Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iconic shirt sponsors

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    sam3110 said:
    Some that aren't iconic but stick in my head are

SEGA/Dreamcast - Arsenal...
    Wasn't there some story about Arsenal having to switch from Sega to Dreamcast because in some language or another Sega means shit. According to the story, no one realised this until Arsenal got drawn against a team who spoke the language concerned.

Think that’s made up mate, It was Dreamcast on the home and sega on the away meaning the away was more likely to be worn in different countries 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    sam3110 said:

Wasn't there some story about Arsenal having to switch from Sega to Dreamcast because in some language or another Sega means shit. According to the story, no one realised this until Arsenal got drawn against a team who spoke the language concerned.
    Could be worse:

• Options
    think Sega allegedly meant wank in Italian but they had Sega on home kit and Dreamcast on away kit. 

It didn’t replace the other one 
  • Options
    Our best sponsors were in the 80s, FADS and The Woolwich, pure class.

Have never really liked any of our subsequent sponsors although we had great times with Viglen and MESH.
  • Options
    Being from a family of Leicester fans, Walkers Crisps and Leicester City.
  • Options
    The most apt one was seeing loads of Palace fans walking around with virgin on their shirts.
    Very apt. They had Tulip before that I believe which also seems fitting. 
  • Options
    West Ham had JobServe for a while. Or JobSwerve as we called it. 
  • Options
    Most have already been said but for me:

Spurs - Holsten
    Arsenal - JVC
    Man Utd - Sharp
    Liverpool - Crown Paints and then Candy
    Inter - Pirelli
    Milan - Opel
    Ajax - ABN-Amro
    Napoli (Maradona era) - Mars
    PSV - Philips
  • Options
    Stig said:
    sam3110 said:

Could be worse:

@ricky_otto was seen wearing this at a recent home game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not football, but cricket as I still associate Australia with Castlemaine 4X!

Do you know why it is called XXXX?

Because Australians can't spell beer.
  • Options
    It’s a shame Argyle have Ginsters on their shirts and not a local pasty maker, Pilgrim pasties used to be the suppliers in the ground but think they’ve since gone out of business, they were nice pasties! Never understood that, having ‘Pilgrims’ on the shirt would have been fairly iconic.
  • Options
    Remember Bury's Birthdays one stood out at the time
  • Options
    Most have been said but,
    Leeds - Top Man/Thistle Hotels
    Sheffield Wednesday - Sanderson
    Ipswich - Fisons. 
  • Options
    Portsmouth - Goodmans

Norwich - Colmans 

Middlesbrough - ICI
  • Options
    Manchester United - Vodafone

• Options
    Oxford - Wang
    Reading - Courage/ Autotrader
    West Ham - AVCO
  • Options
    Arsenal - O2
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Manchester United - Vodafone

Rothko said:
    Arsenal - O2
    shirt sponsors are definitely an age thing, as in my eyes their 'iconic' sponsors are

Sharp
    JVC
    both JVC and Sharp are iconic, but the invincibles wore those O2 shirts, that Vodafone shirt was the one of the battles between that Arsenal team and United in the early noughties 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Liverpool- Carlsberg
  • Options
    The joys of living in Lewisham will always be somewhat tarnished by knowing that the council used to sponsor Millwall's shirts.

Still don't understand that - what's in it for the council? They don't sell anything, and it's not as if anyone has any choice about how much money they have to five them. Seems like a bit of a waste of taxpayer's money to me.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    MrLargo said:
    The joys of living in Lewisham will always be somewhat tarnished by knowing that the council used to sponsor Millwall's shirts.

Still don't understand that - what's in it for the council? They don't sell anything, and it's not as if anyone has any choice about how much money they have to five them. Seems like a bit of a waste of taxpayer's money to me.

A tenuous "taxpayer" link.

Arsenal's "Visit Rwanda".

UK's Department for International Development give aid to Rwanda (£30m in 2017 / 2018)

Rwanda Government gives Arsenal £30m over 3 years in sponsorship from 2018.

Different pots of money, and its estimated that the £30m investment will drive c. £300m of tourist revenue, but at first sight always seemed a bit weird - effectively Arsenal being government funded...

• Options
    MrLargo said:

The joys of living in Lewisham are.........
  • Options
    4Real said:

Have never really liked any of our subsequent sponsors although we had great times with Viglen and MESH.
    Why is FADS so great ? They were headquartered in Crewe. Sponsorship that is 'iconic' should resonate locally, not just as it is remembered for a decent away day, or have some for of connection with the club - the Palace | Virgin link has already been made.

The Woolwich and KRBS (sounds like Curbs) are obvious. University of Greenwich as well and the Children's charity freebie of course.

As for Liverpool Carlsberg etc, people would have a melt down if we were sponsored by alcohol, which of course we now can't be anyway The betting exchange firm recently caused some enough anguish !

why? I didn't think it was banned ?
  • Options
    Pirelli for inter, 26 years they sponsored them for 
    Didn’t they get tyred of the same sponsor for so long?
    Getter a grip FFS. 😉
  • Options
    4Real said:
    4Real said:

Why is FADS so great ? They were headquartered in Crewe. Sponsorship that is 'iconic' should resonate locally, not just as it is remembered for a decent away day, or have some for of connection with the club - the Palace | Virgin link has already been made.

The Woolwich and KRBS (sounds like Curbs) are obvious. University of Greenwich as well and the Children's charity freebie of course.

As for Liverpool Carlsberg etc, people would have a melt down if we were sponsored by alcohol, which of course we now can't be anyway The betting exchange firm recently caused some enough anguish !

why? I didn't think it was banned ?
    Oh, perhaps not - I assumed it was.

FADS was iconic because it was our first shirt sponsor.
  • Options
    The most apt one was seeing loads of Palace fans walking around with virgin on their shirts.
    Half-kit W*nkers!   :)