Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Competition for places… a thing?

I don’t know…when I was playing football for my team I was always kept on the pitch for 90+ mins. I knew I wouldn’t be a sub but it didn’t make me coast. I always put in a hundy. Do players really put in less than 100% if they think their spot is safe?

Comments

• Options
    I don’t know…when I was playing football for my team I was always kept on the pitch for 90+ mins. I knew I wouldn’t be a sub but it didn’t make me coast. I always put in a hundy. Do players really put in less than 100% if they think their spot is safe?
    I would imagine it depends on the character of the player to an extent but also I think everyone can coast a little if they get too comfortable in a role. 
  • Options
    A runner or a racing driver will always set a faster time when racing against opposition than on their own.

It is the same in football, they may not be actively coasting but having someone ready to take your spot may get an extra 5-10% out of you that you didn't know you had.
  • Options
    I’m sure it’s a factor. It would make sense. I remember reading an interview with Paul Merson where he said he knew he was undroppable and just used to go through the motions. 
    Personally, I used to deliberately give less than 100% if my team was winning by more than two goals because I hate uneven contests, but I’m weird like that and hopefully our players don’t share that attitude. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    A runner or a racing driver will always set a faster time when racing against opposition than on their own.

It is the same in football, they may not be actively coasting but having someone ready to take your spot may get an extra 5-10% out of you that you didn't know you had.
    I get that thinking in an eg sales environment . The competition is clear. But when someone hits you a thirty yard cross, is your touch 5-10% better cos you know someone else wants your spot?
  • Options
    I think it's probably less about your touch when you get on the end of a cross and more about your determination to run into exactly the right spot to receive it. Which begs another question, is competition for places more of a thing for those whose game is based on grafting rather than those, like Merson and presumably KiwiValley, whose games are based on innate skill?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I think it's probably less about your touch when you get on the end of a cross and more about your determination to run into exactly the right spot to receive it. Which begs another question, is competition for places more of a thing for those whose game is based on grafting rather than those, like Merson and presumably KiwiValley, whose games are based on innate skill?
    Oh my lord,  innate skill I have not. The only compliment I used to get with more than a hint of the back of a hand was that I was uncompromising. I was a CB. But I suppose I played for the love of the game and for only 4 months a year whereas these guys it’s a job and perhaps if the love is less than 100% for the job you could coast?
  • Options
    I feel at elite level of sport, and league one is still very much that, anything that can get an additional small % increase out of a player will help improve performance in different ways.

Whether that's the home crowd, a nice welcoming environment like Leko could, or indeed competition for places pushing that extra step.