Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I spy Addicks

I always love seeing someone in a Charlton shirt when I'm not expecting it.  Perhaps somewhere to log sightings...

My most recent:-

26th August 2021 - Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (Back of shirt - "Shane 12". I think they sort of heard my "come on you reds"...)

About this time last year, son, mum and dad (son in shirt) queuing for a burger at Five Guys in West Quay, Southampton.

Comments

• Options
    On TV last Saturday, 11 of them, though didn’t appear they were aware of each other 
    I'm assuming you were expecting to see them there though  ;)
  • Options
    On TV last Saturday, 11 of them, though didn’t appear they were aware of each other 
    I thought they 'didn't turn up'?!
  • Options
    Indeed, though many of them not for much longer!
  • Options
    Boot fair in Norwich last Sunday. My two young grand kids were very excited to see a guy in the Charlton away shirt. Yep I am  always lifted to see a Charlton shirt in Norfolk. 
  • Options
    I spotted one near the opposition goal last week - I was not expecting that at all. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Boot fair in Norwich last Sunday. My two young grand kids were very excited to see a guy in the Charlton away shirt. Yep I am  always lifted to see a Charlton shirt in Norfolk. 
    Perhaps it was Nigel Adkins trying to sell Schwartz.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Not a shirt sighting, but I spotted a Charlton car sticker in the back of a car driving along the CV715 in the Orba Valley in a quiet backwater in Spain. 

Hola fellow Addick.
    Another car nicked from around Makro's Charlton and sent abroad.
  • Options
    I spotted one near the opposition goal last week - I was not expecting that at all. 
    I think that was a pigeon.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I sat next to one on a flight back from Kenya about 15 years ago,

And I yet another, not unexpectedly on a train to LGW to get the flight for Op Riverside (not sure if that was what it was called but you'll know what I mean) who had just got back from the DRC and had been in the bar drinking with my colleague there the week before.

I was also surprised to see a sticker in the back of a car where my aunt and uncle lived in Darras Hall, Ponteland - very much Newcastle territory and where a lot of the players live (in the big houses, not in their road!)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I got pulled up walking round Ardingly Antiques Fair with a Charlton brolly once. Bloke come up to me and said "I'm Charlton", followed by an awkward 5 seconds silence, before we both carried on our way
    Surely “come on you reds” is the correct greeting whenever you see another Charlton fan (followed by the awkward silence)!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    I got pulled up walking round Ardingly Antiques Fair with a Charlton brolly once. Bloke come up to me and said "I'm Charlton", followed by an awkward 5 seconds silence, before we both carried on our way
    Surely “come on you reds” is the correct greeting whenever you see another Charlton fan (followed by the awkward silence)!
    I always say 'Up The Addicks !!'
  • Options
    a couple of weeks after the 4-2 win at Highbury (which I missed as we were on a flight to Melbourne at the time) I bumped into a fellow Addick in Adelaide Cathedral. Turned out they had shown the Arsenal game again just the night before as it was an international week and I'd missed it again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bumped into a couple of supporters staying in the same hotel as us in Marmaris Turkey quite a few years back.
  • Options
    Sitting about 10 years ago with my niece and with my legs dangling over this small bridge crabbing on a remote bit of St Helen’s Isle of Wight (actually called mill wall). Not seen another person for about half hour and then this bloke walks behind us and goes “your name xxxxx? You drink in the Liberal Club before games, don’t ya?’  

• Options
    Sitting about 10 years ago with my niece and with my legs dangling over this small bridge crabbing on a remote bit of St Helen’s Isle of Wight (actually called mill wall). Not seen another person for about half hour and then this bloke walks behind us and goes “your name xxxxx? You drink in the Liberal Club before games, don’t ya?’  

I think there's quite a healthy contingent of Charlton over there mate 
  • Options
    I always love seeing someone in a Charlton shirt when I'm not expecting it.  Perhaps somewhere to log sightings...

My most recent:-

26th August 2021 - Portsmouth Historic Dockyard (Back of shirt - "Shane 12". I think they sort of heard my "come on you reds"...)

About this time last year, son, mum and dad (son in shirt) queuing for a burger at Five Guys in West Quay, Southampton.
    There's a few of us down this way.
  • Options
    AFKA's story reminds me of one about my mum. Not necessarily Charlton related, more a "small world" story. 

When my aunt passed away, my uncle decided to buy himself a sailing boat as it was something he'd always wanted. One time he asked if my mum and her husband fancied a week in the Lake District with the intention on taking his boat. Mum agreed and off they went. On one of the first days there, mum was sat on the jetty reading a book, while my uncle and mums husband were out on the boat, not a soul about, when a family walked up. It was an elderly couple with adult son or daughter who had learning difficulties, anyway, mum started talking to them and it turned out they were from Bexleyheath (mum lived in Mottingham at the time and uncle was Barnehurst). If that weren't strange enough, on the way home a week or so later, they pulled into the services around the Midlands area, and as they walked in, the very same family were walking out
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    In our Premiership days, I once saw a young lady wearing a Charlton shirt in a market area of a town called Klang (it might ring a bell) in Malaysia. I had to go over to her and ask her how long she had supported Charlton. She looked at me blankly for a second and then said "Oh, very cheap in market. I like red". I fancy that she knew nothing about Charlton except, perhaps, that Charlton wear red and their fake replica shirts were a lot cheaper in the market than Man Utd.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    scaffold truck drove past my flat in Hove with a large Charlton sign above the dashboard, looking from above obvs
  • Options
    In our Premiership days, I once saw a young lady wearing a Charlton shirt in a market area of a town called Klang (it might ring a bell) in Malaysia. I had to go over to her and ask her how long she had supported Charlton. She looked at me blankly for a second and then said "Oh, very cheap in market. I like red". I fancy that she knew nothing about Charlton except, perhaps, that Charlton wear red and their fake replica shirts were a lot cheaper in the market than Man Utd.

Sadly you can only give one LOL - I'd like to give a second LOL for the very good bell pun - I think you may have used that one before but it was very appealing. 
  • Options
    I bumped into someone in Looe about a month ago - he had a tattoo of the crest on his calf.  made myself known as an Addick 😀

when I was a kid I was in Turkey on holiday.  I was on a Charlton towel and a chap came up and spoke to my old man about it…turns out it was Richard Collins the former director 

finally about 2 years ago in Disneyworld I saw a lad in a Charlton shirt.  I wandered up and said “We want Roland Out”
    his face was a bit confused at first 😃😃
  • Options
    Nairobi Airport, 1987.