops off, not before and not after as otherwise Livramneto will go elsewhere. If he's too quick Chelsea will miss out and if he takes too long Chelsea will just sign someone more ready-made. This is the inevitable next step in the Chelsea loan policy, if everything goes to plan then this sale is basically just a high price (but good value) daycare

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Livramento. Azpilicueta is 32 this month and while he seems like the kind of player who will still be useful aged 36 there's definitely a space appearing on that right hand side for Chelsea. James has it down at the moment but you do also get the feeling Tuchel doesn't massively love him there and would prefer to convert him to a CB. It's all going to come down to timing for Livramento. Chelsea need him to hit some real form just as Azpilicueta drops off, not before and not after as otherwise Livramneto will go elsewhere. If he's too quick Chelsea will miss out and if he takes too long Chelsea will just sign someone more ready-made. This is the inevitable next step in the Chelsea loan policy, if everything goes to plan then this sale is basically just a high price (but good value) daycare
    Azpilicueta can also play as a right sided CB in a 3, Chalobah played in that position on Saturday as a CB with a licence to get forward down the right

I don't think it can be classified as great business. I know they had issues with the contract but not sure having the option to buy a player for 30 million more than you sold him for could ever be that good of a deal. 

I don't think it can be classified as great business. I know they had issues with the contract but not sure having the option to buy a player for 30 million more than you sold him for could ever be that good of a deal. 
    Not on the face of it but a "just under world class" full back goes for North of 50 Mill these days so in that regard 30 is a bargain. 
  • James Justin too when he's back from injury
  • edited August 2021
    MrOneLung said:

Correct.

Where would amateur football be without the 'mates mate'?

Generally such players "once had a trial with Notts County" and usually arrive looking scruffy, hungover and with a fag on.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't see what the problem is. 

Just play one at left back, one at centre half, one in midfield and one on each wing. 

Obviously we would then need a left back to cover the right back position.

Why not? He didn't want to sign a new contract as he knew he wouldn't play.

So Chelsea get a fee for him, and then a cheap (by todays standards) buy back clause inserted. If he does well they can sign a really good 20 year old homegrown English right back for 35m in summer 2023.

In a world where any half decent English player having one good PL season (Wan Bissaka & White) goes for 50m, i think 35m would be considered a great deal. If he doesn't progress then they've lost nothing.
  • Dave Rudd said:
    MrOneLung said:

Correct.

Where would amateur football be without the 'mates mate'?

Generally such players "once had a trial with Notts County" and usually arrive looking scruffy, hungover and with a fag on.
    "he had county trials" was what I always heard as a kid. I never met anyone that actually got through the trials, or played for the county, but met plenty that had trials...

So Chelsea get a fee for him, and then a cheap (by todays standards) buy back clause inserted. If he does well they can sign a really good 20 year old homegrown English right back for 35m in summer 2023.

In a world where any half decent English player having one good PL season (Wan Bissaka & White) goes for 50m, i think 35m would be considered a great deal. If he doesn't progress then they've lost nothing.
    I don't think it's great business because they'd have lost a lot of money on him, just like they have with Matic and Lukaku. 

Although I have changed my mind slightly, because apparantly the buy back is 25, not 35. 
  • Is that buy back compulsory? if Chelsea want him back then that's it Southampton have no say in the matter? 
  • iaitch said:
    Is that buy back compulsory? if Chelsea want him back then that's it Southampton have no say in the matter? 

correct, any bid of that amount from Chelsea would be automatically accepted as it's in the contract, the player could still tell them to get bent though

I don't think it's great business because they'd have lost a lot of money on him, just like they have with Matic and Lukaku. 

Although I have changed my mind slightly, because apparantly the buy back is 25, not 35. 
    The player was going anyway, he wouldn't sign a new deal. At least this way they've guaranteed they can get him back fairly cheaply if he performs. 

To be honest, i've seen figures ranging from 25-40m on the buy back, so not totally sure.