Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Over to you Nigel…

From a manager perspective I don’t think he can have too many complaints. There’s definitely enough there to work with.

Now a job of finding the right, fit, tactics etc

I much preferred the formation used v Crewe more than the ones seen in previous games. One way or another, keeping all the players happy is oing to be a more difficult job than it was a week ago

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Tonight was such a clear 4-3-3

At times the lines were absolutely perfect with four at the back and two banks of three all in perfect lines.  

Really nice to see the passing and moving tonight and some fringe players took the opportunity to get some minutes with both hands
    Yeah we didn't just lump it forward. Crawley made it easier for us but having Lee up top near the striker was great to see, should be a huge addition. Have real options of the bench and different personnel offering different qualities. 
  • Options
    If all fit then surely Stockley, Leko, Kirk and Lee all have to start?

Maybe we could go something like this:

Craig Mac

Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington

Arter 
                          Gilbey

Lee

Leko                   Kirk
                  Stockley

Or Lee goes wider right and Leko moves more central to play off Stockley? 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Mmm an okay window we won’t set the league alight but Think we should nick a playoff spot although there are 6 teams better than us, I would personally find it hilarious is Ipswich and Wigan both have shockers, as I know Wigan have an Arab owner and it’s not a footballing town so makes 0 sense, Ipswich are owned by a fireman’s pension fund from the states I believe spending big to try and get to champ and sell I would imagine. 
  • Options
    Mmm an okay window we won’t set the league alight but Think we should nick a playoff spot although there are 6 teams better than us, I would personally find it hilarious is Ipswich and Wigan both have shockers, as I know Wigan have an Arab owner and it’s not a footballing town so makes 0 sense, Ipswich are owned by a fireman’s pension fund from the states I believe spending big to try and get to champ and sell I would imagine. 
    Who? Now we've made those signings (especially the front 4) i don't think there's 6 better teams at all. That front 4 is as good on paper as any team in the division with the probable exception of Ipswich. Gilbey and Purrington will both be back soon as well.
  • Options
    If all fit then surely Stockley, Leko, Kirk and Lee all have to start?

Maybe we could go something like this:

Craig Mac

Matthews Inniss Famewo Purrington

Arter 
                          Gilbey

Lee

Leko                   Kirk
                  Stockley

Or Lee goes wider right and Leko moves more central to play off Stockley? 
    Please not this system .  442 with Leko up front with Stockley .  If you want to tighten it up, play Lee off one of the flanks, narrower, ala Graham Stuart
  • Options
    All depends on how many goals everyone except Stockley will get. Stockley will easily get 15+. It depends if Washington, Kirk, DJ, Leko and Gilbey can get enough between them. 
  • Options
    All depends on how many goals everyone except Stockley will get. Stockley will easily get 15+. It depends if Washington, Kirk, DJ, Leko and Gilbey can get enough between them. 
    They've all done it at this level before so no reason they shouldn't tbf
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

At times the lines were absolutely perfect with four at the back and two banks of three all in perfect lines.  

Really nice to see the passing and moving tonight and some fringe players took the opportunity to get some minutes with both hands
    I’m a 442 man mainly. Not saying 352 doesn’t work but I’d use it for specific games against specific opposition rather than as a rule. there are too many potential things with 352 I don’t particularly like, easy isolation of the striker, lack of runs in behind their centre halves, encouragement to play two deep sitting centre mids, encouraging the opposition further up the pitch etc. Also Kirk from what I’ve seen is definitely a 442 player. 

We’ll see how it goes and hopefully Nigel will get it right, just that formation we had v Wigan, MKD, Oxford etc isn’t my preference. 
  • Options
    Better than last season's squad and Adkins has to be reasonably happy. 
  • Options
    I think the 442 played v Crewe will not work against better sides as the midfield is not strong enough defensively. Watson covered so much ground and broke up a lot of their play but was that more to do with their poor midfield?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I’m a 442 man mainly. Not saying 352 doesn’t work but I’d use it for specific games against specific opposition rather than as a rule. there are too many potential things with 352 I don’t particularly like, easy isolation of the striker, lack of runs in behind their centre halves, encouragement to play two deep sitting centre mids, encouraging the opposition further up the pitch etc. Also Kirk from what I’ve seen is definitely a 442 player. 

