Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deji Contract ?

2»

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I’m sure he will have been offered a pro deal but chances are, he and our other hot prospects will be well aware of the interest anc potential deals on offer from other clubs and will delay tying themselves down - what we can do is try anc give them as much first team training and game time as possible to try anc convince them this is the right place to develop as quickly as possible 
    I think that's the wrong way around. Playing for the first team should be dependant on signing a contract beforehand. The club has almost no leverage otherwise. 
    Then they just won’t sign - when they are being chased by other clubs they are promised the earth regarding first team chances but if they are actually getting that here it is a huge draw to stay here rather than gambling they may get a chance elsewhere 
    There are obvious exceptions but most of our young players who've been poached on the cheap only got on the radar of bigger clubs because they got a crack in our first team. If youngsters refuse to accept that first team football involves a quid pro quo between themselves and the club they can foxtrot Oscar as far as I'm concerned.
    I don’t disagree but  don’t think clubs only become aware of these players when they play in the first team - scouts are crawling all over the u23 and academy leagues and each club will know exactly who is doing what did who - even more so if they are in the England squads 
  • Apart from Defoe, is there any other player that left us before signing a pro deal and then went on to be successful? ............. stand by for a long list that I cannot remember. 
  • Jordan Ibe and kasey Palmer have had their moments and done very well financially.
  • The kid who went to benfica will likely have a top career - I’m sure there will be loads but don’t really follow it but have quite a few friends with kids that age at clubs now so understanding the situation a bit more recently 
  • DOUCHER said:
    The kid who went to benfica will likely have a top career - I’m sure there will be loads but don’t really follow it but have quite a few friends with kids that age at clubs now so understanding the situation a bit more recently 
    He's at Brighton now
  • Jordan Zemura is 21 and has broken into Bournemouth’s first team, though I think he may have been a pro for a year or so.
  • Scoham said:
    Jordan Zemura is 21 and has broken into Bournemouth’s first team, though I think he may have been a pro for a year or so.
    And in this weeks EFL team of the week. 
  • se9addick said:
    Offer him a contract now whilst we have (some) leverage, and make it a good offer.
    We may well have already offered him a contract but what leverage do we have? The kid and his agent hold all the cards.
  • se9addick said:
    Offer him a contract now whilst we have (some) leverage, and make it a good offer.
    We may well have already offered him a contract but what leverage do we have? The kid and his agent hold all the cards.
    They’ll be in an even stronger position is six months time when his contract is almost up and he’s made 20 first team appearances. 

He’ll still get a deal at a big club whether he plays or not this season, but he’ll have a bigger market, and be able to command a better contract if plays a significant part of the season for Charlton. Thats the limited leverage we have now that we won’t in a few months. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Looks like he's going to be a top player, reading on here I gather he's not signed a pro contract?
    The. Club will know how good he is and have surely offered him one.

Makes me sad when talented young players don't want to sign for their home club.

• Scoham said:
    I don’t think many have left that early.

Owen Price went to Spurs around the time Defoe left and had a career in non-league.

Kasey Palmer has been a squad player in the Championship for a while now.

Timmy Abraham is still at Fulham and continues to be loaned out, currently with Newport in L2. Still only 20 so too early to write him off.

Largie Ramazani is the same age and with Almeria in Spain, last season he played some games in the second tier and for their B team in the 4th tier.

Others less successful have been Sean McGinty, who’s played in the lower leagues and spent the last few years in the Scottish second tier. Goalkeeper Ryan Huddart went to Arsenal and then played in the National League for a bit, now seems to be a free agent.

Anyone I’ve missed? Probably some not so obvious who left at a younger age.
    Semi ajayi
  • Sarmiento. Went to Benfica and now back in the U.K. playing for Brighton U23s..
  • Scoham said:
    I don’t think many have left that early.

Owen Price went to Spurs around the time Defoe left and had a career in non-league.

Kasey Palmer has been a squad player in the Championship for a while now.

Timmy Abraham is still at Fulham and continues to be loaned out, currently with Newport in L2. Still only 20 so too early to write him off.

Largie Ramazani is the same age and with Almeria in Spain, last season he played some games in the second tier and for their B team in the 4th tier.

Others less successful have been Sean McGinty, who’s played in the lower leagues and spent the last few years in the Scottish second tier. Goalkeeper Ryan Huddart went to Arsenal and then played in the National League for a bit, now seems to be a free agent.

Anyone I’ve missed? Probably some not so obvious who left at a younger age.
    Semi ajayi
    He signed pro and left when he was 19.

Must be one of our biggest mistakes, I think it was said we only offered him a further six months. Arsenal took him on trial and gave him a longer deal.

It was the summer we signed Church and Sordell right before the season started, so we were trying to save money wherever we could. RD then took over at the end of the year.
  • Iirc the rumour was that we were skint and made the decision to give Kevin Feely a contract rather than Ajayi (who as Scoham says was only offered 6m) as Feely was seen as the better prospect at the time and we could only afford one of them.  
  • And Feely retired within a couple of years and now plays Gaelic football!
  • Will be amazed if he’s still in a Charlton shirt by the time he turns 20
  • I would be totally gutted if we lose Deji. Surely if we are serious about climbing the leagues then he is the type of youngster that we should literally be pulling up trees to try and keep. 
    I know that nothing is set in stone but at 17 the kid looks top class.
  • Seeing the emergence of Burstow who we recently tied to a pro deal, makes me think that Deji is considering his options as he's been around the first team since June and as far as i'm aware hasn't signed anything.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    cafcfan said:
    Does illustrate the point that it's not just a case of "offer pro contract, pro contract signed, job done." Too many agents are chasing easy/quick money rather than actually doing the job of looking for their players best prospects long term.

No question that we should get Deji on a long term contract ASAP but I think that's been the aim for a while, not a lack of desire on the club's part.
    It's the conflict of interest.  In whoms interest was it to move that player to Fulham.  The agents obviously.  The player should pay the agent if he employs him, no one else. Ever. 
  • in all honesty what young player would want to sign a long term contract at Charlton at present?
  • in all honesty what young player would want to sign a long term contract at Charlton at present?
    Someone who thought that we are so shite that he is likely to get game time?
  • McCartney said:
    Was it Brentford who said as part of their scouting they read fans forums.
    Personally I think he's looked way out of his depth and think young Roddy has a better future.
    Yeah, that Watson fellas got at least another 5 years in his legs.
    am I living on another planet? 

What’s with all the bedwetting!

why wouldn’t an 17/18yo want to sign for Charlton, given that they have come through the academy and have been rewarded with first team games and hopefully a positive contract!?

bizarre 
  • He should take a leaf out of Joe Gomez's book and sign a contract and establish himself and wait for a big money move.......surely the agent can see the wisdom in that

Why not.  State of our team currently you would be highly likely to get game time early and if you were any good you would be off to the PL at the next transfer window anyway.