Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electricty cable fitting question - not looking for tradesman

we are having new kitchen put in and need a new cable for a double oven put in.
Would run from a fuse box in hallway out front door then into the kitchen - about 8 metres in total

Our fitter is quoting his electrician to do that at £1000 - as a total novice does that seem high price ?

Comments

• Options
    Yes seems high.

In practice any cost is going to be based on a day rate plus material's. So unless this is several days work instinctively feels  a lot.

Some trades will overprice if they don't really want the job for whatever reason unless of course you are prepared to pay over the odds and then it works for them.

Perhaps though your fitter is loading the electrician costs with a slice for him too?
  • Options
    Sounds as though your fitter has added his bit on top of the electricians price. Personally, and as a tradesman I think the price is to high. However, its the price he has given and the ball is now in your court. I suggest you get some quotes 
  • Options
    Once you go outside with the cable it will need extra  protection to be compliant. This adds a bit - but 1100 sounds too much. 
  • Options
    Are you going outside with the cable run?

Will the internal cables be ran externally to walls or chased in?
  • Options
    Cable cost about £60. Do you have a spare slot in the fuse box?

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Thanks guys, fuse  box is just inside the front door on the right. Already a cable coming out that runs to the garage ( doorbell is stuck on the covered cable)  Would need to go in the wall on the left and run about 20 foot to far end of kitchen.  

Just seemed a lot so will deffo get our own quote. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MrOneLung said:

You should get them to remove that dead elephant from behind the wall while they're at it mate.
  • Options
    Cable cost about £60. Do you have a spare slot in the fuse box?

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    we are having new kitchen put in and need a new cable for a double oven put in.
    Would run from a fuse box in hallway out front door then into the kitchen - about 8 metres in total

Our fitter is quoting his electrician to do that at £1000 - as a total novice does that seem high price ?
    What area are don’t pay that price mate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my unqualified electricians experience that’s really expensive.

For context, I had armoured cable run from the hallway RCD to my outbuilding (about 25m). They ran it under the floorboards, fitted a fuse box in the outbuilding, 3 double plugs sockets, an outside waterproof plug and lighting for £600.
  • Options
    A double oven requires a 50amp cable  from a spare 50amp mcb position from your consumer unit as well as a separate switched fused spur.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Looking at that picture you already have at least two, possibly three switched spur units on the wall which I assume are already cabled back to your consumer unit. It looks like your old oven and cooker hood were in the area they are so cannot he not use the existing? This is of course based on the cable being the right size.
  • Options
    That's more than likely a day's work at most.
    Parts will be peanuts. Fella must be  on some day rate?