We’ll see how it goes and hopefully Nigel will get it right, just that formation we had v Wigan, MKD, Oxford etc isn’t my preference. 
    3-5-2? Do you mean 4-3-3? No chance we play 3 at the back when we don’t have any wing backs.
  • Options
    It’s a decent squad, albeit I still have question marks over left back and what happens if Stockley gets injured, however, you never know if Schwartz can do a job in Adkins preferred 4-3-3.  Given his cameo apps so far you would say it’s unlikely, but you never know.

Be interesting to see how Adkins lines them up.  Think it’s a good thing we don’t play on Sat.  Just gives everything a bit of time to settle.  I’m enthused for the season ahead 
  • Options
    I think there’s good attacking intent in that squad but don’t see more goals than last year .
    As long as we’re consistently tighter at the back then 1-0 wins are good 
  • Options
    There might have been 6 teams better than us a couple of weeks ago,but we now have transformed our midfield options,our attacking options,and have a signed a quality centre back,so all in all I doubt there are too many clubs stronger than us right now.
  • Options
    I get the concerns about the formation and what happens if Stockley gets injured but Adkins is not a mug. I think he's got the wit and (now) the resources to change things up if Stockley is out instead of just plugging Washington or Leko into the gap and expecting it to work the same way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

3-5-2? Do you mean 4-3-3? No chance we play 3 at the back when we don’t have any wing backs.
    Yes, sorry not with it this morning! 
  • Options
    Would still like to know exactly how much input Adkins had in all those signings. Were they part of a long list that he and JJ etc specifically put together and have they been watching the players for a while? Or was he given a long list and told to choose? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Have they? Leko has 5 goals in career. DJ most is 4 at this level in a season. Kirk is 6. Gilbey 5. 

I think we will get goals now but let's not rewrite history.
  • Options
    4-3-3
    MacGillivray
    Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Purrington 
    Clare, Arter
    Lee
    Leko, Stockley, Kirk

4-4-2
    MacGillivray
    Matthews, Inniss, Famewo, Purrington 
    Jaiyesimi, Clare, Arter, Kirk
    Stockley, Washington 

3-5-2
    MacGillivray
    Lavelle, Inniss, Famewo 
    Matthews, Gilbey, Arter, Lee, Purrington 
    Leko, Stockley

Can’t say he hasn’t got much to work with, pretty adaptable side.
  • Options
    Nigel now has the luxury to:

- Change the formation every single game
    - Haul players off after 30 mins or half time and berate them
    - Always be better than the other team...win, lose or draw
  • Options
    Think we should nick a playoff spot although there are 6 teams better than us
    We will finish 7th if there are 6 teams better then us, and that aint a playoff spot.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cs1986 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Have they? Leko has 5 goals in career. DJ most is 4 at this level in a season. Kirk is 6. Gilbey 5. 

I think we will get goals now but let's not rewrite history.
    I'm not rewriting anything. Taking Washington out, if we average it out as 3 each this season that's 12 goals, 4 each makes it 16. Probably some will get more and some less but that's about what Aneke bought last season (his own personal best at this level.) Washington alone got double figures last season, and there's also Lee to consider.

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Nigel now has the luxury to:

- Change the formation every single game
    - Haul players off after 30 mins or half time and berate them
    - Always be better than the other team...win, lose or draw
    And still describe the team as “hardworking and honest” regardless of the actual score!
  • Options
    Much happier than this time last week. Still some worries, 
    1. Goals, not enough in the team, (unless ronnie surprises us!)
    2. Very reliant on Stockley
    3. Left back
    4. Goalkeeper cover 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Much happier than this time last week. Still some worries, 
    1. Goals, not enough in the team, (unless ronnie surprises us!)
    2. Very reliant on Stockley
    3. Left back
    4. Goalkeeper cover 
    1. Don't see it, think it's okay with more players with a few goals rather than one player with a lot

2. & 3. Agreed but maybe the free agent market will come into play

4. Emergency loans will be used if needed