Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    Managed to avoid the result and just watched the re-run on SuperSport Tennis.

Amazing talent who seems completely unfazed by everything going on around here. Long may it continue. She's a breath of fresh air.
    I reckon her Wimbledon 'problem' has actually done her a power of good .. she now appears to have a lovely approachable and eloquent persona that lies on top of a new found ice cold steely temperament and will to win .. let's hope she can remain serene and focused as her career develops .. as ever, we will see
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I make it that Emma Raducanu has played 99 games to Fernandez's 175 too (including 5 tie-breaks), you'd hope Emma Raducanu may be fresher... though maybe Fernandez will be better placed if its a 3 setter.

Edit:  Although, thinking about it, I'm forgetting qualifying!  Raducanu has played 152 games inc qualifying, but obviously spread more than Fernandez's games.
  • Options
    I make it that Emma Raducanu has played 99 games to Fernandez's 175 too (including 5 tie-breaks), you'd hope Emma may be fresher... though maybe Fernandez will be better placed if its a 3 setter.

Although, thinking about it, I'm forgetting qualifying!
    I posted this above on page 10 .. I reckon they will both be well rested and ready to rumble

QUOTE .. Raducanu and Fernandez met each other for the first time when they were both playing in under-12 tournaments and bonded over their shared connection to Canada. On Saturday, they will share a court for the first time in a tour-level match.

They did play, however, in the Wimbledon junior tournament's second round in 2018.

Raducanu won that one. Three years later, they'll play again — on a grander stage and with much, much more at stake. UNQUOTE

Emma might have the old psychological advantage having won their most recent 'important' match albeit 3 years ago .. and Fernandez will be favourite with all the pressure and weight of expectation that brings
  • Options
    I make it that Emma Raducanu has played 99 games to Fernandez's 175 too (including 5 tie-breaks), you'd hope Emma may be fresher... though maybe Fernandez will be better placed if its a 3 setter.

I posted this above on page 10 .. I reckon they will both be well rested and ready to rumble

QUOTE .. Raducanu and Fernandez met each other for the first time when they were both playing in under-12 tournaments and bonded over their shared connection to Canada. On Saturday, they will share a court for the first time in a tour-level match.

They did play, however, in the Wimbledon junior tournament's second round in 2018.

Raducanu won that one. Three years later, they'll play again — on a grander stage and with much, much more at stake. UNQUOTE

Emma might have the old psychological advantage having won their most recent 'important' match albeit 3 years ago .. and Fernandez will be favourite with all the pressure and weight of expectation that brings
    Must have missed it between you and Addickted flirting!!
  • Options
    I quickly Googled Raducanu's senior record and I was surprised to learn that she's never even won a challenger event up to this point.
  • Options
    I can't imagine Emma played that many junior games anyway, when compared to most Tennis teenagers, not if you're full time at school doing A levels!

That's what makes her success even more astonishing. Coco Gauff was meant to be the next big thing, and I'm sure she still will be very successful, but she's been fully dedicated to tennis for years, having home schooling for her education
  • Options
    I can't imagine Emma played that many junior games anyway, when compared to most Tennis teenagers, not if you're full time at school doing A levels!

That's what makes her success even more astonishing. Coco Gauff was meant to be the next big thing, and I'm sure she still will be very successful, but she's been fully dedicated to tennis for years, having home schooling for her education
    exactly .. seems that all the pressure exerted on some young players can lead to a rocket rise followed by a falling burn out (excuse the mixed metaphors) .. is Osaka another example ? ..  Emma's parents and advisers have perhaps got it just right .. keep up the tennis skills with no real pressure attached, get the education out the way and then go for it
  • Options
    Fantastic so proud of her.
  • Options

exactly .. seems that all the pressure exerted on some young players can lead to a rocket rise followed by a falling burn out (excuse the mixed metaphors) .. is Osaka another example ? ..  Emma's parents and advisers have perhaps got it just right .. keep up the tennis skills with no real pressure attached, get the education out the way and then go for it
    Indeed it shows a different path for young tennis players, especially on the women's side

With lots of players playing on well into their 30s, why throw everything into tennis at the age of 12? 
  • Options
    The scramble at Nike to get Raducanu on a longer bigger deal must be a sight to see
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do we even need a SPOTY thread for 2021 now - even in an Olympic year?
  • Options

Not according to Bob... 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cori "Coco" Gauff is still only 17 and is through to the semi final of the Ladies doubles with her 19 year old USA partner Caty McNally. 
    Teenagers are everywhere in the Woman's game.

In comparison to Coco, both Raducanu and Fernandez have come into this tournament under the radar. A qualifier and a non seed against the high profile Gauff.

Coco will wish it was her in the final but will be pleased that two other teenagers can take some of the tennis hype and she can try to get further than the quarters in her fledgling singles career.

Coco is another awesome talent who will if she stays fit and hungry ( despite having millions of dollars) be a contender for years to come. 
  • Options
    I think she'll win. After all, her opponent's only a teenager. 
  • Options
    Anyone think that Roger Federer, when he realises that the two US Open Ladies finalists were ten and eight months old respectively when he first won Wimbledon, will now feel somewhat old?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Away from the singles, there will be British success in the men's doubles, as Jamie Murray goes against Joe Salisbury in the final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/58507189
    Ram/Salisbury currently a break up in the deciding set against Murray/Soares.

R/S 3-6 6-2 4-2 M/S
  • Options
    Salisbury wins the battle of the Brits

England beat  Scotland again  ;)
  • Options
    Why is the men's doubles only the best of 3?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    The only downside to having two teenagers in the final is the checking of their phones every two games.
    And when the umpire tells them to get off their phones and play tennis, they will say ‘I hate you - you’re the wooorst umpire eeeevvvver!’ Before storming off to their bedroom to listen to music at an extortionate level to make a point.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The finalists have met once before. Doubt you can read too much into it but a 15 year old Raducanu beat 15 year old Fernandez in the Wimbledon Juniors second round back in 2018.

Raducanu later lost in the quarter finals of that tournament against a 17 year old Iga Swiatek. After beating Raducanu, Swiatek went on to win the Wimbledon junior title that year.

Even more impressive, fast forward to 2021 and Swiatek is now world no. 7 and won the French Open in 2020.

One of situations where you read the form lines and think perhaps this adds up. Are these two teenagers here to stay on the WTA tour?
  • Options
    And why is it played on a Friday afternoon?
  • Options
    Medvedev beats Auger-Aliassime 6-4 7-5 6-2.

Djokovic v Zverev on court later
  • Options
    Don’t presume Wimbledon is the standard for doubles 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Don’t presume Wimbledon is the standard for doubles 
    Still bizarre. It's not even Friday evening
  • Options

Djokovic wins a five setter.

4-6 6-2 6-4 4-6 6-2
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Joe Salisbury having an excellent week and is into another final. This time with Desirae Krawczyk of the US in the mixed doubles. They are second seeds and are up against unseeded opponents Arevalo & Olmos.

Their match starts at 6pm U.K. time, ahead of the women’s final starting at 9pm U.K. time.
  • Options

Djokovic wins a five setter.

4-6 6-2 6-4 4-6 6-2
    One match away from surpassing Federer and Nadal.

27-0 run in grand slams this year. His record from Wimbledon 2018 is 79-4 and one of those 4 he lost because he was disqualified. A quite ridiculous run of form.