Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

US Open 2021

Comments

• Options
    6-2 6-1. Blew away Rogers who just came off a win against the No. 1 seed. Great stuff.

Next up, Belinda Bencic. Tokyo gold medallist. 
    Bencic will be another level, high ranked and really in-form.

Would be amazing if Emma could do it.
  • Options
    Yes if she can get past Bencic, believe the hype.
  • Options
    I anticipate a couple of very late nights later this week!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    She can’t win the whole thing can she?
    Probably not this year but hopefully one day; looks an amazing prospect - I'm trying to manage my expectations!  Come on Emma!
  • Options
    Does anyone know what football team she supports?
  • Options
    Well she was wearing Romanian colours
  • Options
    Does anyone know what football team she supports?
    She’s from Bromley a palace area 
  • Options
    Well she was wearing Romanian colours
    Been seen in an England shirt too - not sure about club though
  • Options
    Anyone see that bird wearing the ‘bare’ minimum with her fake bangers popping out of her bra as she got a selfie, so bizarre 
  • Options
    Given her lack of experience her progress this year has been amazing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Bloody hell, forgot to watch this and it was over before I remembered!

18 year old rookies, especially British ones, aren't meant to blitz their way through qualifiers and 4 rounds of the US open like this
  • Options

18 year old rookies, especially British ones, aren't meant to blitz their way through qualifiers and 4 rounds of the US open like this
    Watching the replay now. Currently 5-2 up first set. 
  • Options

Hopefully she still wins.
  • Options

Hopefully she still wins.
    It's tough, making her play the match a second time. I guess the crowd complained that it was over too quickly, and they hadn't got their money's worth. You know what New Yorkers are like  ;)
  • Options
    Raducanu 13/10
    Bencic 8/13

Best price 8/1 for Raducanu to win the whole thing seems a bit of a liberty to me.
  • Options
    Emma Raducanu just qualified for the main draw of the US Open starting on Monday. I watched all three of her qualifying matches. She is looking the real deal. You can watch the replay on Amazon Prime.
    I'm going to bet that she won't ever have to qualify for a major again.
  • Options
    Listening to her interviews she seems so balanced and grounded. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    From BBC Sport, great stat:

In her seven matches from qualifying to the quarter-finals, she has not dropped a set. She has lost just 15 games - the fewest by any player in the first four rounds since Serena Williams in 2013.
  • Options
    She's also only the third qualifier in the Open era to reach the US Open last eight.

It's an incredible run.
  • Options
    And nice to see Piers Morgan praising her.

I think her having the challenges at Wimbledon and her recovery from narrowly losing the first 2 games yesterday shows how she can overcome nerves and press onwards and upwards - they are completely normal but her extraordinary response shows how steely she her mental strength is
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Raducanu looks like the real deal but she isn't the first pretty teenage breakout player and it's a bit of a coin flip whether they go on to fulfill their potential or flame out and get lost to modelling, endorsements and showbiz culture. 
  • Options
    Raducanu looks like the real deal but she isn't the first pretty teenage breakout player and it's a bit of a coin flip whether they go on to fulfill their potential or flame out and get lost to modelling, endorsements and showbiz culture. 
    True, but I don't think she will get distracted from the tennis; probably the biggest risks are injuries, coming back form any inevitable dip in form and the weight of expectations. Also other players will get to know her game too, although there don;t appear any obvious weaknesses.

She has just sat her A levels but I haven't seen what she is planning next.

And I wonder how she will do compared to Coco Gauff, who is a bit younger
  • Options

I think her having the challenges at Wimbledon and her recovery from narrowly losing the first 2 games yesterday shows how she can overcome nerves and press onwards and upwards - they are completely normal but her extraordinary response shows how steely she her mental strength is
    Give it a few months and he'll be slagging her off and questioning her 'mental toughness' if she gets knocked out of Wimbledon.
  • Options

Give it a few months and he'll be slagging her off and questioning her 'mental toughness' if she gets knocked out of Wimbledon.
    Well, at least for now he has changed her tune. She did have a completely understandable wobble at SW19 when she went from zero to hero at a ridiculous rate but has proven (as many of us expected/predicted) that she has taken it all in her stride and making amazing progress.

The reality of sport (and other things) is those with mental frailties get reported alongside those who are praised for their mental toughness. Many sports stars thrive on criticism - always think that when certain players get the stick at The Valley - and cringe that it will probably just make them play better!
  • Options
    True, but I don't think she will get distracted from the tennis; probably the biggest risks are injuries, coming back form any inevitable dip in form and the weight of expectations. Also other players will get to know her game too, although there don;t appear any obvious weaknesses.

she doesn't look the 'type' to get many serious injuries .. she's quite lean and has an athletic body .. her service action is easy and not strained and she moves around the court very quickly and easily without any grunting, groaning, or screaming
  • Options

she doesn't look the 'type' to get many serious injuries .. she's quite lean and has an athletic body .. her service action is easy and not strained and she moves around the court very quickly and easily without any grunting, groaning, or screaming
    Exactly. But the change in tempo, intensity and of full-on professional/tour training and matches can take it's toll on any maturing body when it is pushed. Not meaning to be negative, just realistic - as well as managing my own expectations. Seems the complete tennis player with great steel, attitude and a cool/sunny disposition which she seems to be able to switch between depending on the situation when needed.
  • Options

Exactly. But the change in tempo, intensity and of full-on professional/tour training and matches can take it's toll on any maturing body when it is pushed. Not meaning to be negative, just realistic - as well as managing my own expectations. Seems the complete tennis player with great steel, attitude and a cool/sunny disposition which she seems to be able to switch between depending on the situation when needed.
    I do wonder if all too often players in many sports are overtrained and overcoached ..  too many 'experts' in various sport related fields trying too hard to justify their salaries and expenses
  • Options

I do wonder if all too often players in many sports are overtrained and overcoached ..  too many 'experts' in various sport related fields trying too hard to justify their salaries and expenses
    Lee Bowyer? I think he expected other players to be able to do all that he could and the knack is working out who can do what and who needs to do  to ra=each their best
  • Options

Lee Bowyer? I think he expected other players to be able to do all that he could and the knack is working out who can do what and who needs to do  to ra=each their best
    perxactly  :)
  • Options
    Of course it's early days for Emma but in addition to athleticism and tennis skill, she is extremely bright.

I think that marks her out. I watched the game against the Spanish girl in the previous round. She clearly went out with a game plan but during the match I think her ability to dominate the play actually got stronger. She bullied her mentally. With the American girl yesterday after a nervy start she did the same, not perhaps such a great tennis performance but her opponants game just crumbled.

Big test now against the Olympic champion. What ever the result she will learn from it.