Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pay at Petrol Pump

2»

Comments

• Options
    I know someone who did work in a petrol station and they would pass the registration details to the police if anyone drove off without paying. 
    My ex Mrs worked in a filling station until recently, she told me that if they have drive offs it comes out of the staffs wages, the filling station has a big shop, subway etc within it. 

She says a lot of customers get fuel and then go shopping so its hard to keep track and have to ask customers did they get fuel. She had a £50 drive off and another for over £40 and then she quit. The station had cameras all over it but they still had to pay.
    That’s outrageous!😠
  • Options
    Hopefully with the current shortage of labour, bad employers won't be able to get away with things like this in future.
  • Options
    Started using the pay at pump at Tesco in the first lockdown having never used it before. A real revelation to me as it really speeds up
    the whole petrol purchasing experience. My other big petrol related revelation was when I found out the fuel hoses are long enough to reach over to the other side of the car. So no more stressing over whether I can get to the pump that’s on the same side as the filler cap!
  • Options
    I know someone who did work in a petrol station and they would pass the registration details to the police if anyone drove off without paying. 
    My ex Mrs worked in a filling station until recently, she told me that if they have drive offs it comes out of the staffs wages, the filling station has a big shop, subway etc within it. 

She says a lot of customers get fuel and then go shopping so its hard to keep track and have to ask customers did they get fuel. She had a £50 drive off and another for over £40 and then she quit. The station had cameras all over it but they still had to pay.
    That’s illegal. She needs to get her Union on it.
  • Options
    The best system I've used was driving through Spain. You had to pay first and the pump stopped when it reached the amount you prepaid at the booth.

We got a brand new hypermarket a few miles from us where you put cash in the machine and it prints out a code that you then stick in the pump (when it works). Shame this brand new hypermarket is closing down next month...

The only problem with the above is if you ain't got space in your tank and you don't use the credit. Not sure what happens then, you must lose it
  • Options
    Sainsbury let you select the amount you want to put in prior to filling up a using pay at pump. Presumably it works the same as the pre-pay stations I used in florida where if your stop before reaching the amount you pre-paid then you eventually get refunded the difference 
  • Options
    Started using the pay at pump at Tesco in the first lockdown having never used it before. A real revelation to me as it really speeds up
    the whole petrol purchasing experience. My other big petrol related revelation was when I found out the fuel hoses are long enough to reach over to the other side of the car. So no more stressing over whether I can get to the pump that’s on the same side as the filler cap!
    In all your years of visiting petrol stations you never once saw someone with the hose over the other side of the car ? 
  • Options
    I hate the pre-pay pumps abroad. With a hire car you have to bring back full of petrol, you don't know how much to put in to fill it. So you need to do it a few times to get it right.
  • Options
    Pay at the pump confuses the hell out of me, and I'm far quicker simply paying a nice person in the shop/ buying stuff/ rabbiting to staff and generally annoying anybody waiting for fuel, but then I have long ago given up on rushing about. 
  • Options
    I used the pay at pump at a tesco’s in seaton Devon it got to £3.80 and stopped filling so the attendant had to come over and he said I had to re enter my card details and continue filling and it would take both amounts at the end.When I checked my bank they only took the 2nd amount so I got £3.80 free fuel only a small sum but it was very satisfying to get one over Tesco!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It may sound strange, but I have never used the pay at the pump facility before, but used it yesterday at a Tesco filling station.

I put the card in and entered the pin and then took the card out. I carried on filling up the car and as the machine said the printer was out of paper, drove off. Today when I checked my bank account online there is a debit of £1.00 for Tesco but nothing else from them. Reading up on the internet, I think the full amount should be showing today. I am now worried that I may have driven off without paying.

Can anyone advise if I did the correct thing, or should I have entered the card details again. 
    anyway, I haven't read all the comments here .. were you eventually debited for the petrol ?
  • Options
    It may sound strange, but I have never used the pay at the pump facility before, but used it yesterday at a Tesco filling station.

I put the card in and entered the pin and then took the card out. I carried on filling up the car and as the machine said the printer was out of paper, drove off. Today when I checked my bank account online there is a debit of £1.00 for Tesco but nothing else from them. Reading up on the internet, I think the full amount should be showing today. I am now worried that I may have driven off without paying.

Can anyone advise if I did the correct thing, or should I have entered the card details again. 
    anyway, I haven't read all the comments here .. were you eventually debited for the petrol ?
    @ME14addick is currently on location filming the sequel to Thelma and Louise.
  • Options

Fortunately I was, I didn't want a warrant out for my arrest!!! 
  • Options
    Be careful using UK credit cards at the pump on the continent, they debit the card for about £200 and return the balance when the actual amount has been confirmed a good few days later. It doesn't seem to happen with UK debit cards, or using a UK credit card at the kiosk. 
  • Options

Fortunately I was, I didn't want a warrant out for my arrest!!! 
    Too late.

if you look out of the window, the guy on the roof opposite in all black is part of the SWAT team - you are surrounded!
  • Options
    I worked in a petrol station whilst I was waiting for a start date for a new job. After a couple of days budding with one of the biggest pricks I've ever had the misfortune to meet and not punch I was let loose. 2 early shifts 2 late then 2 off. It was about as exciting as you can imagine, especially when you needed a dump and had to lock the whole place up. I got told off one night as I'd leant on the button for the intercom to only be used to tell people not to use their mobiles or smoke fags whilst filling up and was singing along to semisonic or some other 1999 banger. A lady who lived next door marched up to the window in her dressing gown and told me to shut the fuck up scaring the life out of me 

A few times people filled up and fucked off and I got asked about it and challenged, I couldn't have given less of a fuck and asked what I was meant to do. When I was told I should challenge and chase them I burst out laughing and told them I filled out their form and that was as far as my efforts would stretch. 

I was shagging the bosses daughter at the time and it was her mum who got me the job. Who I found out later was shagging the area manager. There was also two sackings in my time in the employ of Shell petroleum, one for flashing, a crime I've never understood and the other for thieving fags. Glad they never asked me about that as I assumed it was a perk to eat, drink or smoke what I wanted. I was only there for about 3 weeks. Most dull job I'd ever had 

• Options
    I was assistant manager at the Blackfen shell garage a million years ago, met a lady that Ive been married to for over 40 years. 
    Very worried now Mr @Carter ;)
    Also, the staff had it written into the contract about drive outs, my now wife had two drives out  in one shift, meaning the following week her wages would be zero. I phoned her at home at told her to quit and not ask any questions. She phoned the manager and quit much to his disgust as she hadn't earnt anywhere enough pay to cover the losses , she moved in with me the next day. 
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I was assistant manager at the Blackfen shell garage a million years ago, met a lady that Ive been married to for over 40 years. 
    Very worried now Mr @Carter ;)
    Also, the staff had it written into the contract about drive outs, my now wife had two drives out  in one shift, meaning the following week her wages would be zero. I phoned her at home at told her to quit and not ask any questions. She phoned the manager and quit much to his disgust as she hadn't earnt anywhere enough pay to cover the losses , she moved in with me the next day. 
    @T_C_E it was you who did the drive outs.
  • Options
    iainment said:

That’s illegal. She needs to get her Union on it.
    Do people who work in petrol stations really have unions?

Or is it minimum wage - zero hour contract - do what your told or fuck off  - like it is for most of the poor sods in this country who actually do useful work?
  • Options

That's ridiculous, and should be reported to someone in authority, such as her local MP. Or one of those investigative TV shows